Hope IE has to run routes when we strike

UnconTROLLed

perfection
I wasn't so much trying to put words in your mouth as I was responding to your post. The overnight comment was just suggesting that UPS would be naive to think that their systems could make a transition to a new crew painless. Yes, perhaps it would be easier now vs. 1997, but the de-skilling you mention has also occurred within the ranks of management. Many of them simply don't have the knowledge or experience to pull such a large scale transition off. Simply throwing money at new people will not make it less painless either. Yes it will attract virtually everyone, but the disruption would still occur, and customers will not be as patient as they were in 97. There are also more options now as well. Yes, any one idiot can be trained to do the job, but 200,000 idiots? All at once. While business evaporates. Doesn't seem like a good idea for anyone involved.
you are correct but again I wasn't implying that. It would be a catastrophic for UPS as we know it and would take months and years to work itself out. However I'm sure they would survive without the union in the long run, and the recovery time would be much less than '97 or '67 or whatever.

Staydryitsraining

Wooshhh...not once did I say or imply any of the words you are putting in my mouth. The fact remains that it would be easier to do so now than 20 years ago. I did not say it is possible overnight. It would also be easy to pay more in wages to a non union workforce to attract more people. (Perhaps with lesser health/bennies) remember that keeping good part time help is less likely with the throwaway union wages
Not true, Frito lay pays 17 an hour for their loaders and unloaders. Thats alot of money for that job and at least where I'm at they cant keep anyone either. They are non union

Customers left us ... some never came back ... just saying ... if a strike is warranted by all means yes .... but there is repracussions after the fact
A strike would be a big loss for the company and the union. Hopefully they get it together. We only have two months before the contract expires....

Staydryitsraining

Customers left us ... some never came back ... just saying ... if a strike is warranted by all means yes .... but there is repracussions after the fact
Oh. From that aspect yea i dont see the company going there, but with the 2 bozos running the talks i dont see the company needing too.

Indecisi0n

We know these routes in/out. We know all our customers, where they want their stuff and all route shortcuts. Even with all this knowledge and the current work flow a lot of routes still aren't manageable. There is no way on Earth management would be able to handle even half of this. A week down would set them back so bad. Not only would we make back the money lost for that week but we would make even more with all the OT trying to clean up their mess.

And that's not taking shareholders into consideration. They want their money, they don't want to hear about UPS tactics against the union. Right now they are happier than a pig in :censored2: with profits.