How to do you get around

It will be fine

The screen locks while in motion. You have to stop to check the route you are following.
You can buy a mount that will allow the screen to stay on while in motion, if I remember correctly. I guess they thinks it's ok as long as you're not holding the scanner. I think it'll charge it too since constant gps will kill these batteries.
Have you tried the sequenced manifest yet? It's pretty bad, tried it one day, it told me to do resi's in between 2 stops in a strip mall where I wouldn't even move the truck.

STFXG

You can buy a mount that will allow the screen to stay on while in motion, if I remember correctly. I guess they thinks it's ok as long as you're not holding the scanner. I think it'll charge it too since constant gps will kill these batteries.
Have you tried the sequenced manifest yet? It's pretty bad, tried it one day, it told me to do resi's in between 2 stops in a strip mall where I wouldn't even move the truck.
I haven't tried the manifests for ground. They don't work in my area for the HD stuff I run. I run rural stuff. Most of it pops up as 999 in the system so it won't plot.

CJinx

I haven't tried the manifests for ground. They don't work in my area for the HD stuff I run. I run rural stuff. Most of it pops up as 999 in the system so it won't plot.
Your station's Vision/VRP people need to do their jobs. :annoyed2:

Purplepackage

My station has been graced with this system yet, were still running on the old system but oh I can't wait until we get it and a computer can try and tell me how to do it better

STFXG

Thereby creating larger gap times between stops. GPS is a crutch to lean on in times of real need. not a solution to training and area knowledge.
GPS is a great tool to assist in training. Relying on it is a crutch, I agree.

Everyone on here seems to think they know how to train a new driver on an area. Running the route is the only real way for a driver to learn an area. Riding along with them for a few days only gets them up to speed on the scanner. After that they just need to be in the truck figuring it out. A GPS is a good resource to help a new driver.
Your station's Vision/VRP people need to do their jobs. :annoyed2:

Many people at my station need to do their jobs. But why waste time doing something to assist the contractor? As long as the preload gets done in time nothing else really matters to management.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member

Violation of company policy.

CJinx

Many people at my station need to do their jobs. But why waste time doing something to assist the contractor? As long as the preload gets done in time nothing else really matters to management.
It doesn't just assist the contractor. Plan accuracy is a metric that the station gets measured on. It saves preload time, rehandling, and van scan accuracy by routing the packages to the right trucks the first time around. That four metrics that can be easily passed by doing one task in addition to increasing the quality of manifests.

STFXG

It doesn't just assist the contractor. Plan accuracy is a metric that the station gets measured on. It saves preload time, rehandling, and van scan accuracy by routing the packages to the right trucks the first time around. That four metrics that can be easily passed by doing one task in addition to increasing the quality of manifests.
Not when they are input by zip code. Then the address doesn't matter. They get routed to the correct truck. So why would they do any more than the minimum? I've never seen managers do more than what was required of them.

CJinx

Not when they are input by zip code. Then the address doesn't matter. They get routed to the correct truck.
I don't suppose you service any cities that are large enough/have enough freight that you send more than one truck to them? Proper vision carving can ensure that 123 Main St and 456 Commercial St get routed to different trucks (or different parts of the same truck). The package handlers get the freight on the correct trucks and your crew doesn't have to trade misloaded freight (999s = people will guess where it goes). This stuff can be plotted; it just has to be done manually by the person or people responsible for maintaining Vision/VRP.
So why would they do any more than the minimum? I've never seen managers do more than what was required of them.
Well, it isn't (usually) a manager's job; it falls to the coordinators and admins. If the station fails to meet it's goals, the SM gets tarred and feathered by the DM on a conference call... Then that rolls downhill to the station management, who in turn hold their staff accountable.

That's how it's supposed to work, anyway.

MassWineGuy

I just began delivering on Saturdays after months on my pickup route. I found it very tough. Due to Memphis delays we got a very late start with no commitment times. It took hours to get all my P1s out.

Despite my difficulty with navigation, I'm going to rely more on a map than GPS. That way, I'll have a better idea of the town's overall geography and how it connects.

whenIgetthere

I just began delivering on Saturdays after months on my pickup route. I found it very tough. Due to Memphis delays we got a very late start with no commitment times. It took hours to get all my P1s out.

Despite my difficulty with navigation, I'm going to rely more on a map than GPS. That way, I'll have a better idea of the town's overall geography and how it connects.

Wise move, helps you see the dig picture. I was talking to a swing here yesterday and he was saying he takes his break and enters his stops into his phone which gives him them in order (we don't have DRA), he then sets the truck up during his break. I told he was nuts for giving Fred the free labor. He complained he's doing too many routes blind, I asked him if he got paid by the hour!