Government Shutdown / Congress and the Senate

Babagounj

Strength through joy
An easier fix would be to remove all the illegals from all welfare rolls ; including EBT cards , Section 8 housing , public projects housing , free emergency room health care ,
after all they have not paid into any of these systems . These systems should only be available to US citizens .

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
An easier fix would be to remove all the illegals from all welfare rolls ; including EBT cards , Section 8 housing , public projects housing , free emergency room health care ,
after all they have not paid into any of these systems . These systems should only be available to US citizens .
Most of those entitlements are received by undocumented immigrants because they have US born children. The children are US citizens and by law are entitled to the benefits.

I guess what you're suggesting is changing the constitution of the United States, which grants birthright citizenship under the 14th amendment. You might want to be careful on that slippery slope, there are a few constitutional amendments the democrats might want to modify too.

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
You people act like Medicare is free. I am billed for Medicare (even though I paid into it all my working life). And I also am billed for my supplemental planF.

How about this.. Lets tally up what you paid into it, then deduct that from what you have spent, then, make YOU responsible for the rest and get you off the american taxpayers back?

Sorry, But i dont go to work to pay for your medical bills missy.

Peace

TOS

moreluck

golden ticket member
108ct8g.jpg

Babagounj

Strength through joy
The 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment was ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, whose rights were being denied as recently-freed slaves. It was written in a manner so as to prevent state governments from ever denying citizenship to blacks born in the United States.
Supreme Court decisions

The correct interpretation of the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.
The Court essentially stated that the status of the parents determines the citizenship of the child. To qualify children for birthright citizenship, based on the 14th Amendment, parents must owe "direct and immediate allegiance" to the U.S. and be "completely subject" to its jurisdiction. In other words, they must be United States citizens .
In 1889, the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case once again, in a ruling based strictly on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment, concluded that the status of the parents was crucial in determining the citizenship of the child. The current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment is based in part upon the presumption that the Wong Kim Ark ruling encompassed illegal aliens. In fact, it did not address the children of illegal aliens and non-immigrant aliens, but rather determined an allegiance for legal immigrant parents based on the meaning of the word domicil(e). Since it is inconceivable that illegal alien parents could have a legal domicile in the United States, the ruling clearly did not extend birthright citizenship to children of illegal alien parents. Indeed, the ruling strengthened the original intent of the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment.

The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution - Fourteenth Amendment - anchor babies and birthright citizenship - interpretations and misinterpretations - US Constitution

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
I would like to THANK TED CRUZ for his stance in the government shutdown. I hope he keeps up insisting "he" and the "tea party" are winning this battle on the hill! Nobody could ask for a better outcome than what is happening right now!

Lets look at how its working out for the tea party and the republicans....

Poll shows Republicans taking blame for government shutdown - latimes.com

Republicans with the LOWEST approval rating in history. The Tea Party turning into the most hated group of politicians in history!

I LOVE IT!

Peace

TOS

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
The 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment was ratified in 1868 to protect the rights of native-born Black Americans, whose rights were being denied as recently-freed slaves. It was written in a manner so as to prevent state governments from ever denying citizenship to blacks born in the United States.
Supreme Court decisions

The correct interpretation of the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment is that an illegal alien mother is subject to the jurisdiction of her native country, as is her baby.
The Court essentially stated that the status of the parents determines the citizenship of the child. To qualify children for birthright citizenship, based on the 14th Amendment, parents must owe "direct and immediate allegiance" to the U.S. and be "completely subject" to its jurisdiction. In other words, they must be United States citizens .
In 1889, the Wong Kim Ark Supreme Court case once again, in a ruling based strictly on the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment, concluded that the status of the parents was crucial in determining the citizenship of the child. The current misinterpretation of the 14th Amendment is based in part upon the presumption that the Wong Kim Ark ruling encompassed illegal aliens. In fact, it did not address the children of illegal aliens and non-immigrant aliens, but rather determined an allegiance for legal immigrant parents based on the meaning of the word domicil(e). Since it is inconceivable that illegal alien parents could have a legal domicile in the United States, the ruling clearly did not extend birthright citizenship to children of illegal alien parents. Indeed, the ruling strengthened the original intent of the 14[SUP]th[/SUP] Amendment.

The 14th Amendment to the United States Constitution - Fourteenth Amendment - anchor babies and birthright citizenship - interpretations and misinterpretations - US Constitution

I AGREE WITH YOU... KICK MICHELE MALKIN OUT OF THE COUNTRY!

malkin-outrage.jpg

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
There was a worse shutdown in 1995 with that evil Newt Gingrich in charge. Hillary wanted Hillarycare. What happened in the next election? The uninformed masses have a very short memory, if any at all.

wkmac

I wish he'd put a fence around all of the Right Wingers who have an IQ low enough to believe in everything their handlers feed them. That's hope for meaningful change. I'll even come to your house and put yours up for you.

Congrats on getting the problem half correct.

Bad Gas!

Get Rid of all the politicians..They don't care about you and me...just their own power..I would gladly give up the right as long as all those loser bastards on the left, including Obama got cut!

Bad Gas!

Salary of retired US Presidents . . . . . . . . . . . $180,000 FOR LIFE

Salary of House/Senate members . . . . . . . . $174,000 FOR LIFE This is stupid

Salary of Speaker of the House . . . . . . . . . . $223,500 FOR LIFE This is really stupid

Salary of Majority/Minority Leaders . . . . . . . . $193,400 FOR LIFE Ditto last line

Average Salary of a teacher . . . . . . . . . . . . . . $40,065

Average Salary of a deployed Soldier . . . . . . . $38,000

I think we found where the cuts should be made! If you agree pass it on, I just did.

Warren Buffet, in an interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:

"I could end the deficit in 5 minutes," he told CNBC. "You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.

The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971 - before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc.

Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took one (1) year or less to become the law of the land - all because of public pressure.

Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise.

In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.

Congressional Reform Act of 2013

1. No Tenure / No Pension.

A Congressman/woman collects a salary while in office and receives no pay when they're out of office.

2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security.

All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.

3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.

4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.

5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.

6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.

7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen/women are void effective 12/1/13. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen/women.

Congress made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work.

If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Don't you think it's time?

THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS!

If you agree, pass it on. If not, delete.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
I feel your frustration... they are overpaid and underworked..... plus they suck at their jobs. But congressman are not salaried for life.

According to the Congressional Research Service, 413 retired Members of Congress were receiving federal pensions based fully or in part on their congressional service as of Oct. 1, 2006. Of this number, 290 had retired under CSRS and were receiving an average annual pension of $60,972. A total of 123 Members had retired with service under both CSRS and FERS or with service under FERS only. Their average annual pension was $35,952 in 2006.

wkmac

I feel your frustration... they are overpaid and underworked..... plus they suck at their jobs. But congressman are not salaried for life.

I have no problem with them being underworked because even in that all they do is FVK up our lives. If they worked more, the mess would be even worse. That's why I never understood Moreluck complaining about Obama on the golf course. I only wish he'd stay there 24/7 and take the entire Congress with him.

This is so true of both democrats and republicans.

BrownArmy

Supreme Court decisions

In which case, Obama is free and clear to be President.