Have we open the door for production harassment?

nicky

No no no. Never file a grievance for anything. Talk about putting a bulls eye on. Just ask to review you data like GPS, delivery records, pickup logs and ask where they think you can improve. Always put the ball back in there court. With all the stuff they can measure you have a built in excuse on paper.. Use it.

You can do all that after you file the grievance... But file the grievance! Filing a grievance isnt a big deal in my center, we probably file 10 a day

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
Document EVERYTHING and every conversation. Also file harassment grievances. Start the paper trail before they do.

Reminds me of a fart in the wind. They have 14 lawyers on staff in Atlanta and hundreds more around the country who's sole job and management training is how to screw there workers and get away with it. They are quite successful at it too.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
You can do all that after you file the grievance... But file the grievance! Filing a grievance isnt a big deal in my center, we probably file 10 a day

I'd tell a person not to drink rat poison too but if they insist whata going to do?:whiteflag:

Returntosender

Reminds me of a fart in the wind. They have 14 lawyers on staff in Atlanta and hundreds more around the country who's sole job and management training is how to screw there workers and get away with it. They are quite successful at it too.
How do you know so much about UPS operations? Thought you work for Fed Ex?

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
No no no. Never file a grievance for anything. Talk about putting a bulls eye on. Just ask to review you data like GPS, delivery records, pickup logs and ask where they think you can improve. Always put the ball back in there court. With all the stuff they can measure you have a built in excuse on paper.. Use it.

nicky

I'd tell a person not to drink rat poison too but if they insist whata going to do?:whiteflag:

Your suggestion is never file? Thats NEVER going to happen. In my building there is one thing and one thing only that management understands, and that is paperwork! When all else fails make it rain! But if you believe they are coming after you and you get the grievance first when it goes to panel you can argue that they are only retaliating because you filed the grievance and everything after can be thrown out!

Indecisi0n

So your solution? Do nothing and cower down to them? I feel bad for you. This is a job. If I get fired ill put on my big boy pants and move on. Until then I will fight for every right that the union has work to get me.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
As long as you are doing the job by the book and working safe they cant touch ya. Tell them your main objective is to work accident and injury free and your going to do what you need to do to acheive that goal and if your under on time your under and if your over your over. Theres nothing you can do about it.

BMWMC

B.C. boohoo buster.
So your solution? Do nothing and cower down to them? I feel bad for you. This is a job. If I get fired ill put on my big boy pants and move on. Until then I will fight for every right that the union has work to get me.

Your suggestion is never file? Thats NEVER going to happen. In my building there is one thing and one thing only that management understands, and that is paperwork! When all else fails make it rain! But if you believe they are coming after you and you get the grievance first when it goes to panel you can argue that they are only retaliating because you filed the grievance and everything after can be thrown out!

Many a worker has gone there entire career and never filed a grievance. Do you really think the process is there to help you? I know that's what it looks like but how many actually get results they wanted or the contract says they should get? Not many in my experience. So what I'm saying is find a better way. You know, humility, patience, and tact. Now in some circumstances you'll be legally required to go through the grievance process before you can bump it out of the union company circle jerk. I've had union officials and lawyers with experience dealing with the Teamsters tell me strait out the union says to UPS pay them this amount then do whatever you want with them.

Remember the union, the contract, and grievance machinery is mostly Kabuki theater. Aside from wage rates it really protects the company more than you.

Indecisi0n

Many a worker has gone there entire career and never filed a grievance. Do you really think the process is there to help you? I know that's what it looks like but how many actually get results they wanted or the contract says they should get? Not many in my experience. So what I'm saying is find a better way. You know, humility, patience, and tact. Now in some circumstances you'll be legally required to go through the grievance process before you can bump it out of the union company circle jerk. I've had union officials and lawyers with experience dealing with the Teamsters tell me strait out the union says to UPS pay them this amount then do whatever you want with them.

Remember the union, the contract, and grievance machinery is mostly Kabuki theater. Aside from wage rates it really protects the company more than you.

Man you must have no clue as to whats going on in other centers. I am not sure if you live in the bubble of goodness with upstate but around here things are bad. Management is so overwhelmed they don't know which way is up. So when you need something, like for example; pay fix because they didn't pay you correctly it never gets done. It has taken a driver in my center 8 months to get what was owned to him, 8 months!! After the first few months I told him to start filing and he did and finally weeks later he got it fix. Not to mention he was paid more in grievances than what was owned to him. That's how UPS operates now. The squeaky wheel....

BMW if I had respect for my management team and we all worked together than I would agree with you but I no longer do. They are out to save themselves (I don't blame them) and would pull the rug out from me in a heartbeat if it helped them. I treat everyone I come into contact with at UPS the same respect they give to me and I will never change.

nicky

We have been told by one of the 12 center managers that I have had in the last 8 years that we as drivers are liars, friend-ups, and thieves... Want to guess what type of working relationship that breeds? The grievance process works pretty well for us here....

born2Bwild

Gm every one
have read all of your responses. It is not that I am worried about my job, it's just that I hate to be put in this situation and I have no control of it . I have to accept the fact that I am being focused on to squeeze more productivity out of. One problem (theirs not mine) is that they see inconsistency in my report. I have a large commercial area that I deliver.commercial deliveries are sometimes light especially in the summer in pieces and stops, when that happen i have a good day.It is then when they set the bar or the measure stick and accuse me of being scumbag thief according to their mind. But integrity is what I do, I move at the same speed all day every day. I have no choice but to go thru heir disciplining process. With the regard of filling grievances, I'd rather not to. I just continue do what I do. Maybe some of you who have gone thru this can shed some light as what to expect, what to do and don't during that time and what can help to defer their focus on something else.
thanks

soberups

Pees in the brown Koolaid
. Maybe some of you who have gone thru this can shed some light as what to expect, what to do and don't during that time and what can help to defer their focus on something else.
thanks

1. We have all been through what you are going through.

2. What you are going through will never change. Screwing drivers out of their lunch and breaks is the basis of UPS's core business model.

3. Bullies seek out weak targets and avoid strong ones. If they turn up the heat, you need to turn it up even hotter. Learn to adopt the attitude that you can make them more miserable then they can make you. Become involved with your local union, and learn the facts about what you can and can not be fired for and how UPS typically handles disciplinary cases involving production issues. You will learn that, if you follow their methods and do the job safely and honestly, any threats they direct at you are hollow.

4. Dont buy in to what they say about "allowances" or "demonstrated performance"...these are imaginary concepts that they have fabricated in an attempt to intimidate the weak-willed into donating their lunches and breaks to the company. Remember that its all about your lunch. They want an hour of your labor for free and they have developed a very elaborate system for trying to bully you into giving it to them. Its a scam. Dont get ripped off, dont get bullied and dont allow yourself to be intimidated.

Indecisi0n

1. We have all been through what you are going through.

2. What you are going through will never change. Screwing drivers out of their lunch and breaks is the basis of UPS's core business model.

3. Bullies seek out weak targets and avoid strong ones. If they turn up the heat, you need to turn it up even hotter. Learn to adopt the attitude that you can make them more miserable then they can make you. Become involved with your local union, and learn the facts about what you can and can not be fired for and how UPS typically handles disciplinary cases involving production issues. You will learn that, if you follow their methods and do the job safely and honestly, any threats they direct at you are hollow.

4. Dont buy in to what they say about "allowances" or "demonstrated performance"...these are imaginary concepts that they have fabricated in an attempt to intimidate the weak-willed into donating their lunches and breaks to the company. Remember that its all about your lunch. They want an hour of your labor for free and they have developed a very elaborate system for trying to bully you into giving it to them. Its a scam. Dont get ripped off, dont get bullied and dont allow yourself to be intimidated.

This has to be the most helpful/truthful statement I read on this forum: " If they turn up the heat, you need to turn it up even hotter."

The contract and its articles protect you. The more you know the more protected you have.

728ups

All Trash No Trailer
Man you must have no clue as to whats going on in other centers. I am not sure if you live in the bubble of goodness with upstate but around here things are bad. Management is so overwhelmed they don't know which way is up................
It's bad in our center as well. So bad in fact that the Scabs,Freeloaders and Arsekissers are even filing

Dracula

Package Car is cake compared to this...

It's reasoning like this that our union is weak. When members don't exercise their rights, they get walked on, and our representation gets lazy. Stand up for yourself!

stink219

I call bullship on this! Your making this up as you go. How do you justify the grievance machinery helps the company more? It's a ridiculous statement. 5% of my income comes from the grievance process.