High Seniority Lead Cover Drivers (jokes/trolling acceptable here)

WorknLateHuh

This is a question for the centers that have Full time cover drivers. Do top seniority cover guys get any special privileges /perks at your center? Do you choose your cover route? Do you have more pull for random/dead days off? I'm not talking about runner-gunner a** kissers.

Here, you have a little influence as to what route you can cover, but nothing formal. Random/Unpaid days off are not given by seniority, but mngment tends to lean towards giving days to lead cover guys.

I've driven in many different centers and moved from local to local. Everywhere is different. What's your story?

just because
image (1).gif

upschuck

We have a couple "coverage" bids, they choose what routes they want the week before, then that is their "bid" route for the week. The rest get assigned by management. You can request a certain route, but they get final say.

Days off are by seniority only.

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
This is a question for the centers that have Full time cover drivers. Do top seniority cover guys get any special privileges /perks at your center? Do you choose your cover route? Do you have more pull for random/dead days off? I'm not talking about runner-gunner a** kissers.

Here, you have a little influence as to what route you can cover, but nothing formal. Random/Unpaid days off are not given by seniority, but mngment tends to lean towards giving days to lead cover guys.

I've driven in many different centers and moved from local to local. Everywhere is different. What's your story?

just because
View attachment 112501
Local to local? How many states do you work in?

WorknLateHuh

Don't that throw a monkey wrench into the retirement process?

It does... 6 months worth

I was in a giant hub with 6 months of FT seniority down the drain. Like I said though... glad I went for it. This was 11 years ago.
A small rural center is better suited for me and my family

Last edited:

evilleace

I am FT cover, and 4th in seniority of the cover guys. We can pick a route the week before and it is ours that week, or we can go unassigned and take what is given. We have a little pull as they try to keep us on routes we know, and we are free to switch with other guys if we want. As far as dead days they go in seniority order and ask the day before.

WorknLateHuh

We have a couple "coverage" bids, they choose what routes they want the week before, then that is their "bid" route for the week. The rest get assigned by management. You can request a certain route, but they get final say.

I am FT cover, and 4th in seniority of the cover guys. We can pick a route the week before and it is ours that week, or we can go unassigned and take what is given. We have a little pull as they try to keep us on routes we know, and we are free to switch with other guys if we want. As far as dead days they go in seniority order and ask the day before.

Much more organized than our gorilla system of management placing drivers by throwing a dart at the staffing board! Even with minimal call-outs and optionals it's like different routes all week long.

So my question is... they're a bunch of book-offs, do they keep the higher cover ppl on their week route? or do they move every1 based on knowledge regardless of seniority?

rod

Retired 22 years
It does... 6 months worth

I was in a giant hub with 6 months of FT seniority down the drain. Like I said though... glad I went for it. This was 11 years ago.
A small rural center is better suited for me and my family

At least it wasn't 6 YEARS down the drain.

Man Of Brown

So my question is... they're a bunch of book-offs, do they keep the higher cover ppl on their week route? or do they move every1 based on knowledge regardless of seniority?

Around here they will move you based on area knowledge. If another cover driver has area knowledge you can use seniority to bump.

I'm number 2 on the cover driver list. I am thinking of adding a couple more country routes to my resume and staying cover for a bit. I'm hoping that being cover helps with the dead days once I am top rate.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

That's how it works here. I'm a bid coverage driver. By doing this you give up your right to 4th move giveaways. It bit me in the ass once.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Around here they will move you based on area knowledge. If another cover driver has area knowledge you can use seniority to bump.

I'm number 2 on the cover driver list. I am thinking of adding a couple more country routes to my resume and staying cover for a bit. I'm hoping that being cover helps with the dead days once I am top rate.
# 2 cover driver not at full scale yet?!?!?!

Our #2 cover driver here has about 18 years in.