High Seniority Lead Cover Drivers (jokes/trolling acceptable here)

wayfair

swollen member
We do it as well, but with volume fluctuations/call ins/too many guys we can't be 100% spot on with what will go out. This way we cover the stuff we know we will need coverage for, and we have a few extras for the unexpected.

I understand, we had 17 call-in's on friday....

PACNW

We have 12 FT Cover Drivers. The top cover driver comes in and picks from the available routes, then the second in seniority, and so on. There are usually 2-3 high seniority bid drivers that take dead days, so there are quite a few for the top person to choose from.

It used to be pretty smooth, but the top two or three have been on a power trip latley. They like to look through each load, look at stop counts, look at individual stops, and wait til the last minute to make a decision. Meanwhile the rest of the cover drivers have to sit and wait to sort out the rest. Not unusual for the bottom guy to find out what route he is running 10 minutes after start time.

govols019

You smell that?
We have 12 FT Cover Drivers. The top cover driver comes in and picks from the available routes, then the second in seniority, and so on. There are usually 2-3 high seniority bid drivers that take dead days, so there are quite a few for the top person to choose from.

It used to be pretty smooth, but the top two or three have been on a power trip latley. They like to look through each load, look at stop counts, look at individual stops, and wait til the last minute to make a decision. Meanwhile the rest of the cover drivers have to sit and wait to sort out the rest. Not unusual for the bottom guy to find out what route he is running 10 minutes after start time.

That's kinda how we do it in our center. Our on-car will fill out the dispatch list putting cover guys where he thinks they'll want to be but if he gets it wrong there will be some bumping going on. Being the bottom guy when that starts can really suck.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.

I worked with a guy like that. He was a cover for 15 years, got used to cherry picking the easiest rt every day.

Finally bid a training rt. Soooo, they'd pull him off to train a new driver and he'd be covering again, picking whatever was easiest. When the training finished, they put him back on his bid.

But, on days where his bid was heavy, bulky, or just had crappy stops, he tried to give it back to the new rookie. They caught on to that and told him to stay put.

Overpaid Union Thug

This is a question for the centers that have Full time cover drivers. Do top seniority cover guys get any special privileges /perks at your center? Do you choose your cover route? Do you have more pull for random/dead days off? I'm not talking about runner-gunner a** kissers.

Here, you have a little influence as to what route you can cover, but nothing formal. Random/Unpaid days off are not given by seniority, but mngment tends to lean towards giving days to lead cover guys.

I've driven in many different centers and moved from local to local. Everywhere is different. What's your story?

just because
View attachment 112501
No perks. It just means they pick first. We pick daily here.

9.5er

We bid on uncovered routes the week before. If I don't win a bid for the week I am assigned to a route each day. Depends on call ins and personal days but I may be on 5 different routes any given week. Our Sup assigns each cover driver a route and rarely are we able to "bump" to a more preferred route. WAD is the usual response.

Overpaid Union Thug

We bid on uncovered routes the week before. If I don't win a bid for the week I am assigned to a route each day. Depends on call ins and personal days but I may be on 5 different routes any given week. Our Sup assigns each cover driver a route and rarely are we able to "bump" to a more preferred route. WAD is the usual response.
So much for seniority.

Logb17

Like someone else said. We are a daily dispatch center. Every morning a Sup will put us on a route they think we will want to do to avoid to much bumping. Here seniority always prevails. You can bump a guy onto any route cold. I'm number 6 out of about 40 cover drivers. I'd say us top 7-8 cover drivers usually bump daily. I may never take a route. Why? when you can cherry pick daily :). Weird thing is, bumping must be done before start time. After start time you're locked in

Dr.Brownz

^^^Exactly the same deal here^^^

They let unbid drivers bump right up until start time here. Only rarely does manament say no, ussualy only for noobs with no area knowledge.

Logb17

The last time a heard a sup say no the stewards head just about exploded. Management backed down.

A few guys will sometimes wait til the last minute just to screw with management. They are also screwing everyone below them as well tho. People start scrambling. Sometimes it can be a cluster friend.

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
I've seen many a sad face at the pcm, when a higher seniority cover trades diads with a rookie, and gives them the worst pos route in the center that day. They learned this from being that rookie once themselves.