I'm a university undergraduate seeking to interview a current UPS deliveryman about all things UPS!

StoptheAct1212

When does the day start?"
Differnt start time, can range 845 to 910 depends on bolume

"How many packages do you deliver per day?" 1 to 500

"How do you pack the truck?"
Loader loads truck.
"Is there any UPS slang or UPS deliveryman vocabulary?" Our favorite slang.. option 3

"Do you have any special relationships with residents?" Yes, they order stuff, we bring it.

"What's the strangest thing that's happened to you while on the job?"
I got off by 3pm once...

cheryl

I started this.
Staff member
Hi all:

I'm a college journalism student. I want to interview a UPS deliveryman or deliverywoman for a journalism class. The article I write will not be published anywhere. It will be read only by the professor. I'll ask questions ranging from nuts-and-bolts to more personal experience questions. For example:

"When does the day start?"

"How many packages do you deliver per day?"

"Is there any UPS slang or UPS deliveryman vocabulary?"

"Do you have any special relationships with residents?"

Et cetera. If this interests you, I'd love to speak on the phone with you for 20 minutes max. If you are indeed interested, you can email me ::email address deleted:: and we can set up a time to do the phone interview. I wish I could reward you for your time, but for the class we must interview people who volunteered to speak with us.

Apologies to the moderators if this is not the right space to request this sort of thing.

Thank you for your time!
Just so we're clear: I do not know this person and suggest that anyone that decides to contact them make sure to protect their own personal privacy and proprietary UPS information.

rod

Retired 22 years
Hi all:

I'm a college journalism student. I want to interview a UPS deliveryman or deliverywoman for a journalism class. The article I write will not be published anywhere. It will be read only by the professor. I'll ask questions ranging from nuts-and-bolts to more personal experience questions. For example:

Et cetera. If this interests you, I'd love to speak on the phone with you for 20 minutes max. If you are indeed interested, you can email me ::email address deleted:: and we can set up a time to do the phone interview. I wish I could reward you for your time, but for the class we must interview people who volunteered to speak with us.

Apologies to the moderators if this is not the right space to request this sort of thing.

Thank you for your time!

Don't believe anything a UPS hourly employee tells you. They are all liars and thieves--according to their management team.

MC0493

Day normally starts around 855, but when i actually get started depends how long it takes me to get out of the building due to unforseen bs.

Number of packages depends on how hard management screws me on that particular day

Truck is packed with a shovel and or bulldozer most days.

UPS vocab? Every curse word in existence and then some.

Special relationships? Well the guy at subway knows my sandwich order by memory, so yea..

I got nothin for the last one cause strange :censored2: happens everyday.

Rewards? I like food...

Over disciplined0123

Day normally starts around 855, but when i actually get started depends how long it takes me to get out of the building due to unforseen bs.

Number of packages depends on how hard management screws me on that particular day

Truck is packed with a shovel and or bulldozer most days.

UPS vocab? Every curse word in existence and then some.

Special relationships? Well the guy at subway knows my sandwich order by memory, so yea..

I got nothin for the last one cause strange :censored2: happens everyday.

Rewards? I like food...
I was gonna write something g like that. lol.

Dr.Brownz

Day starts between 8am and 9am but again we don't leave the building till late somedays because the planes and semis don't get in on time (I am not in a big city, we are in the boonies mostly)

We deliver a ton of packages everyday. Not like what the UPS PR commercials show, our trucks are literally packed to the gills, stuff crammed everywhere. Atleast 9 hours of work is the average UPS day but alot of places are much worse. My truck had 150 packages, 62 stops, 240 miles today, just under 10 hours. I go to a small town walmart then drive rural highways the rest of the day. More miles means less packages usually.

Part time worker loads the truck for roughly a 1/3 of my wage. Horrible computer system tells them where to put the packages in the truck. Dispatcher programs the system, usually with lots of errors causing drivers to be delivering on the same streets and driving past each other.

Slang:

Bricked out = truck completely full, packages stacked like a brick wall.

Bulk stop = delivery with lots of packages, usually (hopefully) one to deliver early in the day to clear out the clutter in the truck

Resis = Residential Deliveries

NDA (old school slang is Reds (because of the red label))= Next Day Air, must be delivered before a "commit time". That time varies based on zip code some places it's 10:30am some it's 2pm.

Runner-Gunner : A driver who cuts corners, doing lots of unsafe things to get done fast. They write their own downfall because when UPS see's they are getting done an hour early everyday they decide "Hey jonny the runner can take 30 more deliveries!" and UPS piles on more work till these guys either get injured, have an accident or completely kill their work ethic. Typically UPS management will try to put a runner-gunner on an older drivers route with 20 extra stops and then tell the runner that is a normal stop count. The runner then kills themselves to get done in time and management goes back to the older driver and says "see how much faster jonny the runner does your route! work harder derrrrr" or instead of saying this to the drivers face they spy on the older driver for months on end trying to find where they are "stealing time" when really he is just old and doing the route at his pace.

I delivered cow seaman. Nothing else really strange, they are just boxes.

CoolStoryBro

Hi all:

Thank you for your time!

1. 8:55 AM Wake up at 6 AM

2 changes every day. Least I might deliver on a super rural route can be 150. Most on a business rout is usually about 400 packages. We have a couple bulk routes that go out in huge trucks and deliver 1000+ packages.

3. I don't pack the truck. I show up to work and the night shift already loaded the truck. If I packed it the load would be a lot better and my day would be more efficient but we already work 10 hours per day just delivering.

4. probably

5. I have minimal interactions with residents. We have too much work to do and a typical day is 10 hours of work.

6 cool story bro