How do you deal with houses with no address numbers on them?

YellowSox

Google maps just to be sure. If the address does exist it will show a box as a house and a red dot square in the middle of it, unless it's a rural are with a long a s s driveway.

Sent using BrownCafe App

llamainmypocket

A better question may be, what do you do when you deliver to a duplex with no posted unit numbers. I've seen that to be the case in a couple out of a hundred.

Bottom rung

That has been my experience also.

I also see a wide mix of people that do not number their houses. Some, "just never thought of it" others "have lived there so long, everyone knows where they live" others just figure "if the county wants a number by the house, they will put one there."

I just shrug my shoulders and say, "I hope that an ambulance crew knows which house you are in if you ever have an emergency."
There are no victims, only volunteers.

barnyard

KTM rider
A better question may be, what do you do when you deliver to a duplex with no posted unit numbers. I've seen that to be the case in a couple out of a hundred.

NSN and on the service cross write, "Duplex does not have unit numbers."
Of course that would depend on the location. Near the college, I would do that every single day of the week, in a small town, I would probably leave it, knowing that the correct person would eventually get it.

A while back we had a clerk AC stuff to a wrong address in a very small town. After about 2 weeks, the guy called in a concern about getting all this stuff. He said that he did not have time to call everyone and wait for them to come over and pick it up as he had been doing. (all the stuff ACd to him was sure post stuff that had a PO address, but the PO was closed, so we delivered all the stuff in that town.)

I made it a point the next day to stop at his house and thank him for doing what we should have been.

He said, "Bah, it's just what people do when you know everyone in town." and he laughed.

undies

I love it when I call out a customer for not having their address visible anywhere and they point to the overgrown bushes covering the numbers. If only I brought my machete to work that day!

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Two weeks ago I misdelivered a package to a house with no numbers displayed. The next day I got a message about it and I had to go back and redeliver it. Package on porch. Guess it was actually for their neighbor, the OTHER house with no numbers and I guessed wrong but they were too lazy to walk it over themselves and had to waste my time. Friday was first time I had one for them though (the one I misdelivered to). You bet I NSD'ed it.

toonertoo

Most Awesome Dog
Staff member
I love it when I call out a customer for not having their address visible anywhere and they point to the overgrown bushes covering the numbers. If only I brought my machete to work that day!
Or its 1 inch squares on their mailbox, and not pointing towards the street. Thats why if its not marked, I just nsn it. Im not going to leave it at the wrong un numbered house.
The other one that gets me is when it is painted the same color as the porch......talk about lazy.

JL 0513

It's not so bad when one house in a series of homes is missing a number as you can simply deduce the address in between 2 marked homes. But each day, I run into locations with 3,4, or even 5 unmarked homes in a row. That right there raises my blood pressure.

AKCoverMan

Was at our State Fair this weekend. Emergency Services had a both teaching CPR and at the booth had a banner asking people to make sure their house was properly marked and that it was visible from the street. "Help us find you in an emergency!"

I stopped in and thanked them both for what they did as first responders but particularly for that banner! :)

Few years ago we had a State Trooper shot in his home which was in a rural area but still within the boundaries of the Municipality. His wife spent 45 mins on phone with 911 trying to guide responders to the scene and he died. Now homes are required to be marked and by and large are even if sometimes they are hard to see.

Outside the Municipality (which is where the Fair is held) there is no such requirement and it's often quite a guessing game. GPS on my iPad and detailed map books usually allow me to find the house.

Packmule

You're driving along watching the mailbox numbers, looking for the next stop. Suddenly, house after house has no numbers displayed whatsoever. Then the next number you see is way ahead of what you were looking for. Alternatively, you have a lane with a bunch of mailboxes at the front. But when you get to the end, you find a toilet of houses and trailers with not a single number.

What do you do about this? I usually try to knock on the door of the house I suspect and ask. Not always effective. But if I have one more follow-up because of numberless houses, I swear I will no-such-number their stuff every day until I see a number.
If you are not sure, that is exactly what you do.
Personally, I think it should be a federal law that no carrier can deliver to a home that is not in compliance with local 911 laws.
All we do is enable these morons to stay out of compliance. Then an emergency happens and someone dies....

S

selfcancelsignal

& anyone who uses faded brass numbers on a dark brown dwelling needs to be bitchslapped!

Sent while chasing down unnecessary Dish Network call tags.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
When I was young and dumb and started out driving on my first peak, I remember one day spending twenty minutes walking around with a package on my shoulder trying find the house. Wouldn't you know it ended up being the one with no number. If that were to happen now I would have been gone within the first ninety seconds.