I'M GOING TO FEEDERS

You will be low man on seniority number one. Most feeder work is night time hours, so you will have to adjust to that both at work and at home( sleep could become a issue if you have an active household). As mentioned before, different method of working than in package. Take your time as a new feeder driver as it will take a while to master things. I was making a quite a few errors in the first few months until a senior driver told me that his answer to the problem was to go over whatever you are doing 2-3 times to make sure you are not skipping a step or you didn't do it correctly. Example letting down the legs of a trailer when pulling away, or checking to see that your dolly is locked under the trailer properly. this all takes time well spent

olroadbeech

Happy Verified UPSer
Thank you....finally someone here answers my question. ..not just jokes
You are welcome. The jokes come because these questions have been asked so many times. You can use the search function and spend a month reading similar threads.

That is what I would do. You do have to read a lot of nonsense but there are some very good feeder drivers here that try to give good advice to new and old drivers alike. I worked feeder for over 20 years ( 35 years total as a CDL driver )and was always trying to learn something new. I have learned things from new feeder drivers also. Everyone can teach you something but you will find that the best teacher is experience.

I think the hardest thing for package drivers transitioning to feeders is the change of pace. In package it seems that you always have to hustle , watch the clock, and be held accountable for every minute.

In feeders, there are also the so called "time allowances" and you do have a schedule but they are very liberal and makeable if you just follow the methods and learn the routine. Routine is very important you will learn. Safety will be stressed ( or should be ) above all else. A 80,000 pound rig can wreck a lot of lives.

My trainer told me one thing that stuck with me. He said UPS drivers are some of the best trained drivers in the world and if you want to be the best you have to act professional and be the best every work day of your career. If you are going to be something, you may as well strive to be the best. Best advice I ever received.

I am very proud of my career at UPS. I have the service plaques, the safe driving plaques all framed and in my house for the children and the grandchildren to see. The only thing I did not accomplish was being a circle of honor driver. A couple fender benders in the yard prevented that. Also I am proud all the drivers I worked with over the years. We were considered the "Kings Of The Hill" meaning Donner Pass in California which can be quite treacherous in our long winters. We chained faster than anyone else and made it over the hill more safely than anyone and made service 99% of the time.

The jokesters here are fun but there are haters here. Just ignore them ( or use the ignore function ) and make up your own mind. Once you become qualified as a feeder driver you should read the excellent thread called "Ask a Feeder Driver....." It's near the top of the list . It is excellent for all feeder drivers, new and old to learn something from the pros.

Last edited:

Orion inc.

I like turtles
You are welcome. The jokes come because these questions have been asked so many times. You can use the search function and spend a month reading similar threads.

That is what I would do. You do have to read a lot of nonsense but there are some very good feeder drivers here that try to give good advice to new and old drivers alike. I worked feeder for over 20 years ( 35 years total as a CDL driver )and was always trying to learn something new. I have learned things from new feeder drivers also. Everyone can teach you something but you will find that the best teacher is experience.

I think the hardest thing for package drivers transitioning to feeders is the change of pace. In package it seems that you always have to hustle , watch the clock, and be held accountable for every minute.

In feeders, there are also the so called "time allowances" and you do have a schedule but they are very liberal and makeable if you just follow the methods and learn the routine. Routine is very important you will learn. Safety will be stressed ( or should be ) above all else. A 80,000 pound rig can wreck a lot of lives.

My trainer told me one thing that stuck with me. He said UPS drivers are some of the best trained drivers in the world and if you want to be the best you have to act professional and be the best every work day of your career. If you are going to be something, you may as well strive to be the best. Best advice I ever received.

I am very proud of my career at UPS. I have the service plaques, the safe driving plaques all framed and in my house for the children and the grandchildren to see. The only thing I did not accomplish was being a circle of honor driver. A couple fender benders in the yard prevented that. Also I am proud all the drivers I worked with over the years. We were considered the "Kings Of The Hill" meaning Donner Pass in California which can be quite treacherous in our long winters. We chained faster than anyone else and made it over the hill more safely than anyone and made service 99% of the time.

The jokesters here are fun but there are haters here. Just ignore them ( or use the ignore function ) and make up your own mind. Once you become qualified as a feeder driver you should read the excellent thread called "Ask a Feeder Driver....." It's near the top of the list . It is excellent for all feeder drivers, new and old to learn something from the pros.
The more you post, the more it is evident you never worked at ups ever. You've just been reading this forum for years and adapt others ups experiences as your own. You don't have one ups "plague " that you earned.

All your responses on ups discussions are very cookie cutter.

feeder05

you'll be fine, i was in packages for 14 years and have never regreted going in. Listen to your trainer. They may not have driven but they do get some of the best training around. To keep the weight off reduce the portions you eat and exercise when you can.
The best decision I ever made, had more family ttime with my kids when they were young

Darth Vapor 666

I am hatred, darkness, and despair
Th

Thank you very much. ......

DOK

With never touching a package again.......gladly......please go away

Slightly off topic but, thought the contract said feeder drivers can be used in the operation at a center or hub while waiting for their load to be finished. Does that happen often??
Good luck 666!! Id do it but not sure how I'd like the night work.

Darth Vapor 666

I am hatred, darkness, and despair
N
Slightly off topic but, thought the contract said feeder drivers can be used in the operation at a center or hub while waiting for their load to be finished. Does that happen often??
Good luck 666!! Id do it but not sure how I'd like the night work.
Thx man....not sure how often that happens where im going....but if I do have to touch a box...at least it's not bringing it to an ungrateful customers door

Richard Harrow

Deplorable.
OP, just curious what part of NJ you are in.

I am in a building in central NJ, I was called to feeders with 10 years FT (turned it down) a few years ago. Did you only put your name on the transfer list recently?

The last two drivers we had transfer into feeders ended up coming back.

Faceplanted

With never touching a package again.......gladly......please go away
Don't know how your hub is but at mine, it's far from that. We have cpu routes which have 300-500 packages some worse than other. The outlet mall routes are the worst, it's killer hot in the back of that feeder, 0 breeze and it's safe to say they were not designed to be unloaded in that manner. We have tons of feeder promotions all the time, most people end up doing cpu/coverage for the first 5 years. IMHO I would rather be in package than do some of those cpu routes.

You do only work hard for the first half of the day till about 2. After that is trailor swaps.