I plan on becoming a steward. Mark my words. (PT/Package Handler ATM)

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
All I will say is this: Sarcasm and discouragement is exactly why I see a lot of new-hires quit. That and a lack of empathy from fellow Brothers. You guys have to understand and adapt to how the new generation thinks and handles things. Consider the following: Imagine growing up in a Right to Work state your whole life and getting a union job for the first time and your exposure to it is literally no one helping you out, no old heads approach you to show the ropes, and they only have their scab sups and managers to go to because prior to a union job, they never had Brother solidarity. I understand new people and PT people don't stay long, but if the union is to stay strong, we have to speak to others through a mirror, so to speak. My parents raised me on the principles on busting ass and making a name for yourself. Keeping your mouth shut and dealing with it. I also grew up amongst the new generation, being in my late 20s almost 30. Most people can't read above a 4th grade level. Imagine giving a 200 page packet to someone who for their whole life, only read when necessary in class.
Sounds suspicious 🤨

542thruNthru

Good luck to you brother. I would like to say one thing though. If you want to be a Shop Steward I recommend you grow some thicker skin. You seem to not do well with sarcasm or smart ass remarks.

Hope you stick around.

W

WestCoastBrown

Sounds suspicious 🤨
Not really. I just have a lot of empathy. I have seen first hand what happens when you don't have solidarity in the workplace when I was furloughed during the COVID shutdown. I'm just telling you honestly what I have been noticing. I'm trying to help as a younger person.
Good luck to you brother. I would like to say one thing though. If you want to be a Shop Steward I recommend you grow some thicker skin. You seem to not do well with sarcasm or smart ass remarks.

Hope you stick around.
Thanks man. I sincerely do plan on staying. I do have thick skin, but others might not; hence speaking through a mirror thing. I banter with people all the time jokingly and crack jokes, but only after getting to know them first.

542thruNthru

Not really. I just have a lot of empathy. I have seen first hand what happens when you don't have solidarity in the workplace when I was furloughed during the COVID shutdown. I'm just telling you honestly what I have been noticing. I'm trying to help as a younger person.

Thanks man. I sincerely do plan on staying. I do have thick skin, but others might not; hence speaking through a mirror thing. I banter with people all the time jokingly and crack jokes, but only after getting to know them first.
I'm guessing you're out of local 104?

W

WestCoastBrown

Good luck in AZ.
Thanks man, sincerely. Everyday is a scorcher, but I was born and raised here. I upped my calorie intake and have never felt such a boost in testosterone nor confidence since this job, as weird as that is to say. I go to sleep well knowing I busted ass. Honest days work for an honest days pay.

W

WestCoastBrown

I'll also just point out this: How many of your new employees that are on probation know about having a steward present? I'm not talking about scabs who REFUSE to pay their dues, I'm talking about people who have to even wait to have the choice to? I'll give an actual example: An employee is scared to discuss pay discrepancies. They are not getting paid correctly/hours not looking correct. They are scared to speak up because of the probation period in a Right to work state. Who do they go to? I know the answer in article 3 and 4, but do you think a freshly new PT (potential union due payer of course) would without being introduced to a steward?

Karma...

I was working at ups for 15 months before a driver steward came up to me and said I had to pay the initiation fee.....there was not a pt steward at that time....I ended up being the first pt steward in my state.....I highly recommend it and you will learn a lot.....

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
I have been here for about a month and work any and every chance I can get. I thought I wanted to be a driver but after seeing so many new faces come and go, and even just talking with fellow co-workers, am saddened to see a lack of understanding the contract. I really don't mean this in a callous way. I read the contract via the PDF pretty religiously due to family of mine being union members. I want to be the voice for those that feel like they have none. I don't want to be some push-over scab and plan on paying my dues immediately. I understand what it means to be impartial, but I refuse to be a push-over. I also lurked quite a bit here before posting, so I look forward to you all getting to know me, as I plan to look out for my Brothers and Sisters in the hub. (Yes I capitalized them by importance.)
okay. check back with a progress report in a year.

W

WestCoastBrown

okay. check back with a progress report in a year.
Okay, I will. Now if you can kindly reply to this:
I'll also just point out this: How many of your new employees that are on probation know about having a steward present? I'm not talking about scabs who REFUSE to pay their dues, I'm talking about people who have to even wait to have the choice to? I'll give an actual example: An employee is scared to discuss pay discrepancies. They are not getting paid correctly/hours not looking correct. They are scared to speak up because of the probation period in a Right to work state. Who do they go to? I know the answer in article 3 and 4, but do you think a freshly new PT (potential union due payer of course) would without being introduced to a steward?

W

WestCoastBrown

In fact, this has me heated. Imagine if a new PT came up to you looking for guidance, what would you say? "Suck it up kid?" Well damn, there goes a potential dues payer and a possibly interested member. "You aren't part of my union, why should I care?" Oh yeah great line of thinking for someone who isn't even allowed to pay dues yet. Again, I'm not talking about scabs who ride along using the union without paying dues, I'm talking about an honest to God, willing potential dues member.

W

WestCoastBrown

It's up to us old timers to make sure these young part-timers vote

Good luck with that grandpa
Here is what young and pissed looks like. Want better contracts? Look out for us! Guess who helps the drivers day go smoother? Loaders. Keep the loaders and you got happy drivers. How is this even a hard concept to understand? Even I can see this just talking and interacting with drivers.

Here is what young and pissed looks like. Want better contracts? Look out for us! Guess who helps the drivers day go smoother? Loaders. Keep the loaders and you got happy drivers. How is this even a hard concept to understand? Even I can see this just talking and interacting with drivers.
You don't get it.
The company hasn't taken care of part-timers for decades because they know they do not vote
If you want to do something positive and get the people involved that's fantastic but you got to get them to vote

UnionStrong

I always said the preloader makes or breaks my day. I’ve had really great ones which I took care of and I’ve had complete idiots, the worst of which became a preload supervisor!

UnionStrong

Preload was originally a job for college students who had no intention of becoming drivers, gradually those kids no longer wanted to work that hard. The new workers wanted full time jobs eventually so it became a route to driving. Now they want driver money without wanting to drive.

W

WestCoastBrown

You don't get it.
The company hasn't taken care of part-timers for decades because they know they do not vote
If you want to do something positive and get the people involved that's fantastic but you got to get them to vote
"Because they KNOW they do not vote" sounds like giving up on the collective bargaining unit to me. I refuse that. I reject that line of thinking. I won't let this flame die.
Preload was originally a job for college students who had no intention of becoming drivers, gradually those kids no longer wanted to work that hard. The new workers wanted full time jobs eventually so it became a route to driving. Now they want driver money without wanting to drive.
This is why I am refusing to drive. Almost all the new people in just want to drive and that's that, but get burned out before that even happens. Almost every new 22.4 HEMS AND HAWS about how crappy of a deal they got and are forced to work Saturdays. Something HAS to change. I'm now stumped, but this is where I will take experience and notes. When I am allowed into the meetings, I will finally have a clearer picture, but for now, I'll sit on the sidelines till I am allowed to make my dues.