Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

Z

ZQXC

Already got Thanksgiving week 2015 locked in for vacation.
Somebody said that week would no longer be available, who was that?

upschuck

Sure, for the delivery guys... but as someone else stated, the confusion is about everyone else that works there... Feeders, loaders/unloaders, etc...
It would make zero sense for drivers to work and not the hub. What would be delivered Mon.? My understanding of regular/normal is if you got paid for today, you will work day after thanksgiving, minus NYC.

It would make zero sense for drivers to work and not the hub. What would be delivered Mon.? My understanding of regular/normal is if you got paid for today, you will work day after thanksgiving, minus NYC.
Everything that moves Sunday night is what you will deliver on Monday. Last year our people got crushed on Monday.

upschuck

Where do you think those come from? I'll tell you, the people who load on Friday. That monday has always been a good day, because most all air had been delivered, and you can start trace early.

Midnight has been informed they are working Thanksgiving night and Twilight will be working Friday. You are right the Monday air comes in with our Saturday air that morning.

HereWeGoAgain

In the central we are paid double time for the day after thanksgiving.. No language in the contract changed concerning this! We will be paid holiday plus dbl time. Management can say whatever they want but they still have to follow the contract. We will probly lose the double time next contact though. :angry-very:
Yes, it is old news. However, this is the first time management actually announced this at our hub.
They also stated we would be receiving a paid holiday. However, we will not be paid extra for working the holiday - which I believe conflicts with our local supplement.

WESLA

It is what it is
company using the excuse that we must stay competitive ( forget creating new jobs ) will be the beginning of the end for us losing all of our "stay at home" holidays.

day after Thanksgiving lost will mean that Christmas is next , then all the rest.

glad I'm retiring next year.

Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we going to be well compensated for it?

Sent using BrownCafe App

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
The IBT completely sold us out by siding with the company on this issue, at least in the Central Region.
The language in the Central Region Supplement is clear and rigid in Article 15 sec 1.
It states unequivocally that "seniority employees shall not be required to work" on this named holiday.
Section 4 of the very same article outlines the pay rate when a "regular seniority employee is required to work as otherwise provided in this agreement".
The only place where this is "otherwise provided for" is in Article 40 of the National Master, which only provides for an air operation.

How is this not an additional slap in the face in the wake of having this contract imposed on us?
How was this not forseen by the company and union and negotiated in good faith, rather than rammed down our throats, again?

I'm so tired of being treated like I'm stupid and cannot read and digest what is written.
When will we wake up and demand that the IBT side with the members instead of the company.
At the very least we deserve an additional option day in exchange for this transgression.

Bubblehead

My Senior Picture
Correct me if I'm wrong but aren't we going to be well compensated for it?

Sent using BrownCafe App
Depends on what's important to you?

I have always signed up for and demanded 8 hrs on this day, but that's me.
Some people value the opportunity to travel to be with family as they always have, above the premium pay.

How do you put a dollar value on that?

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Depends on what's important to you?

I have always signed up for and demanded 8 hrs on this day, but that's me.
Some people value the opportunity to travel to be with family as they always have, above the premium pay.

How do you put a dollar value on that?
I used to live 4 hours away from my family. You could of paid me $200 an hour and I wouldn't of worked. Now that I'm back in my hometown I'll gladly work.

overallowed

I said a few Twilight guys will be working. Maybe a few Feeder drivers. Really don't think there will be all that much pick up volume. Except for the UPS stores. Just have the drivers unload their own package cars.
I think there is going to be more going on than you think. We are running full ops including feeders in my center. And I will be there. Easy money.