Got hurt a month ago now it's bad

quad decade guy

I am a feeder driver. Been with the company a long time. We can't get the company to fix toilets let alone fix safety. You have no idea how expensive dock locks would be to install and maintain. Never gonna happen. However, there is a system in place that is relatively inexpensive and built right into the methods for a feeder driver. The driver gets out and physically looks in the trailer for workers. Simple.
If it's followed. But, we are missing a whole lot of back story here. I've had plenty of hourly and management go back into trailers that I have closed and coupled to. This whole situation was stupidly
avoidable. Almost all are. Example: I was standing at a UPS facility dock(closing my trailer door). I noticed the trailer next to mine get coupled. I never saw the driver physically check. As we were doing our pre-trips of the trailers, I asked the other driver if he looked to see if anyone was in the trailer. No. What? He said he never checks! Wow. Feeder drivers sign multiple documents every year and throughout the year explaining safety procedures. There's no way he didn't know. He just skipped that procedure because he is too lazy to get out of the truck. My experience with UPS is this: Safety is not number 1. Productivity(profit) is. You are expected to be safe while being productive. I believe management is willing to ignore unsafe work practices in the name of good numbers(productivity). Our yard is like the wild west....just hurry.

In the end, the worker will follow/not follow safe work methods to the extent management allows. If mgt. is lax, the worker is so. Don't believe it? Spend a few minutes at a hub and just observe. See if all the training/safe work methods are being practiced. Like people running, using straps on boxes, throwing pkgs., speeding on the yard, running stop signs, not wearing vests, use of electronic devices on the yard to even smoking in undesignated areas. It all adds up. To injuries and fatalities. Yes, death.

It is up to the worker to follow the safe work methods/practices. It's up to mgt. to enforce them.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I am a feeder driver. Been with the company a long time. We can't get the company to fix toilets let alone fix safety. You have no idea how expensive dock locks would be to install and maintain. Never gonna happen. However, there is a system in place that is relatively inexpensive and built right into the methods for a feeder driver. The driver gets out and physically looks in the trailer for workers. Simple.
If it's followed. But, we are missing a whole lot of back story here. I've had plenty of hourly and management go back into trailers that I have closed and coupled to. This whole situation was stupidly
avoidable. Almost all are. Example: I was standing at a UPS facility dock(closing my trailer door). I noticed the trailer next to mine get coupled. I never saw the driver physically check. As we were doing our pre-trips of the trailers, I asked the other driver if he looked to see if anyone was in the trailer. No. What? He said he never checks! Wow. Feeder drivers sign multiple documents every year and throughout the year explaining safety procedures. There's no way he didn't know. He just skipped that procedure because he is too lazy to get out of the truck. My experience with UPS is this: Safety is not number 1. Productivity(profit) is. You are expected to be safe while being productive. I believe management is willing to ignore unsafe work practices in the name of good numbers(productivity). Our yard is like the wild west....just hurry.

In the end, the worker will follow/not follow safe work methods to the extent management allows. If mgt. is lax, the worker is so. Don't believe it? Spend a few minutes at a hub and just observe. See if all the training/safe work methods are being practiced. Like people running, using straps on boxes, throwing pkgs., speeding on the yard, running stop signs, not wearing vests, use of electronic devices on the yard to even smoking in undesignated areas. It all adds up. To injuries and fatalities. Yes, death.

It is up to the worker to follow the safe work methods/practices. It's up to mgt. to enforce them.
Well said.
IMO
If your description of your workplace is true.

And I believe it is.

then what you have stated and wrote could serve as your first statement to OSHA in filing a formal complaint.

I could share my experience, strength, and hope regarding safety issues if you care to pursue change in your workplace.

PM if you want.

quad decade guy

Money can not be the reason that a corporation decides not to provide a workplace free from recognized hazards.

And while your style and avatar are amusing, your naiveté(I doubt it) is laughable. "free from recognized hazards"? Money and only money drives every single decision at UPS! Jaded? You bet. Reality? You bet! Almost all injuries/accidents are preventable. The procedure to ELIMINATE this injury is in place and instructed to every feeder driver. PERIOD. The only way to "provide a workplace free from recognized hazards".....is to never have a workplace.

There is a cost to every second that UPS is operating. There is a cost to the feeder driver physically checking for workers in a trailer. They have decided as a corporation, that this is an acceptable method at the lowest cost. PERIOD. If followed, this method(by the worker/feeder driver) eliminates the possibility of this type injury/incident.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
We can't get the company to fix toilets let alone fix safety.

It is National language.... two of the easiest grievances to win.

ARTICLE 5. SANITARY CONDITIONS

"The Employer agrees to maintain a clean, sanitary washroom having hot and cold running water with toilet facilities in all present and future buildings. The Employer further agrees to provide separate toilet and changing facilities for male and female employees in all present and future UPS buildings which have more than fifteen (15) drivers."

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Preamble

"The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf

-Bug-

Integrity

Binge Poster
And while your style and avatar are amusing, your naiveté(I doubt it) is laughable. "free from recognized hazards"? Money and only money drives every single decision at UPS! Jaded? You bet. Reality? You bet! Almost all injuries/accidents are preventable. The procedure to ELIMINATE this injury is in place and instructed to every feeder driver. PERIOD. The only way to "provide a workplace free from recognized hazards".....is to never have a workplace.

There is a cost to every second that UPS is operating. There is a cost to the feeder driver physically checking for workers in a trailer. They have decided as a corporation, that this is an acceptable method at the lowest cost. PERIOD. If followed, this method(by the worker/feeder driver) eliminates the possibility of this type injury/incident.
I understand your position.

You seem to have a fair understanding of how corporations try to save money by creating and perpetuating a blame the worker culture.

What steps have you ever taken to improve the safety culture where you work?

Ever formally report a recognized safety hazard to your safety committee representative for safety committee action and resolution?

Ever formally file Article 18 Safety Grievance to involve your Local Executive Board/IBT in seeking to resolve recognized hazards that were not adequately addressed by the safety committee?

Ever file a formal complaint with OSHA for safety hazards not adequately addressed through the grievance process?

barnyard

KTM rider
IRC, the ones at "W" were flush mounted and moved forward (pivot) to latch onto the trailer. I think the only problem would be the height difference between dock and UPS truck.

We have a shipper that I have done CPUs with a pup. Their dock lock system works with our pups. We have another that the pintle hook has to line up with the lock or it will not lock and they will not load unless it is locked on. If the air line is wrapped around the pintle hook, the gets sliced off by the locking mechanism.

There are solutions that will work with our pups and other trailers, UPS chooses not to use them.

Jstpeachy

I can’t speak on what happens in every preload in the country at 7:30 in the morning but I have seen my share.

Do you see issues that need to be addressed?

At 7:30 egress isn’t possible to maintain, packages falling off the belt stacked out everywhere, fire exits and extinguishers completely blocked.

Management response to multiple complaints? “We are preparing for peak” lol

For a company that preaches safety they don’t listen to any concerns or make adjustments to prevent/fix issues.

Mind you we didn’t have this issue before they swapped the package car lineup around. We have asked them to put it back but some spreadsheet somewhere looks better this way. So numbers>safety.

Integrity

Binge Poster
At 7:30 egress isn’t possible to maintain, packages falling off the belt stacked out everywhere, fire exits and extinguishers completely blocked.

Management response to multiple complaints? “We are preparing for peak” lol

For a company that preaches safety they don’t listen to any concerns or make adjustments to prevent/fix issues.

Mind you we didn’t have this issue before they swapped the package car lineup around. We have asked them to put it back but some spreadsheet somewhere looks better this way. So numbers>safety.
Seems like a valid issue.

What action have you taken to address this?

Jstpeachy

Seems like a valid issue.

What action have you taken to address this?

This far I’ve made multiple complaints to the pt belt sup, as well as center manager. Offered up a timeline of things getting screwed up as a direct result of the lineup change, tried explaining the issue to sups.

Spoke to union rep who seems to side with management (in the south union doesn’t seem to be as strong we aren’t familiar with them).

One day they had a person floating between 8 cars helping pull fly bys which dramatically improved the situation- yet center manager pulls him to another belt instead now.

Basically they moved a super heavy load set from the end of one belt to the center of ours and the loader can’t pull it all fast enough so it all ends up at the bottom where I am.

We ask them to move the lineup back they say no. We shut the belt off to try and find a place to stack off they turn it back on. Essentially we are told peak is coming stop whining.

Solution thus far is one of my drivers comes in early and gets another driver to pull a package car to the end dock and they load it with all the mountain of fly bys.

TL DR: pt sup keeps fighting for a solution but all upper management says idgaf

quad decade guy

I understand your position.

You seem to have a fair understanding of how corporations try to save money by creating and perpetuating a blame the worker culture.

What steps have you ever taken to improve the safety culture where you work?

Ever formally report a recognized safety hazard to your safety committee representative for safety committee action and resolution?

Ever formally file Article 18 Safety Grievance to involve your Local Executive Board/IBT in seeking to resolve recognized hazards that were not adequately addressed by the safety committee?

Ever file a formal complaint with OSHA for safety hazards not adequately addressed through the grievance process?

A fair understanding? My friend, I have seen and done it all-from part time/full time to five different classifications in multiple hubs/facilities. Yes....really.

What steps? Member Safety Committee, Recorded dozens of concerns, attended "Safety" conferences.
I have pissed off District Safety Managers down to the new $8 part timer. And while there is a place
for OSHA, the everyday safety concerns are solvable by mgt./hourly. To be clear-I've filed 2 grievances
in nearly 40 years. I don't file because its humid outside.....

And the Union? lololololol! They're too worried about padding their behinds and smearing their political
opponents while having "conferences" in Vegas. This is stupidly laughable! And while the Union "protects" workers rights, it also allows unsafe work practices to continue by the Company as well as Union members. Here are a couple of examples of safety concern conversations 1. Me: "Hey man you
just ran that stop sign(on the yard) at 30 mph(with a set of doubles) and by the way, you're not wearing
a safety vest and not using your flashers and oh talking on a cell phone on the yard is prohibited.
Him: "friend@%k you. Why you disrespecting me?" 2. Me:(to Safety Committee Co-chair/Union Steward)
"Just saw a driver run a stop sign at 30 mph with a set of doubles not wearing a safety vest or using flashers while talking on his cell phone". Him: "You can't call out a fellow Union member. That's a mgt.
job". 3. Me:(to mgr) "Just saw(see above)....". Him: "Huh". And that's it-day after day after day after year after decade. Hyperbole? No, as real as it gets. This is an in-house problem solvable by mgt/hourly/Union.

And no-one really mentions retaliation by the Company. Oh yes, it enters my safety equation.

[/QUOTE]

quad decade guy

It is National language.... two of the easiest grievances to win.

ARTICLE 5. SANITARY CONDITIONS

"The Employer agrees to maintain a clean, sanitary washroom having hot and cold running water with toilet facilities in all present and future buildings. The Employer further agrees to provide separate toilet and changing facilities for male and female employees in all present and future UPS buildings which have more than fifteen (15) drivers."

ARTICLE 18. SAFETY AND HEALTH EQUIPMENT, ACCIDENTS AND REPORTS

Preamble

"The Employer and the Union agree that the safety of the employees and the general public is of utmost importance."

https://teamster.org/sites/default/files/ups18nationalmaster.pdf
-Bug-

Sounds great! Laughable! Not worth the paper it's printed on. Sounds great though.

quad decade guy

@quad decade guy

Dude, you need to learn how to "quote" and then post.

You've filed 2 grievances in 40 years ?

Wasting your Local's money on all those grievance forms.... aren't you.

My post style works.

Dude, wiping my considerable :censored2: with grievance forms nets the same result.

The only wasting of money is the Union thugs thievery. Yeah, thugs.

A. Grievance process for every day operations is ineffective at best.

B. I don't file grievances because I generally stay out of real trouble, Circle of Honor driver, never had a

lost time injury. Stuff like that.

BigUnionGuy

Got the T-Shirt
My post style works.

Atta boy.

Now you're doing it right.

Before you hit "post reply" click on options and then preview.

You can see what your post looks like. Miss one of these "]"....

and your post is all jacked up.

Grievance process for every day operations is ineffective at best.

BS.

If it's not a contract violation.... it's just a complaint.

But, those can also be rectified, through the grievance procedure.

Don't be a company guy and give up.

I don't file grievances because I generally stay out of real trouble, Circle of Honor driver, never had a lost time injury. Stuff like that.

Are you a member in good standing ?

Pay Union dues.... and are eligible to vote on the contract ?

I'm guessing RTW state.

Dude, wiping my considerable :censored2: with grievance forms nets the same result.

I think I got it now....

-Bug-

quad decade guy

Atta boy.

Now you're doing it right.

Before you hit "post reply" click on options and then preview.

You can see what your post looks like. Miss one of these "]"....

and your post is all jacked up.

BS.

If it's not a contract violation.... it's just a complaint.

But, those can also be rectified, through the grievance procedure.

Don't be a company guy and give up.

Are you a member in good standing ?

Pay Union dues.... and are eligible to vote on the contract ?

I'm guessing RTW state.

I think I got it now....

-Bug-

quad decade guy

Company Guy? Give up? I talk about safety everyday.

Wow, you have this so ass backwards. Been a Union member for 40 years and in good

standing and vote. You don't have a freaking clue who I am or how I roll. But then I

touched a little nerve with the thuggery comment.