Got hurt a month ago now it's bad

scooby0048

This page left intentionally blank
Surprised the driver is still working. I thought pulling a trailer off the dock with someone in it is an automatic firing.
I interviewed for a security manager job at a well known pharmacy company that starts with W. While touring the distribution center, I noticed that the docks all had stop and green lights on them. I asked the person giving the tour about those thinking they were to let the driver know how far they were from the dock.

He told me that they lock the trailers onto the dock so that the driver cannot pull with someone inside. Red obviously means the trailer is locked and cannot be pulled. Green means the trailer is clear of humans and safe to pull. The only way the locks can be released is if the bay door is closed and a human pushes the release button.

As big as W is, UPS is larger. You would think they would do the same thing so that accidents like this can't happen and people don't get hurt and drivers don't get fired.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I interviewed for a security manager job at a well known pharmacy company that starts with W. While touring the distribution center, I noticed that the docks all had stop and green lights on them. I asked the person giving the tour about those thinking they were to let the driver know how far they were from the dock.

He told me that they lock the trailers onto the dock so that the driver cannot pull with someone inside. Red obviously means the trailer is locked and cannot be pulled. Green means the trailer is clear of humans and safe to pull. The only way the locks can be released is if the bay door is closed and a human pushes the release button.

As big as W is, UPS is larger. You would think they would do the same thing so that accidents like this can't happen and people don't get hurt and drivers don't get fired.
Outstanding post!!

Why do you think UPS doesn’t have something like this in place?

scooby0048

Outstanding post!!

You know, the footprint these W distribution centers create is comparable to UPS's. The W distribution centers have high tech robotics and conveyor systems to sort and transport the product within the DC like UPS does, the W also has robots that retrieve products from the thousands of shelves to bring to the humans working there for final placement into totes and bins much like UPS does. The two facilities are really quite similar. The docks are the same but at W, they rely on fork trucks to load the palletized freight an not humans to build walls of never-ending boxes.

For the most part, it is generally the same operation. I assume that UPS does not use the dock locks to save some money because essentially you could take a W distribution center and with a few modifications, turn it into a UPS hub. So to answer your question, I assume it is a cost saving thing as there is really no other legitimate reason NOT to use the dock locks. The way I see it, is the dock locks are a one time investment that could save lives and money down the road. It would only make sense to install these in new construction and retro fit the old construction.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member

Amazon has the same system at their warehouses.

Integrity

Binge Poster
You know, the footprint these W distribution centers create is comparable to UPS's. The W distribution centers have high tech robotics and conveyor systems to sort and transport the product within the DC like UPS does, the W also has robots that retrieve products from the thousands of shelves to bring to the humans working there for final placement into totes and bins much like UPS does. The two facilities are really quite similar. The docks are the same but at W, they rely on fork trucks to load the palletized freight an not humans to build walls of never-ending boxes.

For the most part, it is generally the same operation. I assume that UPS does not use the dock locks to save some money because essentially you could take a W distribution center and with a few modifications, turn it into a UPS hub. So to answer your question, I assume it is a cost saving thing as there is really no other legitimate reason NOT to use the dock locks. The way I see it, is the dock locks are a one time investment that could save lives and money down the road. It would only make sense to install these in new construction and retro fit the old construction.
Are they being put in UPS new construction?
Anyone?
I doubt it.

scooby0048

Amazon has the same system at their warehouses.
I just don't understand why we don't. You guys in bigger areas have buildings that are staffed 24/7 and trucks pull 24/7 so people are going to be in the trailers at all times so I can't see not being able to actuate the locks due to staffing as part of the problem.

Jones

fILE A GRIEVE!
Staff member
I just don't understand why we don't. You guys in bigger areas have buildings that are staffed 24/7 and trucks pull 24/7 so people are going to be in the trailers at all times so I can't see not being able to actuate the locks due to staffing as part of the problem.
Agree. With that system in place the sort supervisor would be responsible for:
1. Ensuring the trailer door is closed
2. Ensuring the bay door is closed
3. Unlocking the trailer
4. Giving the driver the green light
Be even better if the trailer could not unlock without the bay door being closed and latched.

robot

Has A Large Member
Outstanding post!!

You wouldn’t be able to put any pups or UPOZ’s on the door.

The pintle hook would mess up those dock locks. Our CPU drivers mess up customer dock locks all the time using wrong equipment.

scooby0048

Because the only trailers these "locks" would work on would be the 53 ft.
All our other trailers have the pintle hook, valves and hoses for assembling LCV's.

I didn't even think about the pintle hook and lines on ours. The system at "W" is a hooking mechanism so you would be right regarding the compatibility. There are other places that I have seen that utilize a wheel blocking restraint like the one below. In our situation, I think these would work on the pups.

WR_1.jpg

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member

We had a couple shippers here who had them. PITA in a package car.

scooby0048

We had a couple shippers here who had them. PITA in a package car.
IRC, the ones at "W" were flush mounted and moved forward (pivot) to latch onto the trailer. I think the only problem would be the height difference between dock and UPS truck.