Forcing Thanksgiving Holiday Work Is The Beginning Of The End

PT Car Washer

I think there is going to be more going on than you think. We are running full ops including feeders in my center. And I will be there. Easy money.
Yeah I may have been wrong on this. On vacation this week and after talking to a co worker in the know sounds like I will be glad I took Thanksgiving week off again this year. Just when you think it can't get any worse you are proved wrong. Again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
The IBT completely sold us out by siding with the company on this issue, at least in the Central Region.
The language in the Central Region Supplement is clear and rigid in Article 15 sec 1.
It states unequivocally that "seniority employees shall not be required to work" on this named holiday.
Section 4 of the very same article outlines the pay rate when a "regular seniority employee is required to work as otherwise provided in this agreement".
The only place where this is "otherwise provided for" is in Article 40 of the National Master, which only provides for an air operation.

How is this not an additional slap in the face in the wake of having this contract imposed on us?
How was this not forseen by the company and union and negotiated in good faith, rather than rammed down our throats, again?

I'm so tired of being treated like I'm stupid and cannot read and digest what is written.
When will we wake up and demand that the IBT side with the members instead of the company.
At the very least we deserve an additional option day in exchange for this transgression.
The company is the unions golden goose that's the problem.

Here's an idea if everyone is as pissed off as they sound lets fight for better holiday language in the next contract.

10 point

Last week our center manager asked me if I heard anything about us working on the day after.

Wonder where they found that guy? Unbelievable....almost.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
Everyone in my building will be working the Friday after Thanksgiving, not just preload and drivers. Double time plus holiday pay.

What's next? Well I just ordered something with amazon prime, free two day shipping guaranteed delivery on Sunday. I can see where this is going.

Inthegame

The IBT completely sold us out by siding with the company on this issue, at least in the Central Region.
The language in the Central Region Supplement is clear and rigid in Article 15 sec 1.
It states unequivocally that "seniority employees shall not be required to work" on this named holiday.
Section 4 of the very same article outlines the pay rate when a "regular seniority employee is required to work as otherwise provided in this agreement".
The only place where this is "otherwise provided for" is in Article 40 of the National Master, which only provides for an air operation.

How is this not an additional slap in the face in the wake of having this contract imposed on us?
How was this not forseen by the company and union and negotiated in good faith, rather than rammed down our throats, again?

I'm so tired of being treated like I'm stupid and cannot read and digest what is written.
When will we wake up and demand that the IBT side with the members instead of the company.
At the very least we deserve an additional option day in exchange for this transgression.
Now you're SuperSage...

company using the excuse that we must stay competitive ( forget creating new jobs ) will be the beginning of the end for us losing all of our "stay at home" holidays.

day after Thanksgiving lost will mean that Christmas is next , then all the rest.

glad I'm retiring next year.
image.jpg
Relax. Everything will be alright.

RealPerson

In the central we are paid double time for the day after thanksgiving.. No language in the contract changed concerning this! We will be paid holiday plus dbl time. Management can say whatever they want but they still have to follow the contract. We will probly lose the double time next contact though. :angry-very:

Not everyone will be paid double. Drivers yes.
I have said this over and over. EVERY local / Hub will be different. It will depend on the Volume you have, the weather conditions in your area, and so on.
I still believe the smaller hubs with less volume will still take "Volunteers" and I think that is pay at 1.5 instead of double if you are not forced or even straight time.
My Sup told us (hub shift) that we are scheduled to work the first 4 days of the week, so I would be working Thanksgiving Morning till 4am. Hub shift starts at 11:59 P.M. so the is NO double time just straight time. :(

JackStraw

Had a PCM on this very thing this morning. Was wondering why my center manager was being so nice(I'm sure he'll go back to the nickel-diming miserable SOB after) but in 177 it is a HOLIDAY and we only work on a voluntary basis. 8hrs holiday pay plus double time for hours worked. They want to send out every route that day. If he was somewhat of a nicer person and didn't have a few of my co-workers on notice, I'd help him out(and he is desperate). But as it is, he can KMA.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not everyone will be paid double. Drivers yes.
I have said this over and over. EVERY local / Hub will be different. It will depend on the Volume you have, the weather conditions in your area, and so on.
I still believe the smaller hubs with less volume will still take "Volunteers" and I think that is pay at 1.5 instead of double if you are not forced or even straight time.
My Sup told us (hub shift) that we are scheduled to work the first 4 days of the week, so I would be working Thanksgiving Morning till 4am. Hub shift starts at 11:59 P.M. so the is NO double time just straight time. :(
The central is all double time. Volunteers or not.