Funny DVIRS?

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I was told that every minute of idle time from every driver costs 14 million bucks so you can see if the company had to do a medication on every vehicle the cost would be astronomical.

I used to carry tools with me and do minor repairs. our mechanics are as overworked as the rest of us.

Ms.PacMan

Red tag this POS before someone dies!

It was written in crazy block letters diagonally over the entire DVIR page like some psycho leaving a cryptic message on his victim's wall.

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Red tag this POS before someone dies!

It was written in crazy block letters diagonally over the entire DVIR page like some psycho leaving a cryptic message on his victim's wall.
all the driver had to do is write up specifics and have to mechanic determine whether the vehicle was safe to operate. it has to be signed off before you operate anyway which most of our driver do not do. lazy.

no wonder our mechanics don't have much respect for drivers.

rod

Retired 22 years
I was told that every minute of idle time from every driver costs 14 million bucks so you can see if the company had to do a medication on every vehicle the cost would be astronomical.

I used to carry tools with me and do minor repairs. our mechanics are as overworked as the rest of us.

I bet you carried a toy doctors kit just incase you ran into someone who needed surgery on your route too. This BOG is an amazing place.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
I had a route one time that had over 200 stops regularly and drove the whole day without a clutch. I know the feeling.
That's stupid and completely unsafe. No excuse for that. Kid chases a ball in front of you and you're not going to have time to try to get it into neutral and brake.

Mugarolla

Light 'em up!
Only need to write up when there's a problem

Typical UPS. Different rules for different places.

The DOT no longer requires DVIR's to be turned in unless there is a problem, but UPS still requires them to be turned in everyday.

But apparently, not everywhere.

barnyard

KTM rider
It really bums me out that we cannot have a dash fan added. I covered a route for 3 years that had a dash fan (old Ford P1000). Those were the last PCs in my center that had dash fans.

I could dunk my head in a swimming pool, have the fan pointed at me and almost feel good for 15 minutes. Also, during the Spring and Fall on wet days, that fan was a necessity for keeping the windshield clear.

FilingBluesFL

I wrote "front end vibrates on Interstate".
Mechanic replied, "don't take Interstate".

Been there, done that.

Then I was asked why I wasn't taking the interstate by management. "Well, how do you know there was something wrong with the truck making it vibrate? You're not a mechanic, are you?"

"Package car appears to be leaking oil or other fluids."

"No leaks found, ok for service."

Attachments

• 2014-01-31_17-52-15_156.jpg
    2014-01-31_17-52-15_156.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 192

rod

Retired 22 years
Been there, done that.

Then I was asked why I wasn't taking the interstate by management. "Well, how do you know there was something wrong with the truck making it vibrate? You're not a mechanic, are you?"

"Package car appears to be leaking oil or other fluids."

"No leaks found, ok for service."

that's just condensation from your air-condition

Some of the DVIR's we receive in automotive can be quite amusing, for example: "Can I get a fan?" "The truck is making a weird noise" "The engine is blown" "The truck didn't start, it needs a starter" "I used to be a mechanic, my truck needs an alternator." "The engine is losing compression" also we got a call once where a driver told us that he had just driven through high water and now the truck wouldn't start lol. Does anyone else have any good ones?
I've seen truck sucks before.

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
Today's problem? My horn started honking and even blaring by itself. This is the worst. Blared for a long 15 seconds as I was in front of a customers house and the customer was already walking toward the PC and stood there watching. Fun stuff.

This is the 3rd PC that I've seen this happen. Total garbage. Then there's the one's that the horns constantly stop working.

I feel like going to the manufacturer personally and yelling at them for messing up such a simple component.
I had that happen to me once. Fortunately, my modest mechanical skills were up to the task of lifting the hood and disconnecting the power to the horn. I have also bought and replaced headlights while out on route, as well as flasher units, in order to avoid a road call. If I have any doubts about my ability to describe the problem on the DVIR, I take the radical and extreme step of actually walking over to the shop with the DVIR and discussing it with the mechanic in person. Sounds crazy, but it actually works....