Illegal Anti-Union Meetings

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

One of Grandfather's gems of advice "No shop talk off the clock" all of the managers I deal with know that if they want to talk to me they have to pay for the priviledge. And that also makes me wonder about something else. Whatever happened to the days of your manager buying lunch while on a check ride? I always thought that was S.O.P. but our newbies won't do it...

Ricochet1a

The newbies are at the bottom of the salary structure, had the bonus taken, their pay cut and their retirement gutted. I'm not trying to garner sympathy for them, it is just the managers with less than 5 years under their belt aren't feeling too generous to anyone right now.

However, I was under the impression that the "checkride lunch" came off the corporate credit card and not the personal. I could be wrong, but with every checkride I've had the corporate credit card came out, not a personal credit card and not cash. I always make it a point to pull into someplace just a little more expensive than my usual stop, to get a decent lunch off of FedEx once a year. Its the least the company can do afterall. We also don't talk shop on lunch. If we talk shop, I code in a 48.

SmithBarney

Pack a lunch, and stop in the middle of nowhere...
Seems to work for most of our guys...

Once a year? heck our station has been on a kick 2 mgrs 24 drivers and they ride with someone new each day. as you might imagine they ride with people multiple times..
I had a AM ride, PM ride, and a Sat. ride...

Ricochet1a

I NEVER take a break in my truck, just "personal" policy. If I'm sitting in the truck, I'm getting paid. A break in my book is having access to a place where I can tend to all sorts of bodily functions and not break the law while doing so.

If you're having that many checkrides, something must be wrong. Missed goals or too many burned deliveries/pu's are the usual reason. Sometime in the past, the same situation occurred at my station. We weren't making district goal, and the burner was turned up on the managers to correct the problem. The yo-yo at the district didn't bother to look one step beyond the spreadsheet and try to figure out why goal wasn't being made. All he was interested in was making goal.

The reason is that there was a time period where a large number of routes had new CRRs running them. Inexperience means lower productivity. The station managers knew this, but they had to get the numbers up pronto. So they did the ridealong thing and made all sorts of threats about making goal and not burning deliveries. After a few months, the problem solved itself. That was my "final exam" in learning how Express operates (by the spreadsheet and not by common sense). FedEx lost me with that experience, and I've just been punching the clock to get what I need ever since.

FedEx All the Way!

Well said. The recent spate of FedEx "trolls" are either Kool-Aid drinkers or management. Some don't even work for FedEx and get their "information" from places like Brownbailout.com. Others are just union-hating Right-Wingers trying to jump on board.

I think 705Red is a bit confused. He's angry because he can't access "our" site, which has nothing to do with employees. Brownbailout.com is directly from Fred S. Do you think he's actually going to let you post what you really think? The "moderators" there only want comments that support the FedEx side of the argument. It's just a big scam.

WAY TO GO FEDEX!!!!:happy-very:
FedEx Corp. rose 14 spots on Fortune magazine’s Global 500 companies list.
Memphis-based FedEx is now ranked 200 on the list, up from 214 last year.

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

Express operates (by the spreadsheet and not by common sense).

AMEN TO THAT ONE!! I wish I had a college degree in screwing up stem times and route structures and them putting them right back where they started...."that's not how we did it in ___________. ( usually Memphis or the manager/engineer's last location) Famous last words!:knockedout:

FedEx All the Way!

It's meaningless.

Senators are considering a bill to reauthorize the Federal Aviation Administration that could foul up overnight delivery for medical patients, the military and every mom-and-pop business in the country. If the bill passes, needed packages absolutely, positively will not be there overnight.
The FAA reauthorization, as passed by the House of Representatives on May 21, contains a 230-word amendment that would apply only to FedEx Express, and that would put the company under onerous labor policies that it never has faced in its 38 years in business. The Senate ought to leave the provision out of its version of the bill.
Like other airline-based businesses, FedEx Express currently operates under the auspices of the Railway Labor Act, which has worked since 1926 to provide for impartial means to resolve labor disputes quickly and fairly without strikes. The House provision, pushed by the Teamsters Union and by rival package deliverer UPS, would make FedEx Express be governed by the National Labor Relations Act -- which effectively could allow one small, local union strike in Any Big Town, USA, to hobble overnight delivery nationwide.
This anti-FedEx provision is a sop to big Democratic donors from the Teamsters and from UPS, who combined have donated more than $164,000 to the provision's House sponsor, Rep. James L. Oberstar, Minnesota Democrat.
Express delivery service is important to countless lives. Nearly 20 percent of FedEx Express' 3.37 million daily deliveries involve critical needs such as key industrial supplies and, more dramatically, overnight drugs and medical equipment. On an average day, this includes more than 8,000 kidney dialysis systems and more than 11,000 in vitro diagnostic substances. FedEx Express also is one of the largest logistic providers for the Department of Defense.
The delivery of business forms, contracts, birthday presents and other items might be less headline-grabbing, but they nonetheless are essential for Americans in our daily work and lives. FedEx Express is a great American success story precisely because it is so reliable -- yet the Oberstar provision could put that reliability at risk, through no fault of the company.

When it comes to overnight delivery service, Congress ought to leave well enough alone.

If this happens they will destroy one of the most dependable companies that offer this type of service. I had the opportunity to visit FedEx to observe their operation and learn about their customer satisfaction program. I was so impressed with their employees and their efficiency. Call your Senators and tell them to stop this insanity before every good company in this country goes the way of GM, Chrysler and the awful United States Postal Service

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Senators are considering a bill to reauthorize the Federal Aviation Administration that could foul up overnight delivery for medical patients, the military and every mom-and-pop business in the country. If the bill passes, needed packages absolutely, positively will not be there overnight.
The FAA reauthorization, as passed by the House of Representatives on May 21, contains a 230-word amendment that would apply only to FedEx Express, and that would put the company under onerous labor policies that it never has faced in its 38 years in business. The Senate ought to leave the provision out of its version of the bill.
Like other airline-based businesses, FedEx Express currently operates under the auspices of the Railway Labor Act, which has worked since 1926 to provide for impartial means to resolve labor disputes quickly and fairly without strikes. The House provision, pushed by the Teamsters Union and by rival package deliverer UPS, would make FedEx Express be governed by the National Labor Relations Act -- which effectively could allow one small, local union strike in Any Big Town, USA, to hobble overnight delivery nationwide.
This anti-FedEx provision is a sop to big Democratic donors from the Teamsters and from UPS, who combined have donated more than $164,000 to the provision's House sponsor, Rep. James L. Oberstar, Minnesota Democrat.
Express delivery service is important to countless lives. Nearly 20 percent of FedEx Express' 3.37 million daily deliveries involve critical needs such as key industrial supplies and, more dramatically, overnight drugs and medical equipment. On an average day, this includes more than 8,000 kidney dialysis systems and more than 11,000 in vitro diagnostic substances. FedEx Express also is one of the largest logistic providers for the Department of Defense.
The delivery of business forms, contracts, birthday presents and other items might be less headline-grabbing, but they nonetheless are essential for Americans in our daily work and lives. FedEx Express is a great American success story precisely because it is so reliable -- yet the Oberstar provision could put that reliability at risk, through no fault of the company.

When it comes to overnight delivery service, Congress ought to leave well enough alone.

If this happens they will destroy one of the most dependable companies that offer this type of service. I had the opportunity to visit FedEx to observe their operation and learn about their customer satisfaction program. I was so impressed with their employees and their efficiency. Call your Senators and tell them to stop this insanity before every good company in this country goes the way of GM, Chrysler and the awful United States Postal Service

Looks like a picture-perfect post for Brownbailout.com, doesn't it? I know you're not smart enough to detect a "plant", but do you ever consider who may have written this and why?

DOWNTRODDEN IN TEXAS

The last time I checked, the unions don't cause late deliveries, late/missed pickups, or any other distraction from the daily routine that is the package cartage/delivery industry.

Also, the last time I checked, FedEx employees don't want to hobble anyone (other than the idiot that is swerving around, talking on the phone on the 2 lane highway where you can't pass..but I digress), we want FAIR REPRESENTATION, FAIR BENEFITS, and most important, FAIR WAGES!! Most of us go above and beyond for our customers DAY IN AND DAY OUT, we aren' going to change that a bit.

SmithBarney

Gee FedEx... the Pilots are All Union... and despite being some of the best paid in the industry, they haven't gone on strike and packages still get delivered.

I'm not an Airline Employee, I can't fly on "my" airline, I've never touched a plane
or even stepped foot on the tarmac, I get a discount on other "airline" tickets which are all STAND-BY tickets.. which I could purchase if I wasn't an employee.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
Gee FedEx... the Pilots are All Union... and despite being some of the best paid in the industry, they haven't gone on strike and packages still get delivered.

I'm not an Airline Employee, I can't fly on "my" airline, I've never touched a plane
or even stepped foot on the tarmac, I get a discount on other "airline" tickets which are all STAND-BY tickets.. which I could purchase if I wasn't an employee.

Isn't that amazing? I wonder why FedEx never bothers to tell the other side of the story.

Ricochet1a

How true. In our case, however, the lying is taken to the stratosphere.

This is very much the case with FedEx. Having worked for many corporations and having been in the military, I can say FedEx has a culture of secrecy and misinformation when it comes to its hourly employees. Most employees in major corporations have a clear view of what that corporation does on a nationwide basis. They have regular communication with fellow employees in different operating locations and are able to get a decent picture of how the corporation operates, along with a picture of how competing corporations operate (it is in employees best interest to know this, since opportunity usually presents itself from a competitor). FedEx hourly employees don't know how their nearby stations are managed, or how different operating divisions are run (witness FDX4Life not knowing what an FDR is). FedEx is a collection of almost 1000 operating locations across the US (ramps, stations and hubs), with the hourly employees that haven't transferred having not a clue as to how those other 1000 locations operate. Their only sources of information are what corporate decides to tell them (Frontline :knockedout:) or what their managers decide to tell them. Since corporate is actively trying to deceive employees, FedEx hourly employees don't really have a clue as to how bad they are getting it.

With FedEx, there is absolutely no opportunity for employees to jump ship. A Courier can't prepare a resume and try to work for another company doing the same line of work and get paid better. They would go to the bottom of the seniority listing, and have to work their way back up. In other words, not an option. This is what keeps most FedEx employees trapped within FedEx, there is no other viable option to change jobs without having to go to the bottom of "seniority". In white collar jobs, employees are constantly updating their resume, sending it out whenever an opportunity makes itself known. If a better offer comes along, they jump ship to greener pastures. This means that white collar employees tend to be paid higher than blue collar employees of comparable levels of responsibility. The employers have to compete on the basis of salary all the time, lest they lose their workforce.

There is only one option available to blue collar employees to ensure they have some bargaining position when it comes to their compensation. They can't send out resumes and attempt to get better terms of employment with another company doing the same line of work, the "system" isn't geared that way. They have to form an union and engage in collective bargaining to ensure they have the same levels of compensation as a white collar employee would have that possesses comparable levels of responsibility in their work. This is the ONLY option employees have that operate in a company (or career) that uses seniority as a method of ranking employees that perform identical job functions. This is why that old FedEx mantra of "there's the door, if you don't like your job, walk through it", is a red herring. There is no option for an employee that has made a career with FedEx. Once they made that choice, they're stuck. The option is to have a leveled playing field with FedEx, and taking away the RLA status from FedEx for non-aircraft related employees.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
This is very much the case with FedEx. Having worked for many corporations and having been in the military, I can say FedEx has a culture of secrecy and misinformation when it comes to its hourly employees. Most employees in major corporations have a clear view of what that corporation does on a nationwide basis. They have regular communication with fellow employees in different operating locations and are able to get a decent picture of how the corporation operates, along with a picture of how competing corporations operate (it is in employees best interest to know this, since opportunity usually presents itself from a competitor). FedEx hourly employees don't know how their nearby stations are managed, or how different operating divisions are run (witness FDX4Life not knowing what an FDR is). FedEx is a collection of almost 1000 operating locations across the US (ramps, stations and hubs), with the hourly employees that haven't transferred having not a clue as to how those other 1000 locations operate. Their only sources of information are what corporate decides to tell them (Frontline :knockedout:) or what their managers decide to tell them. Since corporate is actively trying to deceive employees, FedEx hourly employees don't really have a clue as to how bad they are getting it.

With FedEx, there is absolutely no opportunity for employees to jump ship. A Courier can't prepare a resume and try to work for another company doing the same line of work and get paid better. They would go to the bottom of the seniority listing, and have to work their way back up. In other words, not an option. This is what keeps most FedEx employees trapped within FedEx, there is no other viable option to change jobs without having to go to the bottom of "seniority". In white collar jobs, employees are constantly updating their resume, sending it out whenever an opportunity makes itself known. If a better offer comes along, they jump ship to greener pastures. This means that white collar employees tend to be paid higher than blue collar employees of comparable levels of responsibility. The employers have to compete on the basis of salary all the time, lest they lose their workforce.

There is only one option available to blue collar employees to ensure they have some bargaining position when it comes to their compensation. They can't send out resumes and attempt to get better terms of employment with another company doing the same line of work, the "system" isn't geared that way. They have to form an union and engage in collective bargaining to ensure they have the same levels of compensation as a white collar employee would have that possesses comparable levels of responsibility in their work. This is the ONLY option employees have that operate in a company (or career) that uses seniority as a method of ranking employees that perform identical job functions. This is why that old FedEx mantra of "there's the door, if you don't like your job, walk through it", is a red herring. There is no option for an employee that has made a career with FedEx. Once they made that choice, they're stuck. The option is to have a leveled playing field with FedEx, and taking away the RLA status from FedEx for non-aircraft related employees.

Excellent post. "Active deception" is an apt term for what FedEx engages in on a nationwide level. It is intentional, and it has worked for a long time. While I can understand why someone who has never held multiple positions doesn't understand some aspects of the operation (FDR's, for example), it's hard to fathom the general level of ignorance out there.

Some employees are just stupid, and soak up the misinformation like a sponge. These are the believers who think FedEx can do no wrong. Others have just given-in, and are waiting to leave as soon as the economy improves. You've mentioned a mass exodus before, and I think that's exactly what will happen within a few years, even if wages and benefits do improve in the event of unionization.

The original Federal Express was a great company, and many of us made career decisions based on how that organization conducted business. Unfortunately, Fred changed the rules in the middle of the game. Once you've got 15 or 20 years into a company it's hard to leave because you have so much invested in terms of seniority. Age is another factor. If I'd known what was to come I'd have left long ago, as would have many others.

TheChad1980

I think the only thing that is illegal is the fact that UPS is forcing its employees to write letters to their congressman. This is a lot lower than a company trying to educate their employees by holding meeting about the RLA. Any company that demands their employees to do something without educating them on the facts should suffer the consenquences. Fedex has asked all its employees to look at the facts and make a decision for themselves unlike UPS which has brainwashed their people into beliving what they wna them to and not allowing them to think for themselves

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I think the only thing that is illegal is the fact that UPS is forcing its employees to write letters to their congressman. This is a lot lower than a company trying to educate their employees by holding meeting about the RLA. Any company that demands their employees to do something without educating them on the facts should suffer the consenquences. Fedex has asked all its employees to look at the facts and make a decision for themselves unlike UPS which has brainwashed their people into beliving what they wna them to and not allowing them to think for themselves

Yes, Braniac. FedEx presented all the "facts" in a way that people like you would fully understand. Never mind that they were all incorrect and slanted to serve Fred's purposes. Never ask questions and accept the word of management without question....the mark of a true genius.