Goodbye HOS!

Overpaid Union Thug

The only good trucks are on the hd side, lots of brand new vans and trucks, ground side, not so much. FedEx's idea of inspection is an idiot supervisor with a tire gauge who asks you to turn your lights on and blow the horn. I have been in trucking for years before this, trust me, when a real DOT guy inspects your truck, you know it. Ground guys leave the hub with a rear bumper in the shape of a letter U where they have backed into something over and over again. Some contractors were grandfathered in and do not have to comply with new rules on the shape your truck has to be in. That should be great consolation to the surviving family members knowing that the contractor was grandfathered in and allowed to drive that pos.
There is a Ground guy in our area that always offers water to other carriers. Super nice guy. Last time he offered I accepted because I had just ran out of beverages in my cooler and was waiting until I finished some apartments to stop and buy more. The cooler strapped down under his seat but I thought he meant that it was in the truck. I noticed that the bulkhead door was partially open (which is weird by itself) and tried to open it and the whole door came off. I was trying to figure out what the hell happened when he came back and he was laughing and said "Don't worry its been broke for a long time.".

An HD driver hit me a while back and I noticed he had lots of "war paint" on his front and rear bumpers. I asked him how he got all of them and his response was "Accidents happen". I was thinking "No kidding!" and just laughed.

The Ground and HD trucks/vans around here are mostly in terrible condition. Expect one new rural guy who has a sharp looking van that looks similar to the Mercedes vans Express has. I doubt it'll look like that for long. Hell he probably won't last long enough to see it turn into a POS. They rarely do.

CJinx

FedEx's idea of inspection is an idiot supervisor with a tire gauge who asks you to turn your lights on and blow the horn. I have been in trucking for years before this, trust me, when a real DOT guy inspects your truck, you know it. Ground guys leave the hub with a rear bumper in the shape of a letter U where they have backed into something over and over again. Some contractors were grandfathered in and do not have to comply with new rules on the shape your truck has to be in. That should be great consolation to the surviving family members knowing that the contractor was grandfathered in and allowed to drive that pos.
The inspection checklist calls for headlamps, marker lights, mirrors, windshield damage, fluid leaks, tire wear/depth, horn, and safety equipment. Body damage is not a DOT defect although it may be actionable if the truck is in brand promotion or not.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
The inspection checklist calls for headlamps, marker lights, mirrors, windshield damage, fluid leaks, tire wear/depth, horn, and safety equipment. Body damage is not a DOT defect although it may be actionable if the truck is in brand promotion or not.

That's what it calls for. What happens is that the inspection doesn't happen most of the time. When your bulkhead isn't bolted to the floor, your bumper is about to fall-off, or the fender is flapping in the wind, it's actionable.

FedEx Ground is God-awful dangerous, unprofessional, and a hazard to the general public.

TeamLift

Happens all the time in colocations and in case you haven't heard, HD is being eliminated and it's all going to be Ground. Should be an interesting transition.

That doesn't mean HD will run ground crap, forget that, I have done it for 2.5 years and I found another hd route and said to hell with that, packing all hd stuff with swingsets, trampolines and large furniture in a 400 and some square foot sprinter van. If ground contractor is too cheap to hire another driver for his crap, at least he could buy a bigger truck to hold this junk. Easy for ground to haul that stuff, they don't have to load it, they just pull it off on to a dolly, I have to lift that stuff up myself as well as unload it. HD contractors will not be bullied into buying bigger trucks to do grounds job, we already do way more than they do.

Crozz

That doesn't mean HD will run ground crap, forget that, I have done it for 2.5 years and I found another hd route and said to hell with that, packing all hd stuff with swingsets, trampolines and large furniture in a 400 and some square foot sprinter van. If ground contractor is too cheap to hire another driver for his crap, at least he could buy a bigger truck to hold this junk. Easy for ground to haul that stuff, they don't have to load it, they just pull it off on to a dolly, I have to lift that stuff up myself as well as unload it. HD contractors will not be bullied into buying bigger trucks to do grounds job, we already do way more than they do.
Lol get used to it because you are not an HD contractor your a ground contractor. Soon you will get to scale and be in a service area or you will be forced out plan and simple. Learn to adapt

OrioN

double tap o da horn dooshbag
Lol. I see it in your near future. Good bye HOS. To set the track for a new batch of HOES...

Not gonna happen as I am driving a p700, gvwr of 14k, so we are stuck w/ 70 hours a week. Now, if my subcontractor will get those boxvans that are 10k gvwr, then its a different scenario & he won't have to pay for those DOT screenings every 2 years