Huge layoffs are happening to 22.4s

Up In Smoke

Sounds like a good investment
They are currently renting a 936 sq ft first floor apartment. They have 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, two parking stalls, access to a nice fitness center, pool, outdoor grill and patio area with direct access to a bike trail. Their rent is $1250.00 with all utilities included and they are able to max out their 401k's and add $100 per week into a rainy day account. My fear is that a purchase will cause them to reduce both of the saving tools they are currently funding.

Up In Smoke

It's funny that they tried to say the square footage wasn't equal until I pointed out the stairwell at the house removed about 60 sq ft of living space.

Thebrownblob

They are currently renting a 936 sq ft first floor apartment. They have 2 bedrooms and 1.5 baths, two parking stalls, access to a nice fitness center, pool, outdoor grill and patio area with direct access to a bike trail. Their rent is $1250.00 with all utilities included and they are able to max out their 401k's and add $100 per week into a rainy day account. My fear is that a purchase will cause them to reduce both of the saving tools they are currently funding.
Maybe, but buying a home, made me more fiscally responsible. I have less than two years left to pay off the current one I live in and it has more than doubled in value in the 14 years I have lived in it. 401k maxed most of those years. No car payments. As well as other investments like Roth IRA ect. I think I certainly would’ve missed out on a great investment had I chose not to own a home. Although I do agree it’s not for everyone.

Up In Smoke

The current valuations, mortgage programs and standard deductions make home ownership today far less attractive. My wife and I bought our current house in 2010, near the bottom of the market. We paid 50% of it's previous purchase price because of the crash. If your financially responsible, renting is a better path.

Thebrownblob

The current valuations, mortgage programs and standard deductions make home ownership today far less attractive. My wife and I bought our current house in 2010, near the bottom of the market. We paid 50% of it's previous purchase price because of the crash. If your financially responsible, renting is a better path.
Again, all that is a maybe you’re guessing just like anyone else. The current standard deduction is garbage I agree. Although just a few years into our first mortgage, we refinanced at 2.8% basically nullifying any tax deduction we got because it was such a low rate. This home was brand new, so no one owned it before. It has beaten valuations, almost every year. Certainly interest rates now are nowhere near what I was able to get so that would definitely play a factor. I also don’t see them going down anytime soon. So if homeownership is something they really want it may be out of reach if they wait too long.

Again, all that is a maybe you’re guessing just like anyone else. The current standard deduction is garbage I agree. Although just a few years into our first mortgage, we refinanced at 2.8% basically nullifying any tax deduction we got because it was such a low rate. This home was brand new, so no one owned it before. It has beaten valuations, almost every year. Certainly interest rates now are nowhere near what I was able to get so that would definitely play a factor. I also don’t see them going down anytime soon. So if homeownership is something they really want it may be out of reach if they wait too long.
The free money is gone for a while

Up In Smoke

When we played with the numbers at a 30 year mortgage, the kids would be almost 600k further ahead renting compared to buying. Of course we didn't mess with tax, insurance or special assessment cost increases. We assumed rent would rise equal to .5 of house maintenance costs.

Man I almost paid enough in taxes to Zelenskyy this year to buy them an Abrams tank.
ao0oPX2MxOrNS.gif

When we played with the numbers at a 30 year mortgage, the kids would be almost 600k further ahead renting compared to buying. Of course we didn't mess with tax, insurance or special assessment cost increases. We assumed rent would rise equal to .5 of house maintenance costs.
But did you take an account with that house will be worth 30 years from now?

Thebrownblob

We switched to a 15 year a couple years into a 30.

Up In Smoke

But did you take an account with that house will be worth 30 years from now?
Yes, we added a 3% per year increase in value. A 30 yr mortgage at 5%, taxes, interest, insurance, down payment, utilities and maintenance came to $722k. The home value increased from 180k to 326k over that same 30 years. A net loss of 396k. Assuming that they put their down payment into a brokerage account and added the $805 additional dollars per month the purchase would cost them, after 30 years at a 5% return, they would be roughly 250k ahead after deducting 30 years of rent.

Yes, we added a 3% per year increase in value. A 30 yr mortgage at 5%, taxes, interest, insurance, down payment, utilities and maintenance came to $722k. The home value increased from 180k to 326k over that same 30 years. A net loss of 396k. Assuming that they put their down payment into a brokerage account and added the $805 additional dollars per month the purchase would cost them, after 30 years at a 5% return, they would be roughly 250k ahead after deducting 30 years of rent.
But on the other hand nobody knows what the future is going to hold.
Owning something not right and have no debt, there is no way to equal that return

Up In Smoke

Only a UPS driver would think renting is better than buying. Paying someone else mortgage is not better than paying your own.
Problem with a mortgage is you pay for the home 4/5 times over before it's yours. The 2021 average house payment was $890 more per month than rent for the same square footage.