How many here are ready to strike UPS? I think if this contract is that bad we should Strike UPS.

F

Frankie's Friend

Fair enough. All I'm saying is that I don't understand why a lot of people complained about losing the old plan, since what we have is still way, way ahead of everybody else.
We took a huge concession on the medical coverage, that's why.

And the way hall presented it (offering us the C6 plan knowing it was a ploy to make us accept the enhanced plan later) was deceptive.

DirtySouth

Louisville agreed to their Rider. Looks like Fred is good with this one.

You do understand that a local can recommend 'No' on the Master and 'Yes' on the Supplement/Rider, right?

This is entirely possible with locals that have an educated and active membership, as we've seen in both L89 (shot down the contract by 93% last time) and the entirety of JC10 (stopped 70 hour work weeks for package last peak).

UPS didn't anticipate this when it put in the poison pill pension bailouts in many of the supplements covered by critical pension funds.

The Real Jack RyanMI6

No I promise you this. There is nothing cynical about this. I had a change of heart. I want to vote no and see where it takes us. I think we need to send this message and let UPS we will take it to the street. You broke me. I want this thing to go down in flames. Who says 15,000,000,000 is enough. Why can't we get 15 an hour, no 22.4 language, triple time for 9.5. Hell, brother I am part of the process. Does this make you feel better. Lets hold out for more. If in the process we strike them then we can ax hoffa in the long term as well and a younger leader can emerge. Vote no
Dude calm the ... down if we must strike economics is the last thing we any of us should talk about
Reason 1 Public safety should be first and foremost. There are no studies none that support 70 hrs for package car. Download the material for the DOT i have and read it all. Just to give you a heads up it only addresses what we have as feeder. The rules were not and are not appropriate for our job.
Which means Mr And Ms Pubic UPS doesnt mind putting you or there employees in actual harm as long as they can blame the driver and make another billion. So shut up about the money you only sound arrogant, stupid, and as if reading is way off the chart difficult for you

Feederquacker

iOS Image - 1588624148.jpg

Days

The cost of living is super high out west so I doubt a 2% raise is even a raise. Does anyone know what inflation has been out west.

Cost of living is very high. They give starting pay of 15.00 an hour and then freeze wages. Essentially you're at 15 for like 4-5 years and then you get a 50 cent raise rofl

Days

Thought this was relevant. Amazon is planning to do the same thing. These big corporations vote democratic and then at the same time pay crap wages with no benefits.

That's just the name of the game is how well you can fool the little people to work for less. This contract is the same thing. The company is trying its damn hardest to cut wages and increase revenue.

Uber is disgusting. " we work hard to make you rich, and you make us homeless"'. Amazon recently in my area starting promising false things like 16-35$ an hour starting but fails to mention the lack of benefits and the expenses. you just put an amazon sticker on your car and have a flexible schedule. It's just a shame that companies would use mobile devices and accessibility to screw over the employees and make max profits.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

Thought this was relevant. Amazon is planning to do the same thing. These big corporations vote democratic and then at the same time pay crap wages with no benefits.

That's just the name of the game is how well you can fool the little people to work for less. This contract is the same thing. The company is trying its damn hardest to cut wages and increase revenue.

Uber is disgusting. " we work hard to make you rich, and you make us homeless"'. Amazon recently in my area starting promising false things like 16-35$ an hour starting but fails to mention the lack of benefits and the expenses. you just put an amazon sticker on your car and have a flexible schedule. It's just a shame that companies would use mobile devices and accessibility to screw over the employees and make max profits.

Those places are easy to deal with. Vote for better pay and conditions by letting someone else go broke working for them while you work anywhere else. If other people are stupid enough to think a good work ethic means working themselves into homelessness, let them. When the companies run out of idiots to make money off of, then they'll be forced to pay better or close up shop.

If you want to think of it in market terms, a company must pay the minimum that the market will bear. People's lack of basic personal finance understanding skews the market too low, but only until those people are hit with the reality that they can not afford to work for the low wages they were willing to work for. The market then corrects itself as the idiots drop out of the market and the company is forced to attract smarter employees who command higher wages.

Unions are supposed to help stabilize the labor market to prevent the idiots from skewing the price of labor too low, because the idiots may cause the smarter workers to go without work for too long. Free markets are great in theory, they do self-correct, but the timelines for the corrections may not be realistic for the level of the individual, and when too much capital is controlled by too few people, market manipulation becomes inevitable. That is why people must be free to bargain collectively.

Days

You're right. I think the accessibility of uber and Amazon and it's fresh appeal lets the companies get away with poor wages. I watched a video on YouTube of this lady delivering for Amazon Flex and she made 72 dollars in 4 hours that doesn't cover gas or car depreciation. People also seem to genuinely trust these brands for whatever reason. It just hasn't reached mainstream audience imho that these companies are running a scam.

The reason we should also be skeptical about this contract. It opens your eyes to how this world truly works. Max profits at any cost

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You're right. I think the accessibility of uber and Amazon and it's fresh appeal lets the companies get away with poor wages. I watched a video on YouTube of this lady delivering for Amazon Flex and she made 72 dollars in 4 hours that doesn't cover gas or car depreciation. People also seem to genuinely trust these brands for whatever reason. It just hasn't reached mainstream audience imho that these companies are running a scam.

The reason we should also be skeptical about this contract. It opens your eyes to how this world truly works. Max profits at any cost

The issue with this thinking is that it is not sophisticated or nuanced enough. Truly capable management is able to see the big picture, how decisions effect employees, customers, the company, shareholders and the community.

Most management stops at how decisions effect shareholders, and they are unable to foresee the consequences of their myopic decisions. The only ones who survive the calamity caused by their own incompetence are the ones who are good at pointing the finger at everyone else. How about just hire competent managers and avoid diasaster from the outset? This is why I am done with management in corporate america.

wide load

Starting wage is a waste of time.
I want it to go down. I want each and every member to get what they want. If it hurts the company in the long run I don't care anymore. I want the cards to fall where they may. If we lose volume we will just have to find it somewhere else. If we lose those 3,000 sleeper jobs, who cares. Its not like every local will get them. They will probably only go to the big barns. friend that.
I know your trying to be passive aggressive but Do you really think that voting no on this first deal will ever lead to a strike? Are you a pay full sticker for a car guy? You guys are afraid you will break the golden goose.

F

Frankie's Friend

I don't totally understand what you mean. I never said Dance hall was going to let the cat out of the bag on Sean. There will be a bunch of other who will do this work. Sean is probably ready for it though.
Yeah dude, you did. You typed so many negative innuendos about SO here that you can't remember what you said.

If the leadership had to take strike pay instead of their (multiple) salaries we'd never have to vote No now wouldn't we?