How do you deal with houses with no address numbers on them?

wayfair

swollen member
NSN and on the service cross write, "Duplex does not have unit numbers."
Of course that would depend on the location. Near the college, I would do that every single day of the week, in a small town, I would probably leave it, knowing that the correct person would eventually get it.

A while back we had a clerk AC stuff to a wrong address in a very small town. After about 2 weeks, the guy called in a concern about getting all this stuff. He said that he did not have time to call everyone and wait for them to come over and pick it up as he had been doing. (all the stuff ACd to him was sure post stuff that had a PO address, but the PO was closed, so we delivered all the stuff in that town.)

I made it a point the next day to stop at his house and thank him for doing what we should have been.

He said, "Bah, it's just what people do when you know everyone in town." and he laughed.

Address corrections require a signature around here

Z

ZQXC

If there is a clearly visible number on the mailbox or the house that matches the number on the pkg. then they get their stuff.

Otherwise, you need to visit the hardware store, or quit ordering stuff.

AKCoverMan

Address corrections require a signature around here
If I get to a duplex and no unit number on package I sheet it Need Apt. Then if I can determine the right unit by looking at names on/inside mailbox I will sheet it again to correct address and do address correction in DIAD. I put "Per mailbox" in remarks and deliver.

I don't want to deal with the same package again next day if I can help it, plenty more are already on the way to fill the car up tomorrow.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

If I get to a duplex and no unit number on package I sheet it Need Apt. Then if I can determine the right unit by looking at names on/inside mailbox I will sheet it again to correct address and do address correction in DIAD. I put "Per mailbox" in remarks and deliver.

I don't want to deal with the same package again next day if I can help it, plenty more are already on the way to fill the car up tomorrow.

One stop or two?

AKCoverMan

One stop or two?

One for wrong address one for correct address. It's not padding stops if that's what your saying. If I just do the minimum and NSN it and return it to the clerk then it's on car tomorrow it's gonna end up being two stops anyway.

If I can get a bad address package delivered on first day without significant additional time added to my day it's a win all the way around.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

You are clearly padding stops.

If you are checking mailboxes, which I also do, while you are making the first attempt, and find the unit number, why wouldn't you sheet it with the unit number and then do the ADC? One stop.

You are doing the wrong thing while clearly doing the right thing.

AKCoverMan

You are clearly padding stops.

If you are checking mailboxes, which I also do, while you are making the first attempt, and find the unit number, why wouldn't you sheet it with the unit number and then do the ADC? One stop.

You are doing the wrong thing while clearly doing the right thing.

We will agree to disagree here. I'm taking a few more seconds at this stop. So if I get I can figure it out I most certainly take that 2nd stop. Not dishonest at all.

IMHO "padding" would be delivering three packages to one stop and sheeting each individually. Not this.

How many seconds of allowance do you think an address correction in the DIAD gives you? My guess is zero.

But 1 stop or 2 stops and time allowances are not issues we need to debate, not all that important. I'm glad we agree on taking reasonable effort to get the customer the package the first day it goes on road.

AKCoverMan

Conversation I would like to have with customer at unmarked house:

Me: "Hello, is your house number 1234?"
Customer: "Yes, it is."
Me: "And if you weren't home, how would I know?" :cold:

Last edited:

AKCoverMan

Conversation I have had with customers...more than a few times!

Customer (looking puzzled) "hmm, no, I don't think so, wait a minute. Hey Martha! What's our house number again?"

By The Book

Conversation I would like to have with customer at unmarked house:

Customer: "Yes, it is."
Me: "And if you weren't home, how would I know?" :cold:
I would just add the apt./suite number in the Diad once I found out what it was. If I went to the correct address at the location and it matched the pkg. address there is no need for an address correction, only a need apt./suite number selection on the Diad and return to clerk in pm routine., if not located by you while delivering the pkg.

AKCoverMan

I would just add the apt./suite number in the Diad once I found out what it was. If I went to the correct address at the location and it matched the pkg. address there is no need for an address correction, only a need apt./suite number selection on the Diad and return to clerk in pm routine., if not located by you while delivering the pkg.

If an apt or suite number is needed to identify the correct delivery point and it's not on the shipping label then ADC should happen, either in the DIAD when we do the detective work and find the info ourselves or by the clerk if we bring it back to the building.

This is additional service that we charge for and performing ADC is what triggers that charge to the shipper. We also notify the shipper so they may update their records for future shipments. If you just add the apt number but don't do ADC none of this happens.

By The Book

If the original label did not have the apt/suite and I found it by checking mailboxes or asking a neighbor I most certainly would do the ADC.
I guess I'm saying the address is correct, just missing the apt./suite number. Not having the apt./suite number is not a reason to do an address correction.