How to do you get around

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
Heck managers also have to acknowledge a report every month that shows the make up of their work group. How many males, females, whites, blacks, latinos, asians, etc...if you don't think FedEx is not following the political correctness protocol when it comes to hiring, you have another thing coming. Its not best person for the job, but which quota are we filling this month.

Funny that you mention this. My manager was just telling me the other day, about emails he used to get from I believe HR about how his PM workgroup wasn't diverse enough. That there were too many whites and Blacks.... not diverse enough. His response was, I hire the people YOU send me. I have no choice in what race or ethnicity they are. SMH.

CJinx

Call it what you like but whatever the name, its unethical to push employees in this situation to provide their own tools. Would you be ok if fedex pushed you to provide your own Computer?
Actually, yeah. Now that computer is mine and I'm taking it with me when I leave, plus I'm writing it off as a business expense.

Same with my college books. I have a large library of books, technical manuals, schematics, etc. that, when new, cost more than you make in a year. Tuition didn't cover the cost of books and I can't complete school without them. I keep the receipts and write them off when I do my taxes.

Goldilocks

Do you provide your own shoes? How about eyeglasses? A driver with area knowledge doesn't need a map. I can run all my routes without a map or gps. It's just a bit slower. The question is if the tool improves productivity enough to justify the cost. I would say maps do that, all my drivers have nice laminated maps of their area. GPS actually slows drivers down. My road test for new hires has them plot addresses on a map and then drive them in an efficient manner. I've turned away guys that can't do it.

OH, let me guess, a new manager? New to me is anyone under 10 years....You gotta be kidding. They have always provided Mapsco for us until the company decided it was not in the budget. I can run most routes although slow if not familiar, but I see these guys coming on that don't have a clue on what to do, other than use their phones. I'm a 30 plus employee so you are not talking to a rookie. As a Woman with Express I have never been given "special privileges" I see what's now coming out of Fedex 1. And it's not good. There is a question on SFA that states, the company gives us the TOOLS we need. Really? But wait, that new person using his or her phone will get suspended because we are NOT allowed to use devices in the truck...

Goldilocks

Express was sued for doing that. Something similar was on the courier basic skills test. If you could not pass that test you were not allowed to progress up to a courier. Express could also weed out the screw balls on the pre-employment interview. There are only 2 questions that are allowed to be asked now and 1 of them is do you have a type of reliable transportation to get to work. I just shake my head at some of the new hires that come through the door. Heck managers also have to acknowledge a report every month that shows the make up of their work group. How many males, females, whites, blacks, latinos, asians, etc...if you don't think FedEx is not following the political correctness protocol when it comes to hiring, you have another thing coming. Its not best person for the job, but which quota are we filling this month.

Yea, I took the very first test that came out. 99.9 % failed. They then made it easier and you had 2 hours to complete it. This test cost the company too much money, another reason they got rid of it. Bottom Line, Express still needs to provide the necessary tool's to do the job. And if they cant, then take that question out of SFA and get off our backs about cell phones!!

Artee

Yea, I took the very first test that came out. 99.9 % failed. They then made it easier and you had 2 hours to complete it. This test cost the company too much money, another reason they got rid of it. Bottom Line, Express still needs to provide the necessary tool's to do the job. And if they cant, then take that question out of SFA and get off our backs about cell phones!!

LOL....I forgot about that test. The test you are referring to was like the courier test. A test they gave once you became a courier. They would pay you 2 hours to study for it and 2 hours to take it. Was it given like once a year or every other year? I was referencing the basic skills test which was a test to gauge if you could make the progression from handler to courier. It tested to see if you could follow directions and plot a couple addresses on a map and find the most efficient way to get between those 3 points. I know of people that flunked that test 4 times, so they were stuck in a handler position for another length of time before they could retake the test to see if they could move up.

dezguy

Do you provide your own shoes? How about eyeglasses? A driver with area knowledge doesn't need a map. I can run all my routes without a map or gps. It's just a bit slower. The question is if the tool improves productivity enough to justify the cost. I would say maps do that, all my drivers have nice laminated maps of their area. GPS actually slows drivers down. My road test for new hires has them plot addresses on a map and then drive them in an efficient manner. I've turned away guys that can't do it.
Actually, we get reimbursed for our work boots and glasses are covered under our benefits.

You're right, a good driver doesn't need a map, especially if he or she does the same route every day. I get a new map every two years in case there is a new sub division with a small street I have never been to or have seen before.

Fred's Myth

Nonhyphenated American
Back to the OP--there is actually a simple solution, at least as far as a route map is concerned. You should request that your manager obtain, or preferably show YOU how to print a route map in Planet Station. The swings at my station do this daily. Then plot your stops on it until you become familiar with the route. Simple.

overflowed

Actually, yeah. Now that computer is mine and I'm taking it with me when I leave, plus I'm writing it off as a business expense.

Same with my college books. I have a large library of books, technical manuals, schematics, etc. that, when new, cost more than you make in a year. Tuition didn't cover the cost of books and I can't complete school without them. I keep the receipts and write them off when I do my taxes.
You buy 50 to 70K worth of books? Someone is getting over on you, and it isn't fedex for once.

overflowed

Actually, we get reimbursed for our work boots and glasses are covered under our benefits.

You're right, a good driver doesn't need a map, especially if he or she does the same route every day. I get a new map every two years in case there is a new sub division with a small street I have never been to or have seen before.
I know you're in Canada, but I had been told the boot reimbursement is gone. Can anyone in the US verify if this is correct or not? I need some new Timberlands.

Operational needs

Virescit Vulnere Virtus
I know you're in Canada, but I had been told the boot reimbursement is gone. Can anyone in the US verify if this is correct or not? I need some new Timberlands.

My mgr told me, about three months ago, that it still exists for steel toed only. Not the composite boots. I need new Timberlands also. Lol.

59 Dano

I just want to make friends!
Artee, you do not understand what I am saying. Routes are not the same everyday. Sometimes it means going out of YOUR regular area. Then what? Not being able to use the companies WiFi to look up stops. Not being provided with a Mapsco or Map. Glad you know every street in your city, but who does? Are you using DRA which maps are provided? What about being thrown on an SRA route that you have never been in that area. How are you suppose to get around? The company needs to provide maps or allow and pay for our GPS systems. Simple as that.

Oh, I dunno. Maybe ask a fellow courier or swing driver where the address is or to borrow his or her map. Ask dispatch. I've got at least 2 or 3 maps for every county we cover and just about every one of them was free. I may have paid a buck or two at some point. Haven't been to a city yet that didn't offer a free city/county map at the courthouse, a bank, chamber of commerce, or some similar place.

You sound like a rookie.

Cactus

Just telling it like it is
Oh, I dunno. Maybe ask a fellow courier or swing driver where the address is or to borrow his or her map. Ask dispatch. I've got at least 2 or 3 maps for every county we cover and just about every one of them was free. I may have paid a buck or two at some point. Haven't been to a city yet that didn't offer a free city/county map at the courthouse, a bank, chamber of commerce, or some similar place.
What do you need maps for anyway? Getting lost from Fred's office to the lunchroom lately?

STFXG

Just realized we have gps and maps on the scanner now. I remember hearing it was coming before peak. It even routes you to the stop if you click on the address in the scanner.

It should help phase out the need for training or route knowledge over at express. I'm sure we are testing it and you guys will eventually get it.

Purplepackage

Just realized we have gps and maps on the scanner now. I remember hearing it was coming before peak. It even routes you to the stop if you click on the address in the scanner.

It should help phase out the need for training or route knowledge over at express. I'm sure we are testing it and you guys will eventually get it.

This is such a bad idea, having area knowledge is about 100% more effective than a gps. Of course a gps on the scanner will help its going to make people rely less on learning and just being a drone