If You Can Make it There....

vantexan

My God, they totally ripped you guys off
True. Hung in there for the pension and only got a partial one. Plugged up artery, diabetes, feet and knee problems and the 2008 meltdown kept me there. If you have been following the FedEx forum it was all part of building Ground infrastructure at our expense. And now looks like a lot of couriers are getting screwed with the shift to Ground.

vantexan

I can’t imagine what kind of psychological games they played on those guys for them to not do everything in their power to join a union, knowing what their counterparts at UPS made.
We literally couldn't get support from the Teamsters after FedEx got rules changes that made it extremely difficult to unionize. Nearly impossible.

Thebrownblob

True. Hung in there for the pension and only got a partial one. Plugged up artery, diabetes, feet and knee problems and the 2008 meltdown kept me there. If you have been following the FedEx forum it was all part of building Ground infrastructure at our expense. And now looks like a lot of couriers are getting screwed with the shift to Ground.
Every company has a culture, even UPS. UPS culture is do what we say and an iron fist of fear until you realize they’re full full of :censored2:. Apparently the culture at FedEx treating you like mushrooms keeping you in the dark feeding you guys :censored2:. They always had a promise for you guys down the road of course that promise was a lie.

Thebrownblob

We literally couldn't get support from the Teamsters after FedEx got rules changes that made it extremely difficult to unionize. Nearly impossible.
Well, that’s not entirely true. Like I said I was involved in that campaign and the plan was to try and organize one terminal at a time. The problem was most of those drivers were two chicken:censored2: or too brainwashed to believe they needed a union. They all said Fred was going to take care of them.

vantexan

Well, that’s not entirely true. Like I said I was involved in that campaign and the plan was to try and organize one terminal at a time. The problem was most of those drivers were two chicken:censored2: or two brainwashed to believe they needed a union. They all said Fred was going to take care of them.
We(Express employees) were/are under the Railroad Labor Act which doesn't allow one terminal at a time. Had a great Congressman from Michigan who got an attachment to an FAA bill called the Express Employees Relief Act. Would have put us under the NLRA. Fred S started handing out tens of millions in campaign contributions which caused the FAA bill to be kicked down the road. When they finally voted on the FAA bill, which couldn't be delayed any longer, they got the Relief Act not only removed from the bill but they also changed the union voting rules for the Railroad Labor Act. Went from 35% of the affected class signing union cards nationwide to force a union vote to 50%+ 1 nationwide. The Teamsters stopped trying after that.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
We(Express employees) were/are under the Railroad Labor Act which doesn't allow one terminal at a time. Had a great Congressman from Michigan who got an attachment to an FAA bill called the Express Employees Relief Act. Would have put us under the NLRA. Fred S started handing out tens of millions in campaign contributions which caused the FAA bill to be kicked down the road. When they finally voted on the FAA bill, which couldn't be delayed any longer, they got the Relief Act not only removed from the bill but they also changed the union voting rules for the Railroad Labor Act. Went from 35% of the affected class signing union cards nationwide to force a union vote to 50%+ 1 nationwide. The Teamsters stopped trying after that.
You could have applied at UPS. They probably would have hired you. I got a feeling many at FedEx were allergic to hard work.

vantexan

It’s inexplicable. What kind of fool stays there?
When I started with FedEx it was a good job with decent pay and benefits. By the time I had quit the first time in '97 it was still decent minus the raises. When I quit again in 2013 topping out for midrange employees was stretched out forever. And benefits had been stripped. I came back the last time because I needed a job. And retiring at 55 gave me the airline discount. Flew to both London and Buenos Aires for less than $170 each.

Thebrownblob

Correct we had a huge letter, writing campaign, where every driver sat down and filled out a form letter to their Congress person. Didn’t work.

UnionStrong

When I started with FedEx it was a good job with decent pay and benefits. By the time I had quit the first time in '97 it was still decent minus the raises. When I quit again in 2013 topping out for midrange employees was stretched out forever. And benefits had been stripped. I came back the last time because I needed a job. And retiring at 55 gave me the airline discount. Flew to both London and Buenos Aires for less than $170 each.
You choose poorly my friend.

UnionStrong

UPS was hiring

vantexan

You could have applied at UPS. They probably would have hired you. I got a feeling many at FedEx were allergic to hard work.
When I started at FedEx and for many years after I drove a 28' stepvan full of freight. I've been a swing driver two times and a 4X10 cover driver 3 times. I volunteered for years to unload containers in the morning. Even when I was 48 and not knowing I had a 99% plugged artery coming at me. I have nothing to hang my head about work wise. Once delivered 19 stops, all documents, in 24 minutes in a downtown Seattle building I had never been in. They had fast elevators and I did windsprints. I volunteered to work Christmas Day every time I was asked and had years where I worked at least 40 Saturdays as a sixth day. My numbers were so high.in Kansas that a district director asked to meet me when he visited. All I ever wanted in return was decent pay and benefits. But I always had a fallback plan. If y'all don't want to live overseas more power to you. Never asked.you to. But if it helps someone then I'm letting them know here what's possible.

vantexan

Correct we had a huge letter, writing campaign, where every driver sat down and filled out a form letter to their Congress person. Didn’t work.
$32 million in campaign contributions and companies telling their Congressman they don't want to see their Express fees jacked up has a lot of weight. I never saw a Teamster at any of my stations and I worked all over.

UnionStrong

When I started at FedEx and for many years after I drove a 28' stepvan full of freight. I've been a swing driver two times and a 4X10 cover driver 3 times. I volunteered for years to unload containers in the morning. Even when I was 48 and not knowing I had a 99% plugged artery coming at me. I have nothing to hang my head about work wise. Once delivered 19 stops, all documents, in 24 minutes in a downtown Seattle building I had never been in. They had fast elevators and I did windsprints. I volunteered to work Christmas Day every time I was asked and had years where I worked at least 40 Saturdays as a sixth day. My numbers were so high.in Kansas that a district director asked to meet me when he visited. All I ever wanted in return was decent pay and benefits. But I always had a fallback plan. If y'all don't want to live overseas more power to you. Never asked.you to. But if it helps someone then I'm letting them know here what's possible.
So you were a runner to boot…