If you hate your job and those you work for at UPS then why do you stay?

rod

Retired 22 years
I didn't stay. I got out the first chance I could. Loved the job except for the half hour in the morning when I had to deal with arrogate, know it all, won't listen to anything you had to say, make sure you understand that you will never do a good enough job for them, turn their back on you and walk away A-holes. If it wasn't for the money and benefits (thanks Teamsters Union) UPS couldn't keep 1% of their hourly workforce. I could probably list on one hand the number of positive dealings I had with management over 30 years.

twoweeled

I guess I should say I kind of enjoy actually the delivering aspect of the job. Cleaning out the truck, organizing, putting smiles on peoples' faces. I even mostly like the driving and people watching on my break.

Mmm, I think I understand that. There were parts, and days, that I liked at the job. There were many parts I enjoyed in boot camp in the military. But I think when we were going through the experience, that's another story. But I think overall, it's difficult for me personally, to say I loved it (overall).

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm not going to argue about it, because I like being married. I love coming home to my wife and kids each and every night. It would crush me to only see my kids once a week and every other weekend. If I got divorced I would quit UPS the next day.

Again, as I stated earlier arguing about money is one of the leading causes of divorce. I don't want that as a factor. Happy wifey, happy lifey.
bumped,

I agree financial problems can and do cause a lot of problems in a marriage.

Are you saying that if you try to limit your family's purchase of crap you don't need then your marriage would be in jeopardy?

Are you saying that your wife's happiness is tied up with your family's ability to continue to buy crap you don't need?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
One reason and one reason only. money! If I'm not getting paid, I promise you, I'm not showing up!
I think that's the reality of most people. some people have a way of convincing themselves they love their jobs. I guarantee, if you don't pay them, they won't be showing up either. I think of things I love to do - and I don't have to be paid to do any of the things I truly love to do.
twoweeled,

I am not talking about most people, the question is for you personally.

Do you hate your job and/or those you work for at UPS?

Sincerely,
I

Integrity

Binge Poster
I,

I'd. Have to say -at least 50%. Just because of management . I go out every day and do my job the same way every time. I don't care about their numbers. All I'm here for is the ck. Only time they say boo to me is because they make a stupid add /cut or tell me to go help somehow. Then the numbers don't look good. Not my problem. I just did what they wanted. Somehow my telematics are the best in the building. Day in, day out. I don't even try.
10 2 go,

So would you say you only hate 50% of your job then?

Sincerely,
I

PiedmontSteward

RTW-4-Less
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

For Discussion:

If you hate your job and those you work for at UPS then why do you stay?

If are truly that miserable then what motivates you?

Sincerely,
I

Job security and the prospect of a secure retirement.

I watched each of parents get laid off because of off-shoring/NAFTA during my childhood and early adolescence. Neither of them will ever be able to have a secure retirement, other than social security as they burned through their 401k's to keep from losing their house. I refuse to let that happen to me.

Additionally, that feeling you get when you come around the corner and catch a supervisor doing something they shouldn't be doing (mistreating another union member, working, etc.) and they scatter like roaches when the kitchen light comes on.

RandomDrone

No I don't personally hate or even dislike any of my co-workers. I believe that "Institutional Analysis" theory shapes the behavior of my coworkers more than their own personalities. The problem is you have to get very high up the chain to get people to talk truth to power and even CMs and such are afraid to question their own superiors. If their is a system failure, the over-generalized metrics which fail to control for many factors are where they look, not the over all corporate philosophy.

In other words: "But it was all right, everything was all right, the struggle was finished. He had won the victory over himself. He loved Big Brother."

Integrity

Binge Poster
Why? With a question to every answer? You must be management. You seem to be the most dry person. I do find amusement in some of your answers. But, all the questions tend to annoy. If the thread has no legs it dies.
10 2 go,

This thread is targeted toward discussion with those who hate there jobs or those they work for at UPS. Not those who only partially hate their jobs.

I have posted many threads I know what to expect.

Sincerely,
I

bumped

bumped,

I agree financial problems can and do cause a lot of problems in a marriage.

Are you saying that if you try to limit your family's purchase of crap you don't need then your marriage would be in jeopardy?

Are you saying that your wife's happiness is tied up with your family's ability to continue to buy crap you don't need?

Sincerely,
I
I'm not going to micromanage every dollar that's spent.

I'm saying a lot of my happiness is tied up in my wife's happiness.

Integrity

Binge Poster
I'm not going to micromanage every dollar that's spent.

I'm saying a lot of my happiness is tied up in my wife's happiness.
bumped,

I don't believe that a man's attempt at managing the family finances to help reduce, eliminate or minimize the amount of money spent on buying crap that is not needed is wrong.

Do you think that attempting to reduce, eliminate or minimize the amount of money spent by your family would put your wife's happiness and thereby your happiness in jeopardy?

A reasonable person would not view this as micromanagement.

Sincerely,
I

bumped

My wife buys things I view as crap just as my wife I'm sure views things I buy as crap.

The money is not that important to me to get into an argument about.

RandomDrone

browniehound I agree with a lot of what you just said, even though I'm just a cog in a hub... there were days where at almost any other job I would have called in but I got to work anyways because I did not want to saddle my co-workers with the extra volume because I like them and would feel guilty. I think a lot of the problem is a top down obsession with efficiency where it seems like upper management is trying to find the floor of the minimum number of people they need to do the job. This results in a lot of stressful days which actually hurts efficiency. If the OPs premise of "If you hate your job then why don't you quit it?" was legitimate, 80% of my hub would quit tomorrow so it's clearly a flawed premise. In addition to this a shipping company has to be prepared to adjust to unexpected and changing conditions and even the best volume forecasters in the world can not account for weather and unexpected surges, meaning that a skeleton crew that can only handle the ideal amount of volume is not enough. This peak's failures proved that.

Once you learn to just brush off the mental stress, it's definitely not a horrible job but there is a slow creep into an area where it could become one. One thing that constantly bothers me is that if X hub does not meet its numbers, then the automatic assumption is that the hub failed in someway, which is then passed down to people that look at spreadsheets of numbers that are simply not sophisticated enough to account for how different docking bays and such will result in different productivity. If someone who knows the algorithms better than me disagrees, I'd love to see them.

RandomDrone

Another thing that really bothers people at the bottom of the ladder (me), is that we have to sign all of this paperwork about safety and proper technique that in reality is impossible to achieve if you want to meet the metrics that management pushes on you. It's a thinly veiled and thinly shredded liability shield in case of injury but to ask a rhetorical question: why have I signed a dozen safety sheets but not one about performance metrics?

UpstateNYUPSer(Ret)

We had two drivers call in sick on Thursday which prompted our center manager to go on a bit of a tirade during the PCM on Friday. He basically told us that the drivers who had banged in would be given extra work today as they had been forced to cut a route due to the call-ins yesterday. Yes, he said that he was basically going to punish those drivers for calling in sick. He also told us that we need to come to work each and every day and if we do call in sick we need to limit it to one day and that anything beyond that would require a doctor's note.

jumpman23

Oh Yeah
This jobs all about the money and pension anymore. That's about it. Like a prison sentence you do your time and when your released you have nothing to worry about for the most part. Sad but true.

Integrity

Binge Poster
This jobs all about the money and pension anymore. That's about it. Like a prison sentence you do your time and when your released you have nothing to worry about for the most part. Sad but true.
jumpman23,

Do you hate your job or those you work for at UPS?

Sincerely,
I

redshift3

Hate is a strong word. I'm a combo worker. Its difficult not to be disgruntled with your job when everyone else around you is. I'm not happy working for UPS. The ramp is under horrible management at our location and peak was complete chaos. Its always a surprise whats going on every night. They are even trying to run the night sort (outside work) in this -40 wind chill stuff. Some of the equipment barely works or breaks down. Not many people will show up.

I wouldn't say I like it but I don't mind unloading and I do a good job of it. Simple grunt work and in general they leave me alone on that shift.

I'm there for the pay and benefits like everyone else has mentioned. Have to take care of family. I wouldn't mind going back to part time but as far as I know it isn't possible. I am always trying to find ways to be more frugal and working on becoming somewhat of a minimalist. I wouldn't even mind living in one of those tiny houses that people build on a trailer if it meant I didn't have to work at ups.

If I could find a way to always have a roof over my head and insurance I would be much happier with less money.