Free Money Friday at our center today

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
gotta admit I do have to laugh when UPS is the only company I know of foolish enough to include a set of clauses in a contract that lets someone work 2 hours over allowed every day, then file because their 8 hour dispatch is too hard for them to finish in 9.5 hours :nobrainzombis::nobrainzombis:

U do realize their numbers have no basis in the actual real world. They could damn well know its going to take u 10-11 hours to finish what's on the route but it could show up as a 7.8 "planned" day.

Two weeks ago I ran a 200 plus mile route that they were sending out with 85-90 stops a day telling me it was barely an 8 hour planned day. I could of drove 50 on gravel and 70 blacktop and it been a 9 hour day.

This past week I had a route that ran 160-170 miles was doing 80-90 stops for 8 hour requests. Compare the two routes and I was thinking I was probably at least an hour over on my 8 hour requests. Nope .15. It's all just magical numbers.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Your statement is 100 percent correct. But if the company will not comply with less overtime, then its the only thing an hourly can do....
Well that depends on which region/local you work in, as you know. Here, you could bid into a FT inside job (top driver rate w/ enough juice), or 22.3, feeders, etc. Which is what is occurring in our local area.. ;) So grieving is not the "only thing" that can be done.

But assuming one doesn't want 9.5-14 hour days for the rest of their life, the 9.5 list is a bone thrown by UPS in recent years that at least pays a little more for the excessive workload that they prefer, to reduce benefits and insurance costs. No doubt.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Well that depends on which region/local you work in, as you know. Here, you could bid into a FT inside job (top driver rate w/ enough juice), or 22.3, feeders, etc. Which is what is occurring in our local area.. ;) So grieving is not the "only thing" that can be done.

Filing a Grievance is the only recourse in my Center ,So i plan on making the biggest Cash Grab I can while this lasts. I predict when the contract passes and drivers with less than Four Years Seniority can't get on the 9.5 list the Excessive Overtime will end witha screeching halt for me.
The Company loves money more than anything else so squeezing an extra Grand out of them every couple of months has a sweetness unto itself as well. I feel bad for the FT Supervisors as they are now working 14-16 hours a day in my center with nothing extra to show for it

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I think I smell sour grapes from a non hacker :happy-very:
I tried to make a point, you dodged it. It's cool you love your job and union so much, in all seriousness.

But I think some, perhaps most (open to debate) people join the 9.5 list not to get paid extra cash, but to not work 9.5 hours. Just sayin'.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I tried to make a point, you dodged it. It's cool you love your job and union so much, in all seriousness.

But I think some, perhaps most (open to debate) people join the 9.5 list not to get paid extra cash, but to not work 9.5 hours. Just sayin'.

In our center the average driver is working 10-11 hour days EVERY day,regardless if the driver is on the 9.5 list or not.( the lunch skippers are getting BURIED in stops) Our DM has said he'd rather pay the Excessive OT Grievances than put more routes in so NOT getting on the 9.5 list is throwing money away. This is a phase that won't last forever,so I 'm going to benefit myself as well as I can while it lasts.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
In our center the average driver is working 10-11 hour days EVERY day,regardless if the driver is on the 9.5 list or not.( the lunch skippers are getting BURIED in stops) Our DM has said he'd rather pay the Excessive OT Grievances than put more routes in so NOT getting on the 9.5 list is throwing money away. This is a phase that won't last forever,so I 'm going to benefit myself as well as I can while it lasts.
I agree with this, but it wouldn't make me happy. Personally. Doesn't seem like something to gloat about.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
I agree with this, but it wouldn't make me happy. Personally. Doesn't seem like something to gloat about.
At my building Management just LOVES when the drivers whinge and complain.They are quite eager to tell us if we don't like it to leave etc. I firmly believe Management didn't expect to see so many Drivers embracing the heavy work load.I feel Management thought after a couple of weeks people would be busting thier :censored2:,skipping lunch,speeding,and not working by the methods in order to clock out at a decent time. In their eyes More stops would be delivered in less time with less drivers,production would go up etc.
Management seems to have no idea how to handle the joyful air of yesterday when the OT checks were passed out,and gloating about the free money seemed to chap them even more.What was great was seeing some of the Scared Rabbits getting on the 9.5 list last night.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
At my building Management just LOVES when the drivers whinge and complain.They are quite eager to tell us if we don't like it to leave etc. I firmly believe Management didn't expect to see so many Drivers embracing the heavy work load.I feel Management thought after a couple of weeks people would be busting thier :censored2:,skipping lunch,speeding,and not working by the methods in order to clock out at a decent time. In their eyes More stops would be delivered in less time with less drivers,production would go up etc.
Management seems to have no idea how to handle the joyful air of yesterday when the OT checks were passed out,and gloating about the free money seemed to chap them even more.What was great was seeing some of the Scared Rabbits getting on the 9.5 list last night.

I'm in the same division as 728ups, I know firsthand of what he speaks. He is spot on regarding the conditions in the Centers. Everybody is pushing the breaking point, something has to give. Everybody is beyond reasonable limits, doesn't matter if you are hourly or management.

Overpaid Union Thug

I just don't see what UPS's motive is. Why the incredible pinch on drivers? We all know how greedy they are and that they have stock holders to impress but this is ridiculous. I have seen my share of contract years but what they are doing this year goes beyond what I've seen. Our old timers don't remember things ever being this bad either. Is all of this simply the result of one jerk sitting behind the desk in Atlanta trying to make his own legacy?

Last edited:

sortaisle

Livin the cardboard dream
You know...the ironically sad part of all this is the guy who figured out and implemented EDD, ORION, and the PAS probably gets paid about 50g's a year and doesn't see a penny more. IT guy. It wasn't someone on the bonus system.

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
I can't believe the hours you guys put in. At our center we have an under 9 hr dispatch. May one guy stays out in a wk. Maybe? We are a tiny center. 21 full time with 3-4 splits for t w and th. With 5 P1000 s. Rest 700 s.

Bad Gas!

I'm in the same division as 728ups, I know firsthand of what he speaks. He is spot on regarding the conditions in the Centers. Everybody is pushing the breaking point, something has to give. Everybody is beyond reasonable limits, doesn't matter if you are hourly or management.

I told the Liberty mutual Safety lady the other day that excessive dispatches, especially in the summer heat and humidity is unsafe. She told me "if you don't like the job, you could look for a new one". I told her that "if you don't try to help the problem then you are part of the problem"!

I told the Liberty mutual Safety lady the other day that excessive dispatches, especially in the summer heat and humidity is unsafe. She told me "if you don't like the job, you could look for a new one". I told her that "if you don't try to help the problem then you are part of the problem"!

sounds like she drinks the same kool aide as most of the management teams..

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member

The safety program at UPS is nothing but a joke. They pay drivers on the committee to give PCMs and ride around to spy on other drivers, but they cut routes at the same time to make their numbers look good. That makes a lot of sense, doesn't it? Why aren't these drivers on the road delivering packages to provide better service and cut down on everybody's overtime?