Government Shutdown / Congress and the Senate

Catatonic

Nine Lives
I guess the question we should be asking is do we want to have this fight now when we can work out the terms for a (hopefully) positive outcome or do we wish to wait till it becomes an inevitability and it crushes everything this country once stood for? This is what faces us right now. We have the Republicans, and mostly the tea party Republicans, putting up a fight for the future of this country, while on the other side we have the democrats who just wants to kick the can down the road which ends in a canyon. I know for some of you looking forward 10-15-20 years from now is difficult, if not impossible, but the path we are on is not one with a pretty ending.

This is the real fight.

​Even Ryan's budget still puts the US another trillion dollars in debt every year.

brett636

This is the real fight.

​Even Ryan's budget still puts the US another trillion dollars in debt every year.

Exactly, and even that is an unacceptable budget if it has us running deficits that large. We either put an end to this madness now, or let it consume us later.

over9five

Staff member
Exactly, and even that is an unacceptable budget if it has us running deficits that large. We either put an end to this madness now, or let it consume us later.
Agreed. It is going to be BAD TIMES to take care of this. Better to do it now, and get it ove with.

wkmac

This is the real fight.

God point Hoax. Damn if you do and damn if you don't!

Throwing aside the fact that the gov't really isn't shutdown but it plays well for both sides, this does stab right to the heart of the problem. If anything will in time and due course ultimately shut down gov't, it is the fact that money spent by both sides is money neither has nor will have. Something has to be cut, one side wants to cut this and the other cut that so they just cut nothing and hope to kick the can down the road.

IMO they've finally hit the brick wall in that if they cut, regardless which side, bad things are going to likely happen or they raise the debt limit to keep the credit card usable and again bad things are likely going to happen, but avoiding their watch and moving it on to the next poor sap that runs for office. Regardless of which course they take, the reality is bad things are likely going to happen and I think they know but they lack the courage to man up and tell the American public the truth.

Sen. Reid showed his grammatical and etymological ignorance recently regarding the term anarchist but for the moment, let's assume the term does mean one who causes disorder and chaos. The only failure on Sen. Reid's part was he failed to include the entire Congress and the White House as the real root causes of the anarchy he alleged to protest.

The real anarchists like vultures are just sitting over the dying carcass in wait and watching it's death throes amazed how so many who love the state aren't willing to take the hit to actually save it. We smile as you approach death's door having done our work for us!

Think about it!

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
Agreed. It is going to be BAD TIMES to take care of this. Better to do it now, and get it ove with.

YES 9.5, deal with it now, jeopardize the credit markets, deflate the US dollar, lose our credit rating again, crash the economy, watch as oil prices spike to record levels.

Ya, I guess you could call that "bad times" in hopes of ending healthcare for millions of americans.

You people are clueless when it comes to running a nation, yet , you want a bigger military which eats A MAJORITY of federal spending. You also want invasion after invasion of muslim countries which costs trillions of dollars, 2 of your most recent invasions costing the US taxpayers 4 trillion dollars still has to be paid.

You act like this is some kind of game that needs to be won.

You want cuts? Ok, lets gut the military and bring military spending down to levels from the 70's.

We would save TRILLIONS.

Peace

TOS

island1fox

I am sure TOS speaks Chinese ---no chance of that ever happening if we totally gut the military.

Everyone loves us around the world --there is no evil --only the evil Republicans --LA LA LA --

over9five

Staff member
YES 9.5, deal with it now, jeopardize the credit markets, deflate the US dollar, lose our credit rating again, crash the economy, watch as oil prices spike to record levels.

Ya, I guess you could call that "bad times" in hopes of ending healthcare for millions of americans.

You people are clueless when it comes to running a nation, yet , you want a bigger military which eats A MAJORITY of federal spending. You also want invasion after invasion of muslim countries which costs trillions of dollars, 2 of your most recent invasions costing the US taxpayers 4 trillion dollars still has to be paid.

You want cuts? Ok, lets gut the military and bring military spending down to levels from the 70's.

We would save TRILLIONS.

Peace

TOS

Don't worry TOS, you're not alone. It's cowardly attitudes like yours that will ensure nothing ever gets done.
​Keep kicking that can down the road!

BrownArmy

The irony.

It's like Bill Murray in GhostBusters:

"Dogs and cats, living together!"

Democrats are voting against the Repubs who are trying to fund individual programs, like WIC, etc.!!?

Republicans are all of a sudden voting to fund many programs that they've been trying (successfully) to defund for years...

The world would be laughing at us, if the world wasn't so nervous...

Last edited:

Catatonic

Nine Lives

We would save TRILLIONS.

Peace

TOS

While I agree the amount spent on military is way too much, it is around 19% and 19% is rarely seen as a MAJORITY.
Maybe to a left-wing wacko liberal but not many others.

Babagounj

Strength through joy
smokey-shutdown.jpg

moreluck

golden ticket member
raising the debt ceiling......with appropriate cuts in spending.....you forgot to mention cuts in spending (conveniently).

The Other Side

Well-Known Troll
Troll
raising the debt ceiling......with appropriate cuts in spending.....you forgot to mention cuts in spending (conveniently).

How about we start cutting with your medicare benefits? Would you agree to that cut? I know I would as a taxpayer. You should have prepared better for your golden years and shouldnt have to rely on the goverment.

Let see what you say now.

Peace

TOS

wkmac

How about we start cutting with your medicare benefits? Would you agree to that cut? I know I would as a taxpayer. You should have prepared better for your golden years and shouldnt have to rely on the goverment.

Peace

TOS

That's very republican of you.

moreluck

golden ticket member

Peace

TOS
You people act like Medicare is free. I am billed for Medicare (even though I paid into it all my working life). And I also am billed for my supplemental planF.