How bad will the next master contract be?

rickyb

I was hired in late 2013 on the last contract before this current one. I got really screwed and at the time I was a dumb 18 year old kid who thought working for a union was everything. Turns out after months of studying and finding out the real truth, teamsters and ups both suck. I had to wait over a year to get my benefits and still have not gotten a raise. I just had gotten my benefits in December and they are okay I suppose for a part timer. But talking to people with seniority with 20 plus years they said that with each contract it gets worse and worse. I mean hell I'm making 11 an hour for 3 and a half hours a day. I mean come on what is that extra half hour to make it four hours a day. I just want to quit because it's not at all worth it, my back hurts so bad and I'm working for peanuts. I have no choice but to stay though because being a driver is a good gig but what else am I going to do. Go to college and rack up debt? And also be brainwashed by a liberal college professor? Any thoughts?

go to school!!! especially if your average brains or smart. its not even a choice. if nothing changes, things will only get worse for the american economy so its important u do something good now.

i have a debilitating hand disorder, but if i didnt, i would go to school for rock / haul truck driver, heavy equipment operator, they were both 2 months in school and 10 grand but when you grad u earn 30/hr and they were 2 week on 2 weeks off jobs fly in/out. id rather do that than get in and out of a UPS car 100x a day doing long hours with only weekends off. if u have mechanical aptitude you could learn a trade. u could also take that trade and go to the oil fields in canada and earn 2x as much as u normally would. they take guys who are not canadian.

i came from the railways before i started at ups, and the workers at ups were definitely on a lower level than the railway workers. i dont necessarily recommend railway, but im just saying ups is not worth sticking around.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
go to school!!! especially if your average brains or smart. its not even a choice. if nothing changes, things will only get worse for the american economy so its important u do something good now.

i have a debilitating hand disorder, but if i didnt, i would go to school for rock / haul truck driver, heavy equipment operator, they were both 2 months in school and 10 grand but when you grad u earn 30/hr and they were 2 week on 2 weeks off jobs fly in/out. id rather do that than get in and out of a UPS car 100x a day doing long hours with only weekends off. if u have mechanical aptitude you could learn a trade. u could also take that trade and go to the oil fields in canada and earn 2x as much as u normally would. they take guys who are not canadian.

i came from the railways before i started at ups, and the workers at ups were definitely on a lower level than the railway workers. i dont necessarily recommend railway, but im just saying ups is not worth sticking around.
Then leave.

I was hired in late 2013 on the last contract before this current one. I got really screwed and at the time I was a dumb 18 year old kid who thought working for a union was everything. Turns out after months of studying and finding out the real truth, teamsters and ups both suck. I had to wait over a year to get my benefits and still have not gotten a raise. I just had gotten my benefits in December and they are okay I suppose for a part timer. But talking to people with seniority with 20 plus years they said that with each contract it gets worse and worse. I mean hell I'm making 11 an hour for 3 and a half hours a day. I mean come on what is that extra half hour to make it four hours a day. I just want to quit because it's not at all worth it, my back hurts so bad and I'm working for peanuts. I have no choice but to stay though because being a driver is a good gig but what else am I going to do. Go to college and rack up debt? And also be brainwashed by a liberal college professor? Any thoughts?
Please quit. Your service is no longer needed.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
nnsns.gif

Dude, you've been here 14 months and you're complaining already.
Quit so UPS can give someone else the opportunity to succeed.
If your back hurts now, you're not gonna sniff a driving job.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
Coming from Local 688 you know why! You know better!
If he's in local 688 yes. If not then I can understand why you need to work more than once a month to get benefits.

Ps we are really getting screwed in 688 if we don't win these grievances to only need 1 punch a month.

badupser

Seriously? The way you paint the picture has got to be the most pessimistic view to offer. Sorry, but that the "well I guess I'm stuck here" type of attitude management wants you to have. I've been a part timer for 9 years and the company has never gotten better. Yes, I do admit the insurance, pension and ample time off is a perk, but here in my hub I have another 5-10 years before I'm sitting on that 85k a year top driver rate. Take it from me YOUR WORTH MORE THAN THAT. to throw away 15 years before you start making any serious money. Do you want to live the next 14 years feeling like you do now? UPS gives out $25,000 for college now and I'm taking it. 2 years community at 6,000 a year and 2 years public university at 18,000 a year. Do the math that's only 23,000 I will have to finance not including scholarships or money I'll put in while working. It's really not that bad. It's like buying a new car, and people buy about 6 of those in their lifetime. Or stay, hate the next 20 years, whatever, the way I see it if you have no money now, like you say, then what does it matter if you have dept too, you didn't have money to begin with anyway.

rickyb

move out of america. check out sovereign man and international man. if you have the right bloodline, you just pay for some legal fees and you can move to europe where student debt is minimal and you get lots of vacation time each year.

F

FrigidAdCorrector

had to wait over a year to get my benefits and still have not gotten a raise. I just had gotten my benefits in December and they are okay I suppose for a part timer.
Okay for a part timer? Wut. Go work part time at Walmart and see how good your benefits package is. You get a great insurance package that you contribute 0 to. My parents are Vice Presidents at two major companies and when I got my insurance we compared the plans, I had better insurance than they did! And there is no way you haven't gotten a raise after a year.

Guy gets great benefits and decent pay as a PTer and still isn't enough. My generation...

superballs63

Well-Known Troll
Troll
move out of america. check out sovereign man and international man. if you have the right bloodline, you just pay for some legal fees and you can move to europe where student debt is minimal and you get lots of vacation time each year.

And everything is perfect, and the streets are paved in gold! :o