I thought I worked for Ground

FedExer267

Yesterday I am loading up my truck when the suits approach me to tell me all the proflowers on my truck needed to be delivered by 1030. I said to them first of my route is to big for me to do that and second I do not work for Express. They told me it was a deal FedEx struck with proflowers. Thats terrific dont you think you should of checked with the drivers first because we do not work for you and you will not get Express service out of anyone for 12 dollars a hour. If you want to make those deals and run us like employees then pay us like employees. I heard they were even calling guys to see if they were going to make commit times. Commit times at ground what a joke... last time I checked commit times for business was by end of their work day 5pm. Whats next?

bbsam

Staff member
You are correct. When I am approached with "commit times" I kindly inform the individual that there is a Fedex for that but I am not part of it.

FedEx courier

You are correct. When I am approached with "commit times" I kindly inform the individual that there is a Fedex for that but I am not part of it.

What are you going to do when they start cutting your pay for not making those "commit times" bbsam? Are you going to go to that fair mediation team that FedEx has that you've talked about before? Just curious.

FedEx courier

Haven't you heard of "operational need" bbsam? It's a FedEx term that means that can change the rules on you any time dictated by the needs of the particular operation. I'm sure it's in that contract you have with them somewhere. :happy2:

bbsam

Staff member
No. Operational need to me means that they need it. If Fedex wants to pay me more to deliver by a certain time, that's one thing. So far that seems to be Express' territory. If in the future they want to pay me to deliver at those appointed times, then we have something to talk about.

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

Here FedEx Express and Ground are in two separate facilities about 4 miles away from each other. The Express packages are brought to Express and the Ground to Ground. The Ground drivers are usually on the road 1-3 hours before the Express guys. The only commit time on Ground is end of business day. If the ProFlowers packages are brought to the Ground hub I would think that those drivers would have no choice other than to load and then deliver them but I would think that these deliveries would have the same commit time as any other Ground pkg, end of day. Insisting upon commit times is further intermingling the 2 "separate" brands while lowering FedEx's operating costs. What's to prevent the company from diverting even more committed work to the Ground drivers at the expense of the Express workers?

Washu234

Can the Ground Powerpad/Tracker what ever you call it even scan Express packages? I've tried to comment scan GND packages before on the Powerpad and it say 'invalid scan'. Heard a rumor that Ground can however be scanned when in STA mode.

SmithBarney

Ground can be scanned with the PPAD in certain circumstances, ie Ground Package in Dropbox(try the exceptions screen then scroll down), and Station related tasks.

Recently somewhere, a VP visited a Express Station, and he was asked if FedEx was considering combining Ground and Express, and he stated that nothing of the sort had been discussed.
Although he left it very open and said "never say never"

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
No. Operational need to me means that they need it. If Fedex wants to pay me more to deliver by a certain time, that's one thing. So far that seems to be Express' territory. If in the future they want to pay me to deliver at those appointed times, then we have something to talk about.

No. "Operational Need" means that you do whatever they tell you to do, even if it's illegal, immoral, or unethical, without question pending immediate termination for insubordination. Don't believe me? Guess what? It's headed your way and you don't even know it. Bend over, grease-up, and grab those ankles, because Uncle Fred has an operational "need" for you.

bbsam

Staff member
No. "Operational Need" means that you do whatever they tell you to do, even if it's illegal, immoral, or unethical, without question pending immediate termination for insubordination. Don't believe me? Guess what? It's headed your way and you don't even know it. Bend over, grease-up, and grab those ankles, because Uncle Fred has an operational "need" for you.
If Fred comes with an open check book I'm willing to listen to any proposition. Maybe I'll "grease-up" with what's left of your mangled carcass

FedEx courier

If Fred comes with an open check book I'm willing to listen to any proposition. Maybe I'll "grease-up" with what's left of your mangled carcass
Do you really think that checkbook is going to open up for you to get you to do more. Like I said before it's probably in your contract that they can change any portion of the agreement at anytime. Good luck thinking the golden goose will be laying more eggs for you when you are forced to do more. I admire your optimism.:happy2:

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Do you really think that checkbook is going to open up for you to get you to do more. Like I said before it's probably in your contract that they can change any portion of the agreement at anytime. Good luck thinking the golden goose will be laying more eggs for you when you are forced to do more. I admire your optimism.:happy2:

I'm wondering when he will figure out the way FedEx really works. Like WalMart, Fred always "gets more for less", which translates into dollars in his pocket and pennies in yours. If Express volumes get shifted over to Ground, FedEx will ensure that the profit structure that benefits them (not bbsam) will stay firmly in place. Once again, I'd like to see how the average Ground driver would do on an Express route with P1 and SOS time commitments, not to mention on-call pickups. I'm guessing it would be ugly. You get what you pay for, and 12 bucks an hour doesn't get you much. Good luck on making that 99.7% service level bbsam...you'll need it.

Brown287

Im not the Mail Man!
It will be interesting to see how willing FDX will be to give any more to the Ground contractors since this last profit increase was reported as being the result of international increases(FDX Express). Apparently the ground side has been milked for all its worth, so now FDX will plan around that. The time commits that FDX is offering and requiring of its Ground are just the beginning, I would be interested in knowing how this service is being billed to the customers. Also one might view this as a desperate move by a desperate company, why on earth would you offer a service that is normally viewed as a premium service for Ground rates, everybody is fully aware of the profit of air versus the profit on ground.

bbsam

Staff member
I'm wondering when he will figure out the way FedEx really works. Like WalMart, Fred always "gets more for less", which translates into dollars in his pocket and pennies in yours. If Express volumes get shifted over to Ground, FedEx will ensure that the profit structure that benefits them (not bbsam) will stay firmly in place. Once again, I'd like to see how the average Ground driver would do on an Express route with P1 and SOS time commitments, not to mention on-call pickups. I'm guessing it would be ugly. You get what you pay for, and 12 bucks an hour doesn't get you much. Good luck on making that 99.7% service level bbsam...you'll need it.
I would bet my bank account that I could step into 95% of the express routes in my area and hit 99.7% on day one with only the explanation of each commit time. There's a reason I have the vacation contract around here. I really am that good.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I would bet my bank account that I could step into 95% of the express routes in my area and hit 99.7% on day one with only the explanation of each commit time. There's a reason I have the vacation contract around here. I really am that good.

And modest.

FedEx courier

Maybe you can but do you honestly think that all the Ground drivers are capable of doing what you are?

vantexan

But why would they do next day? There's a place for permanent employees, and while BBSam is certain he can do what we do most likely he'll only have to worry about 1630 commits for business and 1900 for resi's. There may come a day when FedEx is completely a contractor operation. It'll take time to get there. If they were to give express saver and 2-day to Ground it'll require substantial hiring to cover the extra freight. There would still have to be planes to fly that freight while regular Ground freight is trucked. FedEx doesn't have enough planes to fly Express and Ground freight(Would negate much of the profit if they did). And trucking all freight would be problematic for 2-day and Express Saver, near impossible for next day delivery. Most likely we'll see regular employees dispatched to pup all services, including Ground. Ground will be diverted at return to station. 2 day and three day, unless local, will go to hubs, sorted into separate containers at hub, either loaded into separate trucks at ramp or trucked to Ground station after dropping off next day at Express station. Most likely different logistical situations will require different methods. Just a guess, but in order to keep Express employees from getting very expensive OT they'll have couriers doing deliveries only in the morning with pup only couriers working the afternoons. Standard Overnight will be divided between the 2 groups, whatever it takes to keep everyone to under 35 hrs. You know what, if the company would embrace this, give us a great hourly rate but only work us 30 or so hrs a week, mornings or evenings, I bet you'd see some real enthusiasm for this, a much happier workforce. Saturday is a regular day for me, usually a shorter day, and definitely a nicer day to work compared to during the week. 6 or 7 hrs a day max, still make a living, that'll be much more likely than $70k a year working long hrs.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
It will be interesting to see how willing FDX will be to give any more to the Ground contractors since this last profit increase was reported as being the result of international increases(FDX Express). Apparently the ground side has been milked for all its worth, so now FDX will plan around that. The time commits that FDX is offering and requiring of its Ground are just the beginning, I would be interested in knowing how this service is being billed to the customers. Also one might view this as a desperate move by a desperate company, why on earth would you offer a service that is normally viewed as a premium service for Ground rates, everybody is fully aware of the profit of air versus the profit on ground.

International volumes are the future for Express because domestic volumes are flat. Ground still has vast potential for FedEx, especially if they can shift Express product over to a lower-cost model. The trick will be service, because the average Ground driver is way behind his Express counterpart. The premium price for air demands excellent service, and Ground (for now) cannot provide it. In most cases, they don't even do a good job with what they've got. Smith may try, and if he does, it's a golden opportunity for UPS to successfully market it's air products to an audience that will quickly learn that $12 per hour non-professionals don't provide the same level of customer service. I can see the Ground guy now, showing-up at the airport ramp at 7:00 sharp. The only problem is that the airplane his outbound was supposed to be on left at 6:30.

SmithBarney

YES but 99.7% of Express's job is BEING ON TIME... so your basically saying you can't do the job. bbsam, you think you can do it,
great so your saying its the same job as ground... does that mean we really aren't an airline employees? You seem to forget the argument.
off topic questions:

Do your drivers secure their vehicles at every commercial stop?
do they drive with the bulk head door open?
do they leave their keys in the ignition?
do they pull in driveways nose first?

cause thats all I see from west to east.