How to do you get around

Goldilocks

I imagine I have experienced most if not all scenarios regarding how to get the packages from the vehicle to the proper door.
One of my favorites went like this:
"Sorry for no warning, but I need you to cover this area. Here is a map."

Wow, they give you a map! Running the same route is easy but for example if you are covering another area, zip code, what do they expex
Canada.

We have stickers in the cab stating discipline up to and including termination can be taken for using electronic devices in the cab.

Yep you are right!!!! Here in the US the same. Its in our cabs too.....

Artee

Artee, you do not understand what I am saying. Routes are not the same everyday. Sometimes it means going out of YOUR regular area. Then what? Not being able to use the companies WiFi to look up stops. Not being provided with a Mapsco or Map. Glad you know every street in your city, but who does? Are you using DRA which maps are provided? What about being thrown on an SRA route that you have never been in that area. How are you suppose to get around? The company needs to provide maps or allow and pay for our GPS systems. Simple as that.

Maybe things have changed. I have not been a courier for 15 years. The 7 years I was a courier I was a float for half that time, including the last year I was a courier. I did different routes every week, if not every day including a major university campus where you to learn the different professors names to know where they were or if they were even on your route or the other route that split the campus with you. If a person is an old school courier I just don't know how this stuff is all that difficult.

If you have never been on a route or an area you go out and you either do ok or it sucks. But you learn from your mistakes and next time you do it you already know in your mind what changes you are going to make and how you are going to run it differently to make it more efficient. Some people cannot self learn and make decisions on their own and maybe should not be in this job. I was an old school courier. There was no DRA or SRA. You either walked up to a Grumman that was full of just freight thrown everywhere inside or a baseline route with a pile or freight left on the floor of the station. I had a map book of the region, made a few copies of the general area, plotted some stops, and went and emptied the truck. It was all very simple. I had no computer to tell me how to run the route or a powerpad that listed the stops in order. I made the decision on the most efficient manner to run the route.

Don't you have a map book or maps for the area you work in? If you are in a different area everyday then you need to ask them for the materials you need to do your job. You have taken the onus of providing the items needed to do your job and placed that on yourself. You need to redirect it and place it on them. You are letting them walk all over you and get away with it. Either you are using DRA and having the stops and maps handed to you or you are running it old school and you have to figure it out. Either way i do not see what the problem is. Is there a 3rd alternative I am not aware of?

CJinx

A company worth 48 billion can't afford to provide the most basic tools to the employees?

Odd.
Well, I was only trying to answer goldilock's (presumably rhetorical) question. Your question can be answered by, "that's big business for you,". Bean counters and cost cutting initiatives will do that. Its not that they don't have the money for it, its that they aren't willing to spend it.

Artee

You are misplacing the responsibility and are taking it upon yourself. You are getting :censored2: on and apparently like it because you are letting them get away with it over and over again. Tell every manager and the senior what you need. if they don't provide it for you go out and tank the new route you are on. When they want to talk to you and have you sign something you need to throw it back in their face that you asked each and every one of them including the big boss. Be prepared to take it to higher ups. You need to fight for yourself. Or just buy your own map book and mile the clock a few minutes every day to get paid back.

dezguy

That's right...But what if there are no maps or mapsco provided? Are saying we should go out and buy our own?
Sure but save the receipt to give to your manager at the end of the day. I buy a new map book every two years. I have not yet once been told they wouldn't reimburse me.

moreluck

golden ticket member
That's right...But what if there are no maps or mapsco provided? Are saying we should go out and buy our own?
Not an employee, so I don't care if you buy a map or strike for one or whatever............the remark was for someone who thinks Canada comes into play on a drive from SLC to Idaho Falls........definitely needs a compass!!!

hypo hanna

Well, I was only trying to answer goldilock's (presumably rhetorical) question. Your question can be answered by, "that's big business for you,". Bean counters and cost cutting initiatives will do that. Its not that they don't have the money for it, its that they aren't willing to spend it.
Call it what you like but whatever the name, its unethical to push employees in this situation to provide their own tools. Would you be ok if fedex pushed you to provide your own Computer?

BrownMeetPurple

Sure but save the receipt to give to your manager at the end of the day. I buy a new map book every two years. I have not yet once been told they wouldn't reimburse me.

At our station, they provide a new map book if requested, I have gotten 3 in the last 5 years. Same goes for gloves, paper towels, clips..etc All stations should do that.

It will be fine

Call it what you like but whatever the name, its unethical to push employees in this situation to provide their own tools. Would you be ok if fedex pushed you to provide your own Computer?
Do you provide your own shoes? How about eyeglasses? A driver with area knowledge doesn't need a map. I can run all my routes without a map or gps. It's just a bit slower. The question is if the tool improves productivity enough to justify the cost. I would say maps do that, all my drivers have nice laminated maps of their area. GPS actually slows drivers down. My road test for new hires has them plot addresses on a map and then drive them in an efficient manner. I've turned away guys that can't do it.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Still, that's no excuse.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Do you provide your own shoes? How about eyeglasses? A driver with area knowledge doesn't need a map. I can run all my routes without a map or gps. It's just a bit slower. The question is if the tool improves productivity enough to justify the cost. I would say maps do that, all my drivers have nice laminated maps of their area. GPS actually slows drivers down. My road test for new hires has them plot addresses on a map and then drive them in an efficient manner. I've turned away guys that can't do it.

They used to do that at Express, once upon a time. It was called the Basic Skills Test. Then, supposedly, FedEx got sued for discrimination, and it's been downhill ever since.

Artee

. My road test for new hires has them plot addresses on a map and then drive them in an efficient manner. I've turned away guys that can't do it.

Express was sued for doing that. Something similar was on the courier basic skills test. If you could not pass that test you were not allowed to progress up to a courier. Express could also weed out the screw balls on the pre-employment interview. There are only 2 questions that are allowed to be asked now and 1 of them is do you have a type of reliable transportation to get to work. I just shake my head at some of the new hires that come through the door. Heck managers also have to acknowledge a report every month that shows the make up of their work group. How many males, females, whites, blacks, latinos, asians, etc...if you don't think FedEx is not following the political correctness protocol when it comes to hiring, you have another thing coming. Its not best person for the job, but which quota are we filling this month.

MAKAVELI

Express was sued for doing that. Something similar was on the courier basic skills test. If you could not pass that test you were not allowed to progress up to a courier. Express could also weed out the screw balls on the pre-employment interview. There are only 2 questions that are allowed to be asked now and 1 of them is do you have a type of reliable transportation to get to work. I just shake my head at some of the new hires that come through the door. Heck managers also have to acknowledge a report every month that shows the make up of their work group. How many males, females, whites, blacks, latinos, asians, etc...if you don't think FedEx is not following the political correctness protocol when it comes to hiring, you have another thing coming. Its not best person for the job, but which quota are we filling this month.
All this and the lawsuits, FedEx brought on themselves from decades of discrimination and the good ol boy network. They made their bed and now they have to lie in it.