Hope IE has to run routes when we strike

F

Frankie's Friend

Whatever, either way.... actually, the physical work with no mental engagement every now and then is rather... refreshing.
You must be a PDS.

Or a Div. Mgr.

Either way if you think that our 115,000+ drivers are by far the safest and most efficient because they dont have to be "mentally engaged" you exhibit the reason for the divide between your cronies and the people that make sense out of the stupidity of Orion and actually try to retain the customers that you think are a dime a dozen.

Get off the union forum troll.
You had your chance.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

Frankie's Friend

Very true. and then in 5 years when we are ready to strike again, they will have PAS, ORION, diad app for cell phones, and be ready to replace us with a scab force of personal vehicle delivery drivers.

Its that next contract that i fear, they will have the technology to break a strike
Gee whiz. I'd like to see 115,000 Uber's out there.
Cant find enough hourly to work now including feeders.

dudebro

You must be a PDS.

Or a Div. Mgr.

Either way if you think that our 115,000+ drivers are by far the safest and most efficient because they dont have to be "mentally engaged" you exhibit the reason for the divide between your cronies and the people that make sense out of the stupidity of Orion and actually try to retain the customers that you think are a dime a dozen.

Get off the union forum troll.
You had your chance.

Neither. A large reason our drivers are the safest and most efficient is due to the methods, training, and systems that have been developed by people whose problem it is to keep the company profitable. Just as your wage rates and productivity have help management pay rates increase, so have the efforts of people who plan the movement of the product, price the product, etc. kept the company in a position for your Union leadership to come to the table and shout, "Record Profits!" anytime someone looks at them.

My words upset you, do they? Here are some snippets I've found just doing a quick search of "not my problem"

"I never delivered misloads. They weren't my problem. I had enough of my own work"
"Not my packages not my problem. My safety trumps everything"
"Not my problem I put em on the belt have fun with them on Monday."
"Don't even care about those numbers. Not my problem."
"My favorite is deciding whether or not the door bell actually worked if i didn't hear it. I pushed it... Not my problem if it didn't ring, fix..."
"Drive, deliver X 1xx's day, 5(6) days week = paycheck Friday. Anything else ain't my problem."

If you are in management, and you're doing it properly, those things and many other ARE your problem. So those aren't MY words. They're the prevailing attitude of a number of people on this forum.

So yea, when an on road supervisor's biggest issue is they have to pull over in a strip mall parking lot after getting their airs and maybe a large RDC commercial stop off the truck and resorting the whole thing, remembering the next 5 stops (that are also in EDD) on a route that sup is familiar with is a lot lower mental load than most management deals with on a daily basis.

Indecisi0n

I am too. I get that you'd rather be working. That's why I accommodated for that in my original post.

I, like many, would rather not work 50 hours+ per week as the norm. I understand that it is the "norm" for UPS, but it does not mean that I have to like it.

That's why the 9.5 list makes this place somewhat tolerable. Thank you for coming and getting my over dispatch. Enjoy your 60 sir.
Working 50 hrs while being respected is a lot different than working 50 and being harassed daily.

rod

Retired 22 years
How can a center manager have problems now? They are told every morning how many trucks to put on the road. They are instructed from above on day to day operations. All they have to do is fill that amount of trucks and scream for everyone to get out of the building (dispatches be damned) so they can get to their air conditioned offices.

dudebro

How can a center manager have problems now? They are told every morning how many trucks to put on the road. They are instructed from above on day to day operations. All they have to do is fill that amount of trucks and scream for everyone to get out of the building (dispatches be damned) so they can get to their air conditioned offices.

That might be what it looks like, but that isn't what it is.

F

Frankie's Friend

My words upset you, do they? If you are in management, and you're doing it properly, those things and many other ARE your problem. So those aren't MY words. They're the prevailing attitude of a number of people on this forum.
Simply put in response: Petty.

Your numbers are not my problem jack. You gotta code 02 in your diad to achieve your numbers. That says a lot.

Your words dont upset me ...
your disrespect does.
20180121_152237.jpg

20180121_152352.jpg
20180121_152301.jpg

We haven't forgotten Dude, you're not my bro.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
driving isn't less stress than management, it's just a more physical and awareness stress than a scheming or strategy stress

the constant sense of accomplishment throughout the day (for each stop delivered) lowers the stress as you go

in management for every accomplishment you make you become aware of a new problem or issue to resolve so the stress never really lowers, though it was never as high to begin with as a drivers would be

as to harassment, if you're working at a brisk, safe pace and not flaunting any rules on purpose, you just shrug off what management says and hide behind grievances if they push the issue

Dhydratd

...the constant sense of accomplishment throughout the day (for each stop delivered) lowers the stress as you go
This just proves how out of touch with reality you "IE" guys are!
Your words were true when this was a 9-5 job like yours is, when 5pm rolled around and I knew I would be at home with my family soon. Now, 5pm rolls around and I still have 3-4 hours of work left. The "sense of accomplishment" is beat out of me and replaced with exhaustion and frustration knowing that my family will be in bed when I return home and that I won't be getting enough rest before having to report to work the next day to yet another over-dispatched truck so that I can do it all over again.

Johney

It sure as hell is where I'm at.

Your words were true when this was a 9-5 job like yours is, when 5pm rolled around and I knew I would be at home with my family soon. Now, 5pm rolls around and I still have 3-4 hours of work left. The "sense of accomplishment" is beat out of me and replaced with exhaustion and frustration knowing that my family will be in bed when I return home and that I won't be getting enough rest before having to report to work the next day to yet another over-dispatched truck so that I can do it all over again.
And when you get close to getting done, you can look forward to the green light of death.

dudebro

Simply put in response: Petty.

Your numbers are not my problem jack. You gotta code 02 in your diad to achieve your numbers. That says a lot.

Your words dont upset me ...
your disrespect does.

We haven't forgotten Dude, you're not my bro.

You're digging up Dave Murray from 1997 as a rallying cry? Ooof....

Gas was $1.22 a gallon. You could go see Titanic for $4.50. Harry Potter wasn't even a thing yet.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
money, time, low stress

pick two

35years

Gravy route

Gas was $1.22 a gallon. You could go see Titanic for $4.50. Harry Potter wasn't even a thing yet.

And in 1997...
Drivers started at 8:15 A.M. and off by 5:30.
More than half of the UPS union workforce was not part time.
"Dishonesty" was not abused as an excuse to fire.
No driver worked anywhere close to 70 hours a week, ever.
Peak lasted 3 weeks.
I had never worked a Saturday in my first 20 years.
A ton of metrics and sensors did not exist.

The quotes from Dave Murray in 1997 are very applicable to show how much worse the job is today.

Last edited:

35years

Gravy route
Here are some snippets I've found just doing a quick search of "not my problem"
Kind of like my manager's attitude...

You have a event at your kid's school..."Not my problem".
Your wife has doctor's appointment...'Not my problem (NMP)".
You have worked past 11:00 P.M. two weeks in a row at peak..."NMP".
You need an 8 hr and we have 5% with 8 hrs already "NMP".
You want a vacation day but brown-noser has his 3rd day off..."NMP".
You want to service your customer but it would cost 3 minutes..."NMP".
You want your area re-looped..."NMP".
You had an accident which was actually unavoidable but DM says discipline.."NMP".

Yeah, on roads and CMs really care about their employees and this company.
So much more than drivers.
Most of you sit in the office and protect your little chunk of the metrics assigned to you without regard to your co-workers or the customers.

Then you pretend you are so important and loyal to the company then lie through your teeth to protect your own behind, throwing others under the bus.

Rings true doesn't it? We see it all the time. So stop acting so high and mighty.

F

Frankie's Friend

Gas was $1.22 a gallon.
You remind me of him.

Who cares about what things cost in 97? I do remember what the company netted tho...

1 billion.

Today almost 6 billion.

And you're asking for concessions.

F

Frankie's Friend

Kind of like my manager's attitude...

You have a event at your kid's school..."Not my problem".
Your wife has doctor's appointment...'Not my problem (NMP)".
You have worked past 11:00 P.M. two weeks in a row at peak..."NMP".
You need an 8 hr and we have 5% with 8 hrs already "NMP".
You want a vacation day but brown-noser has his 3rd day off..."NMP".
You want to service your customer but it would cost 3 minutes..."NMP".
You want your area re-looped..."NMP".
You had an accident which was actually unavoidable but DM says discipline.."NMP".

Yeah, on roads and CMs really care about their employees and this company.
So much more than drivers.
Most of you sit in the office and protect your little chunk of the metrics assigned to you without regard to your co-workers or the customers.

Then you pretend you are so important and loyal to the company then lie through your teeth to protect your own behind, throwing others under the bus.

Rings true doesn't it? We see it all the time. So stop acting so high and mighty.
Yep.
Tell him.
He can stay off the union forum venue.
Dudebro Murray. Last, best, and final post.
Nice job @35years .

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
No, that's virtually exactly what goes on. Spent 20 years on road, did last 10 in building. Once the yelling at drivers to get out of the building subsides at 8:50, let the Starbucks runs begin. How many times I walk into the office to find management huddled around computer watching YouTube vids, online shopping, hell, they even set up a cornhole game. Thought no one was watching, wrong! My favourite part was watching them squirm when the DM would come in for a few hours, and nothing was in order. But alas, management looks out for their own. Bad management still gets rewarded based on union sweat.

F

Frankie's Friend

driving isn't less stress than management, it's just a more physical and awareness stress than a scheming or strategy stress

the constant sense of accomplishment throughout the day (for each stop delivered) lowers the stress as you go

in management for every accomplishment you make you become aware of a new problem or issue to resolve so the stress never really lowers, though it was never as high to begin with as a drivers would be

as to harassment, if you're working at a brisk, safe pace and not flaunting any rules on purpose, you just shrug off what management says and hide behind grievances if they push the issue
But, "hiding" is not an option anymore.
The grievance procedure is only as good as your representation.
This is not a union Visa card.

F

Frankie's Friend

No, that's virtually exactly what goes on. Spent 20 years on road, did last 10 in building. Once the yelling at drivers to get out of the building subsides at 8:50, let the Starbucks runs begin. How many times I walk into the office to find management huddled around computer watching YouTube vids, online shopping, hell, they even set up a cornhole game. Thought no one was watching, wrong! My favourite part was watching them squirm when the DM would come in for a few hours, and nothing was in order. But alas, management looks out for their own. Bad management still gets rewarded based on union sweat.
This is truth ^.

The driver has a 30 working day qualification period.
The "management qualification period" has to do with being a good soldier. Being knowledgeable about the CBA is never a part of that qualification period by what we have experienced the last 25 yrs.

When the company signs the cba it appears that the "scheming" and "strategy" @TearsInRain asserts is their struggle to break the contract on day two.