High Seniority Lead Cover Drivers (jokes/trolling acceptable here)

WorknLateHuh

Like someone else said. We are a daily dispatch center. Every morning a Sup will put us on a route they think we will want to do to avoid to much bumping. Here seniority always prevails. You can bump a guy onto any route cold. I'm number 6 out of about 40 cover drivers. I'd say us top 7-8 cover drivers usually bump daily. I may never take a route. Why? when you can cherry pick daily :). Weird thing is, bumping must be done before start time. After start time you're locked in

Are you saying that you can bump a cover guy onto a route blind? If so, does that force a sup to have to go out with them that day?

MC4YOU2

Wherever I see Trump, it smells like he's Putin.
Here, they will use the fact that a driver would be running a route blind as a reason to not allow the bump to happen.

However if it's in their favor, then suddenly, being blind is no problemo.

barnyard

KTM rider
I am the #2 cover guy in my building. Have 15+ years. Will probably retire as a cover driver.

Here, on Thursday, I get a message with the routes available for the next week. I respond with the route I want to do and they go down to the next guy. On weeks were there is not that many on vacation, I'll choose 'extra' and then I cover call ins or an extra route (we have 2 or 3 routes that are in from time to time). If nothing comes up or no call ins, I'll take an unpaid day.

WorknLateHuh

I am the #2 cover guy in my building. Have 15+ years. Will probably retire as a cover driver.

Here, on Thursday, I get a message with the routes available for the next week. I respond with the route I want to do and they go down to the next guy. On weeks were there is not that many on vacation, I'll choose 'extra' and then I cover call ins or an extra route (we have 2 or 3 routes that are in from time to time). If nothing comes up or no call ins, I'll take an unpaid day.

I like the way your center handles that. How many years does the top cover guy have?

i have over 11 years as cover and have no desire to bid for a long time. Most the routes i know are easy rural routes under 90 stops

wayfair

swollen member
I wish we could choose to stay cover here. I would much rather that than be forced on a route.
what? you don't like routine? knowing where you are going all day??

that's what turned me away from cover..... now I got a tough route, but guess what? I live on it and get to spend my lunch at home every day, for an hour.... you will figure out your dream route sooner or later

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I like the way your center handles that. How many years does the top cover guy have?

i have over 11 years as cover and have no desire to bid for a long time. Most the routes i know are easy rural routes under 90 stops

I wish we could choose to stay cover here. I would much rather that than be forced on a route.

I thought at one time I might just enjoy staying a cover driver. Then I won a bid when the top bid tuned it down. 60-70 stops a day 200+ miles every day.

It was awesome and I want that again.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Not here high seniority cover gets forced on every 4th bid, and if a route goes unbid.
I'd check into that. What local are you in?

You have a choice to get that bid but you can pass it on down the line. The low man would be forced if it got to him.

WorknLateHuh

Bottom can be forced if it's open and no one wants it. Sometimes it's just bad to luck to come in as the lowest seniority driver right as a crappy route comes open.

That would suck so bad. I can't imagine coming in as a new guy and being dumped onto a shi**y mall route or downtown route permanently.

Then again i'm sure most new guys overlook that, and are just thankful to be driving full time.

Two Tokes

Give it to me Baby
High Seniority Cover Drivers are the biggest be aches around and I should know I am one. Cherry Picking the best routes is a better way to go than bidding a garbage route

This is a question for the centers that have Full time cover drivers. Do top seniority cover guys get any special privileges /perks at your center? Do you choose your cover route? Do you have more pull for random/dead days off? I'm not talking about runner-gunner a** kissers.

Here, you have a little influence as to what route you can cover, but nothing formal. Random/Unpaid days off are not given by seniority, but mngment tends to lean towards giving days to lead cover guys.

I've driven in many different centers and moved from local to local. Everywhere is different. What's your story?

just because
View attachment 112501
The contract states cover drivers bid on open routes in seniority order

AlliSeeisBrown

We have roughly 10 FT covers. I only saw a cover bid go up once since I’ve been here. Just to be blunt, if the ft cover sucks, they get laid off probably once or twice a week. The covers that go out and get it done without running and gunning get treated well. Everyone in this center gets treated pretty equally unless you suck.

ManInBrown

Here all the a55 kisser runner gunner cover drivers get RLO's anytime they want. They hide them and don't put them on the board, or they text them in the morning and tell them no need to come in. Guy like me who files on everything and anything, I get nothing. If my route is cut and I ask for the day they say no, then they put me on the over with lights flashing around my name for any higher seniority bid driver to use me. It's a joke.

I'll never kiss a55 to curry favors. Can't and won't do it. They're the enemy as far as I'm concerned. It's us against them. Never understood how any hourly can even be friendly with management. Suckers. I go months without saying one word to my center manager or OCS other than the weekly office visits because I file 9.5 any time I'm violated.