Hope IE has to run routes when we strike

dudebro

I'm thinking it's you that doesn't understand how the system works. Yes, there's 30 million pieces in the system, the majority of which are in transit. There are only 1 days worth of volume at the destination building. Feeders were not running. Packages in transit were stuck. So you guys had 2 weeks to deliver 1 days worth of volume, and that didn't happen. 50 routes a day leave our building. Sitting on the picket line, even 7 beers in, we could count the 1 package car that left our building daily, and for only about 2-3 hours a day. Figure 10-15 friend/t and p/t management inside at any given time, guessing a whole lot of sitting around doing nothing going on. Building was still full of packages the day we returned. They cherry picked 1 or 2 bulk stops a day, that's it.
Number of wrong statements there. Feeders were running and planes were flying with management. Not as mamy feeder jobs and flights, obviously, but not nothing.

The 1997 strike started at 0001 on Monday Aug 3 so most of the destination work had arrived over the weekend when Teamsters feeder drivers were still on their regular schedule. Large day sorts that ran on Friday had processed work from outside 1 day range and positioned the work over the weekend.

Maybe other parts of the country stopped, but the Jersey suburbs of NYC absolutely did not.

That said. I would like to see the Teamsters settle on a fair contract prior to July 31.

a911scanner

I am too. I get that you'd rather be working. That's why I accommodated for that in my original post.

I, like many, would rather not work 50 hours+ per week as the norm. I understand that it is the "norm" for UPS, but it does not mean that I have to like it.

That's why the 9.5 list makes this place somewhat tolerable. Thank you for coming and getting my over dispatch. Enjoy your 60 sir.

rod

Retired 22 years
It seemed to me they were a bunch of losers without jobs who don't care about any causes, just looking for an opportunity to start trouble or punch someone under the color of "fighting for the working man"

I don't know what you spent your time doing here, but you don't seem to understand the system very well. If the drivers strike and there are ~30M packages in the system, there will be more than one day of work for management to clean it out. There's no way the management remaining can deliver anywhere near the amount of packages the drivers do - there aren't enough of us.

I guess when you were 7 beers in on the line you thought management was "pretending" to go out, but from the inside, I can tell you we were flushing out whatever was in the system, highest priority packages first, then, picking up and delivering 1DA to maximize the revenue from the much smaller mgmt workforce.
I know what went on “inside” during the last strike. We had an inside spy who told us. The bottom line is—-not much. I don’t understand why you think you saved the day with your feeble effort at delivering a few packages. Your side totally failed.

rod

Retired 22 years
It seemed to me they were a bunch of losers without jobs who don't care about any causes, just looking for an opportunity to start trouble or punch someone under the color of "fighting for the working man"

I don't know what you spent your time doing here, but you don't seem to understand the system very well. If the drivers strike and there are ~30M packages in the system, there will be more than one day of work for management to clean it out. There's no way the management remaining can deliver anywhere near the amount of packages the drivers do - there aren't enough of us.

I guess when you were 7 beers in on the line you thought management was "pretending" to go out, but from the inside, I can tell you we were flushing out whatever was in the system, highest priority packages first, then, picking up and delivering 1DA to maximize the revenue from the much smaller mgmt workforce.

At my old center a few packages were delivered in the first couple of days but management soon tired of actual physical work and spent the remaining strike calling people to come and pick up their stuff.

Last edited:

Johney

At my old center a few packages were delivered in the first couple of days but management soon tired of actual physical work and spent the remaining strike calling people to come and pick up their packages.
I remember management driving out the gate past strikers smoking big cigars only to just drive around to just show package cars on the street. Never delivering a box.

rod

Retired 22 years
I remember management driving out the gate past strikers smoking big cigars only to just drive around to just show package cars on the street. Never delivering a box.
That happened a lot . We even had a couple of feeders show up (empty) to try to make the strikers believe stuff was moving through the system. The feeders were met by local law enforcement (also Teamsters by the way) at the building to make sure they were being driven by qualified drivers.

That happened a lot . We even had a couple of feeders show up (empty) to try to make the strikers believe stuff was moving through the system. The feeders were met by local law enforcement (also Teamsters by the way) at the building to make sure they were being driven by qualified drivers.
The cops here was absolutely wonderful

brown_trousers

Maybe not, but it is much much more easily conceived now than ever, that UPS could have scabs come in and run routes, load cars, sort pkgs. That is the point of PAS, ORION, etc. Any idiot can jump in and do the jobs as they are completely de-skilled. That wasn't around in '97.

Very true. and then in 5 years when we are ready to strike again, they will have PAS, ORION, diad app for cell phones, and be ready to replace us with a scab force of personal vehicle delivery drivers.

Its that next contract that i fear, they will have the technology to break a strike