High Seniority Lead Cover Drivers (jokes/trolling acceptable here)

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
We post full routes for the week that can be bid by any unassigned driver. Then those who didn't win a bid for the week pick available routes the morning of. We stagger the start times for them. So top of the list starts at 830, second 832, third 834. If you don't pick within 5 minutes of punching in you go to the bottom of the list.

evilleace

A route is vacated and there are 3 bids put up, the 4th is then assigned to the highest cover driver. The way it is here anyway.

wayfair

swollen member
Guy retires from route A (move 1)

Guy with route B bids route A (move 2)

Guy with route C bids route B (move 3)

Now route C would be given to the highest seniority guy without a route. Hence the 4th move giveaway.

wouldn't route A's route be up for bid building wide??

we have 4 centers in my building, if someone were to retire, the route goes up for bid for entire building, not just center

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We post full routes for the week that can be bid by any unassigned driver. Then those who didn't win a bid for the week pick available routes the morning of. We stagger the start times for them. So top of the list starts at 830, second 832, third 834. If you don't pick within 5 minutes of punching in you go to the bottom of the list.
How's that work?

Basically telling people they have to show up early....

evilleace

Then those who didn't win a bid for the week pick available routes the morning of. We stagger the start times for them. So top of the list starts at 830, second 832, third 834. If you don't pick within 5 minutes of punching in you go to the bottom of the list.

I wish we got to pick like that.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
How's that work?

Basically telling people they have to show up early....
Change their start time at night in timecards. So guy #1 has an 830, picks his route and grabs the board at 833, we change it so he gets compensated for those 3 minutes. I verify the OMS did it the next day. It's all AM time so the preload takes the hit, but otherwise we have 10 guys right at start time trying to pick routes.

Brownslave688

It can bring higher seniority drivers from other centers to your center, putting you down on the seniority pole in your center
Yeah. But he asked what a 4th move giveaway is. That's what one is.

If someone comes in from out of center the movement stops. So there is no 4th move giveaway.

wayfair

swollen member
Change their start time at night in timecards. So guy #1 has an 830, picks his route and grabs the board at 833, we change it so he gets compensated for those 3 minutes. I verify the OMS did it the next day. It's all AM time so the preload takes the hit, but otherwise we have 10 guys right at start time trying to pick routes.

that's why we do it a week in advance

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
that's why we do it a week in advance
We do it as well, but with volume fluctuations/call ins/too many guys we can't be 100% spot on with what will go out. This way we cover the stuff we know we will need coverage for, and we have a few extras for the unexpected.

Brownslave688

Yeah pretty different set up than what we have here. I know what I'm doing the whole on the Friday before or I get told every morning what I'm doing.

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
Yeah pretty different set up than what we have here. I know what I'm doing the whole on the Friday before or I get told every morning what I'm doing.
It can really be a buddy* because we don't have a choice as to whether we get an experienced guy or a newbie on the route, but it gives guys a choice, and I'm on board with that. Saves me at least 20 minutes of explaining why I don't care you don't like the route that day. I only have to listen to the bid drivers this way.

WorknLateHuh

# 2 cover driver not at full scale yet?!?!?!

Our #2 cover driver here has about 18 years in.

Yes, this is would be very strange in our center. I'm an 11 year cover guy, and we have 18 year cover drivers also.

I wish they did this in our center... seems much more productive. How do the extras work? everyone gets a call in the morning for a day off in seniority order?

FrigidFTSup

Resident Suit
I wish they did this in our center... seems much more productive. How do the extras work? everyone gets a call in the morning for a day off in seniority order?
We don't go down the list for the extras, we go down the actual seniority list. Opens up routes for the extras and gives guys at the top an opportunity to take a dead day.

evilleace

We don't go down the list for the extras, we go down the actual seniority list. Opens up routes for the extras and gives guys at the top an opportunity to take a dead day.

Exactly how we do it, they go down the whole seniority list. We also only have ft cover here so everyone is guaranteed work every day.