If You Can Make it There....

Thebrownblob

I honestly thought in the mid 90's that FedEx would eventually come through. Had a UPS mgr offer me a job back in '91 but at the time I couldn't see spending my life in Emporia, KS. Wanted to transfer to the Southwest.
Hindsight, 2020 UPS Emporia would’ve treated you better, long-term.

UnionStrong

Sorry, but I don’t care anymore.
You know what? My $2000 a month income when I'm 67 in many countries will be like having $4000 to $6000 a month in the States. I'll eat well, have Netflix, and warm weather. So I'll be fine.
My 8K is like 8K in the US of A, not including my portfolio and property.

Thebrownblob

Emporia has turned into a pretty nice small city but in 1991 it sucked.
It’s a good college town and you would’ve been one of the highest paid people in that whole place lol UPS drivers are like doctors in those small towns. And didn’t have to do it forever just to get your pension.

vantexan

My 8K is like 8K in the US of A, not including my portfolio and property.
But I don't have $8k. Why is it that you guys think I should stay here and be totally strapped for the rest of my life? $6000 a month is $72k a year. I've never made that much. And my needs are minimal. I'll live fine on $1200 a month and put the rest in savings.

UnionStrong

But I don't have $8k. Why is it that you guys think I should stay here and be totally strapped for the rest of my life? $6000 a month is $72k a year. I've never made that much. And my needs are minimal. I'll live fine on $1200 a month and put the rest in savings.
I’m not saying you should stay here. I wish you well living amongst foreigners

vantexan

It’s a good college town and you would’ve been one of the highest paid people in that whole place lol UPS drivers are like doctors in those small towns. And didn’t have to do it forever just to get your pension.
There was a UPS guy making $50k in 1991 in Emporia who was having an affair with my pretty, married, coworker. He bought a bar and let his bartender run it while he would introduce himself as the owner to every attractive woman who came in.

UnionStrong

There was a UPS guy making $50k in 1991 in Emporia who was having an affair with my pretty, married, coworker. He bought a bar and let his bartender run it while he would introduce himself as the owner to every attractive woman who came in.
IMG_1874.gif

Thebrownblob

Sounds a little low even for 1991 but that could be true. I was making 50 K 1998-1999 as a part-time employee double shifting three or four days a week until I went full-time in 2000.

UnionStrong

Sounds a little low even for 1991 but that could be true. I was making 50 K 1998-1999 as a part-time employee double shifting three or four days a week until I went full-time in 2000.
Actually 50k in 91 sounds high. I started in 90, no one was making more than 17 an hour if I recall