Fun with Math

Big Babooba

Word Problem
solve the following:
Satellite Driver drove northeast at 80 mph with a truckload of rib eyes.
Covemaster drove southwest at 65 mph with a load of lobstahs.
DS drove south at 99 kph (kilometers in Canada) with a load of Labatts and Molson.
DILLIGAF drove east at 88 mph with a load of rattlesnake chili.
Drewed drove southwest at 120 mph with a load of Alaskan King Crab legs.

Would Stevetheupsguy make it to the party if he peddled his bike nortwest at a speed of 20 mph?

Extra Credit - How late would he be?

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
Word Problem
solve the following:
DS drove south at 99 kph (kilometers in Canada) with a load of Labatts and Molson.

Would Stevetheupsguy make it to the party if he peddled his bike nortwest at a speed of 20 mph?

He'd be so late there wouldn't be any leftovers.

Call me anything just don't call me late to supper!

satellitedriver

Word Problem
solve the following:

I need batteries for my calculator,
but as buff as Steve is,
he will probably beat us all there.

drewed

Shankman
Word Problem
solve the following:

2 things buddy, 1 you never set up a meet locations.... and thanks for sending me into the middle of the pacific ocean! lol
and

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
2 things buddy, 1 you never set up a meet locations.... and thanks for sending me into the middle of the pacific ocean! lol
and
Hey Drew, ya never know maybe the middle of the Pacific has this great little island with this cute little hottie on it!!!!!!!!!!! Have a sense of adventure, you never know what might happen.

BLACKBOX

Life is a Highway...
Word Problem
solve the following:

This is a trick question. There is only one answer, if they all met at a central point this would be one hell-of-a potluck!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
Rod will be bringing the Depends,he knows all about that!!! lets not let mngmnt set up a meet point cuz we all know how that will go!!! They will tell you to meet up in Portland,and me ad BigBaboo will be in Maine and every one else will be in Oregon,but TIE will be in his office writing up warning letters!!!!!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
I was waiting for a Train to pass tonight and I had a pencil and paper so I did the math. (Im keeping this simple for the masses)

UPS Management has 20 friend/T drivers and 5 P/T
So they send there P/T home and send out the friend/T to make 5000stops (250 each ~or~ about an 11 hour day @ 2.5mins per stop)

Long story short it takes these 20 drivers 11 hours each to finish there route.
20 x 8 x 32 = 5120
20 x 3 x 48 = 2880

So UPS owes the 20 drivers 8000$ for there work + the cost of using 20 Package Cars + the cost of (miles x fuel).
8000$ + 20x + 20(y * 2.50$)

STAY WITH ME ALMOST DONE

Now what if Management sent out 20F/T and the 5 P/T to help out lets take a look.

Still have 5000 stops but now its 200 Stops per person. (or a 9 hour day a 2.5min per stop)
20 x 8 x 32 = 5120
20 x 1 x 48 = 960
5 x 8 x 25 = 1000
5 x 1 x 32 = 160

So UPS owes there drivers 7240$
7240$ + 25x + 25(y * 2.50)

To sum it all up, UPS does not save money trying to cram 250 stops in our trucks. In fact its the most in-efficient thing you can do and heres why.

No matter what numbers you plug in for X and Y its still only a 25% cost increase (even if you go thru a full tank of gas and the cost of using a ups vehicle is 100$ a day) the variable operating cost of 20 UPS drivers for 11 hours is still higher then 25 UPS drivers for 9 hours.

Not to mention the following problems

-Driver Helpers add cost to the group of 20 drivers and you dont need them when running 25 drivers

-When trucks are Bricked out at 250 Stops there are more misloads, more time spent organizing trucks.

-Driver productivity decreases at night and past 9 hours

-Drivers past 9 hours need help bringing in pickups (usually done by the management team, but still its an added cost)

-AND YOUR ENTIRE FCKING DRIVING TEAM GETS PISSED OFF AT MANAGEMENT FOR HAVING THERE HEADS UP THERE @#$ and not being able to use 3rd grade math...let alone 101 courses in Management class like TOC solutions and Efficiency Planning.....

On the bright side at least us friend/T drivers are making a fat paycheck off there mistakes.

Sorry for the math...:anxious:
HEY COLLEGE BOY!!!!! UPS has worked this way for 101 years!!!! although it sounds strange the way it runs, WE MAKE MONEY AND TURN A PROFIT !!!!! now put down that pencil and paper before we put a hockey helmut on you and stuff you into a box car and ship you to Boston,and force you onto a preload job and send you to HARVAHD during the day then on the weekends we stuff you full of clam chowdah and make you watch Patriots games and get you down on your knees and make you kiss the feet of TED WILLIAMS statue at the SACRED BLESSED HOLY MOTHER of FENWAY PAHK !!!!!!!!!!!!! good god i love these young minds trying to re invent ups

rod

Retired 22 years
Rod will be bringing the Depends,he knows all about that!!! lets not let mngmnt set up a meet point cuz we all know how that will go!!! They will tell you to meet up in Portland,and me ad BigBaboo will be in Maine and every one else will be in Oregon,but TIE will be in his office writing up warning letters!!!!!

I got them from that astronaut lady:wink2:

I was waiting for a Train to pass tonight and I had a pencil and paper so I did the math. (Im keeping this simple for the masses)

UPS Management has 20 friend/T drivers and 5 P/T
So they send there P/T home and send out the friend/T to make 5000stops (250 each ~or~ about an 11 hour day @ 2.5mins per stop)

Long story short it takes these 20 drivers 11 hours each to finish there route.
20 x 8 x 32 = 5120
20 x 3 x 48 = 2880

So UPS owes the 20 drivers 8000$ for there work + the cost of using 20 Package Cars + the cost of (miles x fuel).
8000$ + 20x + 20(y * 2.50$)

STAY WITH ME ALMOST DONE

Now what if Management sent out 20F/T and the 5 P/T to help out lets take a look.

Still have 5000 stops but now its 200 Stops per person. (or a 9 hour day a 2.5min per stop)
20 x 8 x 32 = 5120
20 x 1 x 48 = 960
5 x 8 x 25 = 1000
5 x 1 x 32 = 160

So UPS owes there drivers 7240$
7240$ + 25x + 25(y * 2.50)

To sum it all up, UPS does not save money trying to cram 250 stops in our trucks. In fact its the most in-efficient thing you can do and heres why.

No matter what numbers you plug in for X and Y its still only a 25% cost increase (even if you go thru a full tank of gas and the cost of using a ups vehicle is 100$ a day) the variable operating cost of 20 UPS drivers for 11 hours is still higher then 25 UPS drivers for 9 hours.

Not to mention the following problems

-Driver Helpers add cost to the group of 20 drivers and you dont need them when running 25 drivers

-When trucks are Bricked out at 250 Stops there are more misloads, more time spent organizing trucks.

-Driver productivity decreases at night and past 9 hours

-Drivers past 9 hours need help bringing in pickups (usually done by the management team, but still its an added cost)

-AND YOUR ENTIRE FCKING DRIVING TEAM GETS PISSED OFF AT MANAGEMENT FOR HAVING THERE HEADS UP THERE @#$ and not being able to use 3rd grade math...let alone 101 courses in Management class like TOC solutions and Efficiency Planning.....

On the bright side at least us friend/T drivers are making a fat paycheck off there mistakes.

Sorry for the math...:anxious:

Didn`t they make this into a movie? Something with Tom Cruise and Dustin Hoffman and you count toothpicks and cheat at blackjack and only get to drive your dads car on the driveway?

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
My center in positioned in between 6 rail crossings, so it happens alot, but brings up another question is why you would put a buisness that focuses on timely operations between 6 active railways.

Same people that ask you why you can't get your Air off when you used to start at 8:20 and now you start at 9:00.

deepsouthmamaw

1hr-15...2hr-30....3hr-45...4hr-lunch....5hr-60...6hr-75...7hr...90...8hr-105....9hr-120....10hr-135 hope i added correctly what i want to know is when we leave 2hrs late how is this suposed to get done...or airpkgs 10 but spread out over your area and it takes 90 minutes.....you have to get a meet point to give drivers work when your new preloader misses your stop count by 120 true hapend this week 3 meets 30 minutes another 90 minutes....on that note management told me drivers were calling him telling him they r tired of comming out to meet me i need to help out a little more...this is a true story happend this week missed 30 stops got 87 done.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
1hr-15...2hr-30....3hr-45...4hr-lunch....5hr-60...6hr-75...7hr...90...8hr-105....9hr-120....10hr-135 hope i added correctly what i want to know is when we leave 2hrs late how is this suposed to get done...or airpkgs 10 but spread out over your area and it takes 90 minutes.....you have to get a meet point to give drivers work when your new preloader misses your stop count by 120 true hapend this week 3 meets 30 minutes another 90 minutes....on that note management told me drivers were calling him telling him they r tired of comming out to meet me i need to help out a little more...this is a true story happend this week missed 30 stops got 87 done.
I had the same issue when I started driving. Not the numbers, just the senior drivers bitching. It takes time and one day you will see the trend start to change. It took me more than a year to get to the point that I didn't need help all the time.
It happens gradually, but it does happen. You will see.

Brownnblue

HEY COLLEGE BOY!!!!! UPS has worked this way for 101 years!!!! although it sounds strange the way it runs, WE MAKE MONEY AND TURN A PROFIT !!!!! now put down that pencil and paper before we put a hockey helmut on you and stuff you into a box car and ship you to Boston,and force you onto a preload job and send you to HARVAHD during the day then on the weekends we stuff you full of clam chowdah and make you watch Patriots games and get you down on your knees and make you kiss the feet of TED WILLIAMS statue at the SACRED BLESSED HOLY MOTHER of FENWAY PAHK !!!!!!!!!!!!! good god i love these young minds trying to re invent ups

Watch this....

Wayne Gretzky is better than Bobby Orr.

In fact, I would take Raymond Bourque over Bobby Orr.

Big Babooba

Watch this....

Wayne Gretzky is better than Bobby Orr.

In fact, I would take Raymond Bourque over Bobby Orr.
It's too close to the anniversary of Pearl Harbor for you to mount your sneak attack!
WE WILL FIND YOU!!! WE WILL STOMP YOU!!! WE WILL FEED YOUR BODY TO A GIANT LOBSTAH!!! COUNT YOUR DAYS!!!:happy-very: