How Bad Will Peak Be?

Realistically, How Bad Will Peak Be?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Your numbers simply reaffirm what I was talking about . 2 million a day was about the best it could do prior to the buyout. Now post buyout in the 13 million a day range. That came about as a result of Fat Freddy believing and wrongly that he could transform RPS in the form and design it was in to address the huge service gap that existed prior to the buyout . Now what do you have today? Yes you have contractors with multiple route but that was created by FDX in an effort to make them look like true "independent contractors" in an attempt to protect themselves from more law suits. Nevertheless they never have been and never will be true independent contractors thanks to that 1 year unilaterally drafted and implemented contract. Their task hasn't changed That is to find people in a shrinking labor market to go out there and match the production of the average UPS driver and do it for half the wage and zero benefits along with serving as a firewall against the incursion of a union represented workforce..... Don't believe me? Then you tell me....aside from the two tasks I mentioned just exactly what are contractors doing that Fat Freddy can't do himself. So who's the clueless one now?
RPS was only a portion of what would become Ground, so your argument is hollow.

“With an eye on the future, Federal Express built on its express delivery service to create a more diversified corporation of different but related businesses. Originally called FDX Corp., FedEx Corp. was formed in January 1998 when it acquired Caliber System Inc.
Through this and future purchases, the initial Caliber subsidiaries included:
  • RPS, a small-package ground service
  • Roberts Express, an expedited, exclusive-use shipping provider
  • Viking Freight, a regional LTL freight carrier serving the Western U.S.
  • Caribbean Transportation Services, a provider of airfreight forwarding between the U.S., Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Caribbean islands
  • Caliber Logistics and Caliber Technology, providers of integrated logistics and technology solutions.”FedEx history | FedEx

oldrps

Your numbers simply reaffirm what I was talking about . 2 million a day was about the best it could do prior to the buyout. Now post buyout in the 13 million a day range. That came about as a result of Fat Freddy believing and wrongly that he could transform RPS in the form and design it was in to address the huge service gap that existed prior to the buyout . Now what do you have today? Yes you have contractors with multiple route but that was created by FDX in an effort to make them look like true "independent contractors" in an attempt to protect themselves from more law suits. Nevertheless they never have been and never will be true independent contractors thanks to that 1 year unilaterally drafted and implemented contract. Their task hasn't changed That is to find people in a shrinking labor market to go out there and match the production of the average UPS driver and do it for half the wage and zero benefits along with serving as a firewall against the incursion of a union represented workforce..... Don't believe me? Then you tell me....aside from the two tasks I mentioned just exactly what are contractors doing that Fat Freddy can't do himself. So who's the clueless one now?
"2 million a day was the best it could do prior to the buyout." How much should have been doing when prior to the buyout; 5, 10, 15 million. You do realize that it has taken over 20 years since the buyout to grow to the 13 million, it did not happen overnight. What was the huge service gap that existed before the buyout? Customers do not care if they are not "true independent contractors", as long as the packages are picked up and delivered on time.

"I mentioned just exactly what are contractors doing that Fat Freddy can't do himself." They do it cheaper, duh. Business 101, keep income higher than expenses, you will be profitable. Would you pay $30/hr when you can get it done for $15?

If you are so knowledgeable, why didn't you start up your own delivery company and compete with UPS and FedEx. You seem to have it all figured out. Again, you are so clueless, you really need to go back to complaining how you were screwed over by RPS/Ground.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
I thought LMO was suspended for peak. But it would explain why peak has been easier this year than last.
Ground is a nightmare here; I am actively telling people not to ship with them.
So Dano, are you OK with the company's trash reputation right now? Does service mean anything to ya? What is happening at Ground will effect Express; no one wants to ship FedEx at all around here!

Sounds like a Yogi Berra quote. "We're so overwhelmed with volume that no one uses us!"

59 Dano

Dano doesn’t care about service or doing the right thing for the customers. He’s just like everyone else in Memphis. It’s a just numbers, numbers and more meaningless numbers. Just so it looks good on paper. And FU too Fred!
We just had a quarterly earnings report that far exceeded predictions. The customers must hate us!

59 Dano

What do you define as "limited scale". RPS was doing around 2 million packages a day before FedEx bought them. They do deliver around 13 million packages a day, that is not limited scale. It has changed a lot since it started, how many single van owner operators are there now? Do people still fill out pickup books? Are they in the same buildings as when they started? Did they go after residential packages, deliver 7 days a week when it started. You are clueless.
I see you've met bacha.

bacha29

"2 million a day was the best it could do prior to the buyout." How much should have been doing when prior to the buyout; 5, 10, 15 million. You do realize that it has taken over 20 years since the buyout to grow to the 13 million, it did not happen overnight. What was the huge service gap that existed before the buyout? Customers do not care if they are not "true independent contractors", as long as the packages are picked up and delivered on time.

"I mentioned just exactly what are contractors doing that Fat Freddy can't do himself." They do it cheaper, duh. Business 101, keep income higher than expenses, you will be profitable. Would you pay $30/hr when you can get it done for $15?

If you are so knowledgeable, why didn't you start up your own delivery company and compete with UPS and FedEx. You seem to have it all figured out. Again, you are so clueless, you really need to go back to complaining how you were screwed over by RPS/Ground.
Something your forgetting here. RPS was designed for and operated exclusively as a business to business operation. None of this rezzy stuff. If you really were "oldRPS you would have known that. The service gap I spoke of is the lack of a ground service at fedex which prompted Fat Freddy to go buy RPS in an effort to plug the services offered gap. if you're a contractor today and you expect somebody to drive your loaded from floor to ceiling truck for $15 an hour it would be sitting there for you to drive it yourself. $15 an hour might have got the job done back in your time as OLD RPS but even $30 today would be in doubt . And the few who do pay that often take the cost of employer paid benefits and front load the cash just to get somebody to do the job. Your mindset is today a reason for all the horror stories of backed up terminals and a on time service percentage that is falling behind UPS.. The direct result of running it like a county fair carnival rather than the far more professional UPS. If life at RPS was so great for you and offered such a bright future for you in FXG management how come you left after a few years?

oldrps

Something your forgetting here. RPS was designed for and operated exclusively as a business to business operation. None of this rezzy stuff. If you really were "oldRPS you would have known that. The service gap I spoke of is the lack of a ground service at fedex which prompted Fat Freddy to go buy RPS in an effort to plug the services offered gap. if you're a contractor today and you expect somebody to drive your loaded from floor to ceiling truck for $15 an hour it would be sitting there for you to drive it yourself. $15 an hour might have got the job done back in your time as OLD RPS but even $30 today would be in doubt . And the few who do pay that often take the cost of employer paid benefits and front load the cash just to get somebody to do the job. Your mindset is today a reason for all the horror stories of backed up terminals and a on time service percentage that is falling behind UPS.. The direct result of running it like a county fair carnival rather than the far more professional UPS. If life at RPS was so great for you and offered such a bright future for you in FXG management how come you left after a few years?
The $15/$30 was an analogy. I couldn't care less what the driver makes as I no longer work for Ground and haven't for many years.

"The Ground model is now nearly 40 years old and designed as a limited scale, limited market under the radar operation . It has changed little from it's basic design except for the fact that it's now being tasked with serving multiple high public exposure markets."
This is your quote at the start of the conversation. You clearly said "it has changed little from it's basic design". Now you are saying it has changed. In addition to being clueless, you have a memory problem. Go back to whining about how RPS/FedEx screwed you over for over 20 years.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
We just had a quarterly earnings report that far exceeded predictions. The customers must hate us!
And where does it say in those quarterly earnings report that customers are happy or not with the service they’re getting or not getting?

59 Dano

And where does it say in those quarterly earnings report that customers are happy or not with the service they’re getting or not getting?
There's this crazy concept that people won't give their money to a company that doesn't provide them with satisfactory service.

bacha29

The $15/$30 was an analogy. I couldn't care less what the driver makes as I no longer work for Ground and haven't for many years.

"The Ground model is now nearly 40 years old and designed as a limited scale, limited market under the radar operation . It has changed little from it's basic design except for the fact that it's now being tasked with serving multiple high public exposure markets."
This is your quote at the start of the conversation. You clearly said "it has changed little from it's basic design". Now you are saying it has changed. In addition to being clueless, you have a memory problem. Go back to whining about how RPS/FedEx screwed you over for over 20 years.
Still using the contractor model. That is what hasn't changed Today what are you seeing? Box dumping out in the woods and are not isolated events. Hubs and terminals backed up for days if not weeks. Post after post after post of desperate contractor want ads begging for help, Offering pay that has gone up little from what they offered in past years. If you're a contractor you get what you pay for. If you want somebody to come in everyday, take governance over a route and go out there in all kinds of weather on a continuous daily basis and put up the same numbers as what that UPS driver puts up , this is the kind of person that as a contractor you simply cannot survive without. And to procure that type of person you're going to have to be willing to pay the going rate. A rate that is set by what others in the game pay .And they're not going to be treated in the way you think they should be treated..... Like second class citizens working for slave wages.... And here's why. The US birth rate over the past decade was the lowest since 1930 and 2021 was the lowest in the history of the nation. You continue to think that the supply of cheap and abundant labor waiting there to be exploited would never go away.....Well, it is pal.. and faster than you think. But don't worry sooner or later Fat Freddy will have no choice but to give the people over at Ground who are dragging around the motor freight that he stole off the LTL's, standing, stature and pay. He will no longer be able to go on devaluing the tasks they perform in order to please Wall Street and his own bank account..... And as Kellogg and Starbucks have come to discover....he might just ahve to deal with a labor union.
RPS was only a portion of what would become Ground, so your argument is hollow.

“With an eye on the future, Federal Express built on its express delivery service to create a more diversified corporation of different but related businesses. Originally called FDX Corp., FedEx Corp. was formed in January 1998 when it acquired Caliber System Inc.
Through this and future purchases, the initial Caliber subsidiaries included:
  • RPS, a small-package ground service
  • Roberts Express, an expedited, exclusive-use shipping provider
  • Viking Freight, a regional LTL freight carrier serving the Western U.S.
  • Caribbean Transportation Services, a provider of airfreight forwarding between the U.S., Puerto Rico, the Dominican Republic, and Caribbean islands
  • Caliber Logistics and Caliber Technology, providers of integrated logistics and technology solutions.”FedEx history | FedEx
That is correct and the article goes on to disclose what they became. And to think that he got all this for just 2 billion in new shares.

yadig

Still using the contractor model. That is what hasn't changed Today what are you seeing? Box dumping out in the woods and are not isolated events. Hubs and terminals backed up for days if not weeks. Post after post after post of desperate contractor want ads begging for help, Offering pay that has gone up little from what they offered in past years. If you're a contractor you get what you pay for. If you want somebody to come in everyday, take governance over a route and go out there in all kinds of weather on a continuous daily basis and put up the same numbers as what that UPS driver puts up , this is the kind of person that as a contractor you simply cannot survive without. And to procure that type of person you're going to have to be willing to pay the going rate. A rate that is set by what others in the game pay .And they're not going to be treated in the way you think they should be treated..... Like second class citizens working for slave wages.... And here's why. The US birth rate over the past decade was the lowest since 1930 and 2021 was the lowest in the history of the nation. You continue to think that the supply of cheap and abundant labor waiting there to be exploited would never go away.....Well, it is pal.. and faster than you think. But don't worry sooner or later Fat Freddy will have no choice but to give the people over at Ground who are dragging around the motor freight that he stole off the LTL's, standing, stature and pay. He will no longer be able to go on devaluing the tasks they perform in order to please Wall Street and his own bank account..... And as Kellogg and Starbucks have come to discover....he might just ahve to deal with a labor union.

That is correct and the article goes on to disclose what they became. And to think that he got all this for just 2 billion in new

That is correct and the article goes on to disclose what they became. And to think that he got all this for just 2 billion in new shares.
Biden is solving the birth rate problem you continuously talk about. Just look south! I know you won’t hear bout this in CNN! Plenty of box pickers are on the way! I’m sure he’s vaccinating all of them!