• always trying to be funny in the comments

Votes: 10 28.6%
  • actually come to BC to give legit advice

Votes: 17 48.6%
  • fedex employee

Votes: 6 17.1%

• Total voters

browl movement

the majority of people on this site, and really at work too, have been with the company for multiple years if not multiple decades. All these senior drivers have gotten so entitled that the idea of a new 22.4 driver taking some overtime makes them scared. Countless people ive talked to have complained about missing their kids grow up, pains in there bodies, divorce etc because of the long hours and yet you still want to claw on to the idea of 11 hour days. Im not a shill, but coming from pre load and working as a driver im very appreciative of the large pay bump. The fact that most of you are scared that many people that have 2 jobs, and can barely afford food are trying to become a 22.4 is sad. It balances the work load to not overwork a few people and balance it out more.
Im glad the bidlist in my center is filled up. That fear is driven by greed it seems. at 36 an hour making 75k if not more a year, how much more money do you actually need, because you're definitely not enjoying it out all day on the road. You're making more than many people with degrees and deliver packages with great benefits. Yeah its stressful sometimes but its not a skilled job, so many are blind about what they have and cant appreciate it. Get over yourself, you deliver shirts for a living at 36 an hour, and are keeping up with inflation. Ill now open it up for discussion of retired upsers, former angry employees, people who dont work even work here, and people with no social life to try and be funny in these comments. and also the upsers with a lot of seniority who have a lot of ups wisdom

The Driver

I drive.
You say you’re working as a driver. A full time driver?

I’m not scared of 22.4 drivers, I’m concerned that the company is trying to break the union and the union itself is complicit.

542thruNthru

Great another long "drivers are entitled" thread.

You're right drivers only want 22.4 gone because they want their over time. You nailed it. Can you now direct your amazing deductive reasoning skills to solving world hunger?

Been In Brown Too Long

Ex-Package Donkey
the majority of people on this site, and really at work too, have been with the company for multiple years if not multiple decades. All these senior drivers have gotten so entitled that the idea of a new 22.4 driver taking some overtime makes them scared. Countless people ive talked to have complained about missing their kids grow up, pains in there bodies, divorce etc because of the long hours and yet you still want to claw on to the idea of 11 hour days. Im not a shill, but coming from pre load and working as a driver im very appreciative of the large pay bump. The fact that most of you are scared that many people that have 2 jobs, and can barely afford food are trying to become a 22.4 is sad. It balances the work load to not overwork a few people and balance it out more.
Im glad the bidlist in my center is filled up. That fear is driven by greed it seems. at 36 an hour making 75k if not more a year, how much more money do you actually need, because you're definitely not enjoying it out all day on the road. You're making more than many people with degrees and deliver packages with great benefits. Yeah its stressful sometimes but its not a skilled job, so many are blind about what they have and cant appreciate it. Get over yourself, you deliver shirts for a living at 36 an hour, and are keeping up with inflation. Ill now open it up for discussion of retired upsers, former angry employees, people who dont work even work here, and people with no social life to try and be funny in these comments. and also the upsers with a lot of seniority who have a lot of ups wisdom
Nobody is afraid of the 22.4s themselves. The fight is that those driver positions are obviously needed to alleviate the massive amounts of overtime. The company should be creating them, BUT AT RPCD RATES, with the same 9.5 protection as well. You are in favor of creating a lower class driver, how exactly is that helping the current part timer working two jobs? They will be doing the same work, why don't they deserve the same pay?

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

You say you are not a shill, so I'll take your word for it. You sure are parroting their arguments though.

Some drivers enjoy making the extra money from OT, and, yes, they don't want to lose that possibility. They put in the time, and should have first crack at the extra work over noob 22.4's, because seniority. The people complaining about working over time, and this has been said over and over again, are complaining about forced excessive over time. Some would like 8 hours every day. Drivers are diverse, they are at different points in their careers, they have different goals. Imagine putting in the years, counting on the OT, then have it yanked away to be given to noobs at a much lower rate.

Most of us who oppose 22.4 do so because it is a poorly thought out job, devalues ground drivers' labor, they don't have the protections that ground drivers do, they'll work weekends for less money. We are not afraid of the job for our sake, we are trying to protect desperate part timers from being taken in by a scam.

If you really believe we just deliver shirts all day, then maybe you aren't actually affiliated with UPS afterall. Or you lied and you are a shill who is trying to downplay the difficulty of the job in a vain attempt to support your untenable position. How about you get over yourself? The other shills on here haven't been successful at changing anyone's mind, and you aren't even as good at shilling as they are.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
tenor (6).gif

browl movement

Nobody is afraid of the 22.4s themselves. The fight is that those driver positions are obviously needed to alleviate the massive amounts of overtime. The company should be creating them, BUT AT RPCD RATES, with the same 9.5 protection as well. You are in favor of creating a lower class driver, how exactly is that helping the current part timer working two jobs? They will be doing the same work, why don't they deserve the same pay?
Because an RPCD is guranteed 40 hours of driving work, theres not that much need. Thats why it makes sense to have it more of an as demand arises basis. It helps current part timeres because working 1 day driving roughly equates to about a week of preload.

They start at 20 an hour with a progression and will more than likely move into an RPCD role before they even make the full progression, so the trade off is a fair concession rather then the alternative of staying at pre load for 11-13 and waiting longer to get a foot in the door and making less money while waiting

WTFm8

You must have a bad BA that didn't explain the language, are very naive, or have an overly generous/nice manager.

It's a 2nd tier pay for identical work. There's no 8 or 9.5 hour protection, they'll work you like a dog having 11+hr days. They're going to shift workload from Mondays to be delivered Saturday and/or Sunday when that starts.

Many buildings have multiple RPCD laid off on Mondays due to volume issues as it is. The 22.4 launguage basically says 0 will be worked if there's a single RPCD laid off for the day... it's redundant language because there already isn't a reason for them on the days of layoffs.

All they need to do is add around 5% more routes to stop having such crazy volume.

They need to hire the correct people for the positions needing staffed. Many buildings are short staffed for preload or local sort.

How does it make financial sense to have RPCD or the 'new' 22.4 combo employees working those positions making $21-$54.30/hr (after OT) when they should just pay PT employees $15/hr to start instead of the $13 under the 'handshake' contract?

The preload and local-sort positions are pretty demanding/labor intensive preloading 3-5 trucks due to staffing, 3 people unloading essentially 2 semis and ~50 package cars for local sort, etc.

We have such bad staffing that the company is paying grievances for 3 supervisors working local sort along with 3 others AND the building manager shuttling miss loads. People just won't put up with the pay vs labor.

There's been a few days where missload count is in the 40ish range between the 35-40 routes that 2 shuttlers did 270 miles worth of driving combined.

Ask your BA if they got language added to your supplement for OT on 6th day punches as long as you had 17.5+ hrs that week to help your PT people out.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
You say you’re working as a driver. A full time driver?

I’m not scared of 22.4 drivers, I’m concerned that the company is trying to break the union and the union itself is complicit.

I don't think the union is complicit in busting itself, I think they are desperate to keep pensions from collapsing, and are being out-maneuvered by the company. I imagine that UPS is making all sorts of promises to the union if they help ram this contract through, with the goal of turning the members against the union for selling them out and ultimately causing the union to implode. It may take another contract to get there, though.

BigBrown87

If it’s brown, it’s going down
Because an RPCD is guranteed 40 hours of driving work, theres not that much need. Thats why it makes sense to have it more of an as demand arises basis. It helps current part timeres because working 1 day driving roughly equates to about a week of preload.

They start at 20 an hour with a progression and will more than likely move into an RPCD role before they even make the full progression, so the trade off is a fair concession rather then the alternative of staying at pre load for 11-13 and waiting longer to get a foot in the door and making less money while waiting
Did you read in the NMA where it says if work is available, you must have missed that part when you where reading that great 22.4 language. Please dont try pin this crappy langauge off on drivers being to scared or hypocritical over excessive overtime is childish liberal tactics and you know it. Come back when you can come to the table with some real meat and potatoes and stop hiding behind false pretenses.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star

If your supplement guarantees the 40 hours for rpcd, then that's true. The master says if work is available, while guaranteeing 40 for 22.4. With 22.4, you will not be more likely to become a rpcd, and could make the wait to become one even longer. The argument that 22.4 is a better deal for part timers than what they currently have is about the only one that I can't really refute. It's really up to them to decide that, but the hope is that they will realize it will not be a better deal in the long run.

542thruNthru

I like how drivers always seem to be the bad guys. These kids always want to blame us. Everyone here wants more FT jobs. There is plenty of work to make them. We stand up to demand 22.4 be paid the same as us and instead of being thanked we are called entitled.

If you want to be paid less for the same work then vote Yes.

browl movement

You say you are not a shill, so I'll take your word for it. You sure are parroting their arguments though.

Some drivers enjoy making the extra money from OT, and, yes, they don't want to lose that possibility. They put in the time, and should have first crack at the extra work over noob 22.4's, because seniority. The people complaining about working over time, and this has been said over and over again, are complaining about forced excessive over time. Some would like 8 hours every day. Drivers are diverse, they are at different points in their careers, they have different goals. Imagine putting in the years, counting on the OT, then have it yanked away to be given to noobs at a much lower rate.

Most of us who oppose 22.4 do so because it is a poorly thought out job, devalues ground drivers' labor, they don't have the protections that ground drivers do, they'll work weekends for less money. We are not afraid of the job for our sake, we are trying to protect desperate part timers from being taken in by a scam.

If you really believe we just deliver shirts all day, then maybe you aren't actually affiliated with UPS afterall. Or you lied and you are a shill who is trying to downplay the difficulty of the job in a vain attempt to support your untenable position. How about you get over yourself? The other shills on here haven't been successful at changing anyone's mind, and you aren't even as good at shilling as they are.
theyd be making less than a regular RPCD, but more than anything close to what theyd make in preload, I dont think its a scam, idk if youve ever worked pre load, but i can tell you that i would gladly take being overworked for 12 hours a day on a weekend at 20 an hour than waking up at 2am to make 11 an hour to load 4 trucks for 4 hours. im not a shill, im just from pre load, you might be a little disconnected as to what its like to make 11 an hour, but it sucks, especially to bruise your body for 11 an hour. 8 hours a day and no OT isnt bad. Ive worked those 11 hours days driving and thought you must be crazy to do this, but i value my time, health, and free time over OT. Obviously not just shirts all day, but moving 20, 30 pound boxes into the 2000 shelf from the slide is much harder than loading them in a dolly and moving them through freight elevators. the majority of packages arent over 30 pounds, im not saying its an easy job either, but some perspective on that from both sides would be healthy overall and thats what im aiming to say, im sure you dont beleive im not a shill, hell this isnt even the real account i use on here, i have another one, but im trying to blur who i am so my center wouldnt pin point who i am, maybe i feel driving is that much easier than pre load which is why i feel this way, but with organization and time management skills, i feel that delivering 20 pound boxes to doors is easier than loading a truck, and the pay increase to someone like myself who came from preload makes a world of difference, regardless of how it came from

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
I like how drivers always seem to be the bad guys. These kids always want to blame us. Everyone here wants more FT jobs. There is plenty of work to make them. We stand up to demand 22.4 be paid the same as us and instead of being thanked we are called entitled.

If you want to be paid less for the same work then vote Yes.

If this guy is a real ups employee, he must be a part timer who's just drooling over the chance to make $20/hr. Why lie and say you are a driver? Just be honest.

542thruNthru

If this guy is a real ups employee, he must be a part timer who's just drooling over the chance to make $20/hr. Why lie and say you are a driver? Just be honest.

He's preload and all he can see is FT $20 an hour. Honestly if that's what he wants then good for him.

zubenelgenubi

I'm a star
theyd be making less than a regular RPCD, but more than anything close to what theyd make in preload, I dont think its a scam, idk if youve ever worked pre load, but i can tell you that i would gladly take being overworked for 12 hours a day on a weekend at 20 an hour than waking up at 2am to make 11 an hour to load 4 trucks for 4 hours. im not a shill, im just from pre load, you might be a little disconnected as to what its like to make 11 an hour, but it sucks, especially to bruise your body for 11 an hour. 8 hours a day and no OT isnt bad. Ive worked those 11 hours days driving and thought you must be crazy to do this, but i value my time, health, and free time over OT. Obviously not just shirts all day, but moving 20, 30 pound boxes into the 2000 shelf from the slide is much harder than loading them in a dolly and moving them through freight elevators. the majority of packages arent over 30 pounds, im not saying its an easy job either, but some perspective on that from both sides would be healthy overall and thats what im aiming to say, im sure you dont beleive im not a shill, hell this isnt even the real account i use on here, i have another one, but im trying to blur who i am so my center wouldnt pin point who i am, maybe i feel driving is that much easier than pre load which is why i feel this way, but with organization and time management skills, i feel that delivering 20 pound boxes to doors is easier than loading a truck, and the pay increase to someone like myself who came from preload makes a world of difference, regardless of how it came from

The way you keep describing ground driving sure doesn't make it sound like you've ever done it. How long have you been on preload? I waited a long time to drive, and I had zero problem working another full time job to pay the bills while I waited.