Friendly reminder

Insaneasylum

There has been a lot of talk about seniority being building wide. I being a person at the bottom of the feeder list happen to agree with this. You guys with 20+ years in have earned that right to bid on the job that best suits you and your family's needs.

That being said, the guys at the bottom have been getting screwed for years. What about the progression rate 4 years. Also health benefits having to work at least 1 day a week to have them for the week. What happened to equal pay for equal work? As there had been more people with 20+ years the rank and file screwed the new guys coming in to get higher top wage and better pension.

So here is to you guy's especially the ones with 30+ years. As the multi employer pensions start to fail (central states) who will the burden fall on to make sure ups keeps making up the difference. Oh that's right it will be the guys with 15- years in. What's to stop us from selling you out. You didn't take the time to think of the new guys who had not started working there yet. Why should we think about the people who no longer work there.

Last edited:

3 done 3 to go

In control of own destiny
Wait till 2018. You think the union sold us out on the last 2 contracts??
Now we cant walk out. Orion will be nation wide and live. They will take a few missed boxes for a couple weeks. Even months. For workers at 15 bucks an hr. For UPS to buyout pensions. Concessions galore. It will pass. No one votes

Insaneasylum

I'm only worried about me. :D

[emoji4] and that has become the problem with every thing. Because if we don't change things now we are all screwed. People are delusional if they don't think the company will play current employees against retirees. Here is how it wil go, with in the next 2 contracts. The company will say we'll keep the benefits and 1$ 1$ 1$ for the next 3 years if we don't have to make up the difference of the pensions.

542thruNthru

But wait all the old guys say we are the selfish ones? Now you're telling me the old guys sold us out? I guess what goes around comes around.

Insaneasylum

We at or near the top, thank you lowly peon's for giving up so much, so we can have more!

I'm not saying we lowly peon's gave anything up. We didn't have a choice on the 4 year progression. You mighty people at the top made that choice. But us, the lowly peon's will have a choice when it comes to future employees wages and your pensions. What will the lowly peon's have to give up then?

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
I'm not saying we lowly peon's gave anything up. We didn't have a choice on the 4 year progression. You mighty people at the top made that choice. But us lowly peon's will have a choice when it comes to future employees wages and your pensions. What will the lowly peon's have to give up then?

We just had a vote to put more into the pension fund. All the old guys voted, newbies- not so much.

Gear

Parts on Order
I wouldnt say the bottom guys are getting screwed. But I would say the bottom guy's job isnt the same as the top guy's job when they started. Its still a damn good job. I do wonder what will happen when the new guys out number the old guys. Especially after years of older guys calling the younger guys lazy, self centered and entitled.

The only difference between older and newer mechs are the progression and the tool allowance. Which isnt a big deal. The progression is 2 years and newer mechs have to show a receipt for the tool allowance and older guys just get the money every year. No big deal, times change. We get our fleet, work and retire. Around here PC mechs have 1 shift, stay in your building and you'll never be bumped. Having more seniority means you're just closer to retirement. We're basically all the same.

rod

Retired 22 years
I wouldnt say the bottom guys are getting screwed. But I would say the bottom guy's job isnt the same as the top guy's job when they started. Its still a damn good job. I do wonder what will happen when the new guys out number the old guys. Especially after years of older guys calling the younger guys lazy, self centered and entitled.

The only difference between older and newer mechs are the progression and the tool allowance. Which isnt a big deal. The progression is 2 years and newer mechs have to show a receipt for the tool allowance and older guys just get the money every year. No big deal, times change. We get our fleet, work and retire. Around here PC mechs have 1 shift, stay in your building and you'll never be bumped. Having more seniority means you're just closer to retirement. We're basically all the same.

From what I hear the mechanic at my old center now pretty much only changes oil and tries to fix squeeks -- everything else is sent to the local dealers. Especially the newer stuff. The mechanic that was there when I worked did all the work short of actually rebuilding engines and transmissions. I don't think he ever spent a dime of his tool allowance. If you went to barrow a screwdriver his selection consisted of three or four old bent out of shape ones that should have been trashed long ago. We all gave him a hard time about doing his job with a hammer, a cold chisel and an adjustable wrench.

Gear

Parts on Order
From what I hear the mechanic at my old center now pretty much only changes oil and tries to fix squeeks -- everything else is sent to the local dealers. Especially the newer stuff. The mechanic that was there when I worked did all the work short of actually rebuilding engines and transmissions. I don't think he ever spent a dime of his tool allowance. If you went to barrow a screwdriver his selection consisted of three or four old bent out of shape ones that should have been trashed long ago. We all gave him a hard time about doing his job with a hammer, a cold chisel and an adjustable wrench.

This does happen, young or old. But with new guys, they hire bodies, sometimes they are mechanics sometimes they just have a toolbox. Maybe the guy at your old center cant fix a sandwich. Who's fault is that?

rod

Retired 22 years
This does happen, young or old. But with new guys, they hire bodies, sometimes they are mechanics sometimes they just have a toolbox. Maybe the guy at your old center cant fix a sandwich. Who's fault is that?

Our old mechanic did the best he could with the crap trucks he had to work on. Being an extended center we got everyone elses junk when they got new stuff. We VERY seldom got a new vehicle. I'm sure I worked there for almost 20 years before I knew UPS actually bought new stuff. We were loaded down with old P 400's, P-600s and P- 800s. I finally got a new P-700 International with actual power steering about 5 years before I retired. I thought I had died and went to heaven the first time I stepped into that low riding, easy steering, easy shifting, sparkling clean Cadillac.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
As maddening as it seems to newer employees, the points you mention are just a few. Contracts are always give and take. When I started, I was not too happy about the giveaways in Art 40.

You will see it from a different place when it's your turn to vote. Do you want a higher wage? More pension? Paid healthcare? Holidays and vacations? Ups will not give without taking something away.

If you want to increase or even maintain your current benefits, you will have to see cuts in; future employees bennies, current employees bennies or past employees bennies.

Hard choices with lasting repercussions. For the record I along with many old timers, who chose to be involved in the process, brought these points up during contract talks. There was little interest from the Union or most rank and file.

Ups, as you may well know, has a turnover problem. There had to be a way of not rewarding a brand new employee with a full set of braces for his 8 kids, only to see him go back to Walmart as soon as the claim was paid. I personally know a gal who, after getting her 30 days in, had all 10 of her hammer toes straightened, and promptly went home to the UK, where it's free anyway.

When it's your turn, let's see how popular that idea is to you and your current coworkers.