Improper Use of Speedy Dry "On Topic"

Integrity

Binge Poster
To My Fellow UPS Workers,

It has been brought to the attention of Integrity that there has been frequent misuse of spill absorbent in some operations.

I have been informed that on many occasions spill absorbent was observed on the floor to apparently clean up some spill and it was just left there, as a result it was walked on, driven on and just pulverized into the floor. This is clearly misuse and improper
use of speed dry and improper spill clean up procedures.

Have you experienced this?

Thoughts or opinions?

The purpose of this discussion thread is not to gripe or complain about conditions at UPS, management, the Union or for that matter anything at all about UPS. The sole purpose of this discussion thread is to discuss the following work-related issue with other employees as an initial step in engaging in some concerted activity to bring this issue up to the company as a group.

It is my hope that by addressing this issue in concert we not only be working for our own mutual aid, protection and improved working conditions, but we will be working for the benefit of any and all coworkers that may have been adversely affected by this issue.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
As a responder for a short time, I can safely say that this concern is hardly background noise considering the myriad of other issues that concern the safety of UPS'ers.

FEGuy

If the spill contains a hazardous material, there are very specific procedures that should be followed as part of the DMP. Oil sorb can and should be used for certain types of spills, but should never be left on the ground, but cleaned up and disposed of following the DMP procedures. Having hazardous materials tracked through the facility is not a good practice. That is why these types of spills should only be cleaned up by a trained and current first responder following the DMP procedures.
Often times, and actually MOST times, the spill does not contain a hazardous substance, but just a messy or even annoying one. Again, oil sorb can be the correct method of dealing with this type of spill. Again, it should be cleaned up, and not tracked through the building. A non-hazardous spill can be cleaned up by ANY employee so instructed to do so, and often times are. While messy, at least they do not pose the health safety hazards posed by true hazardous materials. Of course there are the obvious risks, slippery floor, etc.
Lets face it, there is a lot of crap on the floors at UPS facilities.

Last edited:

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
It’s mostly used in my building when a driver fuels up at the end of the day and forgets to put the fuel cap on. There is a trail of diesel fuel from the pump to wherever he spots the package car. Very slippery floor until the absorbent is put down. I don’t know who gets it up, I assume it is a Porter when cleaning the floor.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
If the spill contains a hazardous material, there are very specific procedures that should be followed as part of the DMP. Oil sorb can and should be used for certain types of spills, but should never be left on the ground, but cleaned up and disposed of following the DMP procedures. Having hazardous materials tracked through the facility is not a good practice. That is why these types of spills should only be cleaned up by a trained and current first responder following the DMP procedures.
Often times, and actually MOST times, the spill does not contain a hazardous substance, but just a messy or even annoying one. Again, oil sorb can be the correct method of dealing with this type of spill. Again, it should be cleaned up, and not tracked through the building. A non-hazardous spill can be cleaned up by ANY employee so instructed to do so, and often times are. While messy, at least they do not pose the health safety hazards posed by true hazardous materials. Of course there are the obvious risks, slippery floor, etc.
Lets face it, there is a lot of crap on the floors at UPS facilities.
non-DMP leaks or spills can be containerized and put aside by supervisors, but not hourlies. That's the training I had. So if there's an obvious dish soap leaker on an outbound belt that didn't soil anything (only cardboard and contents), they can put it aside to keep the operation running. Of course this can, has, and will open up other cans of worms including sups placing leakers onto belts and creating spills.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Improper spill clean up is not a serious safety concern?

I think it is very serious.
You are talking about remnants of spills where there is a small amount (trace) of speedy dry left over AND it's not soiled, only dusty? Or spills with speedy dry left over them, still wet and not cleaned up?

Integrity

Binge Poster
You are talking about remnants of spills where there is a small amount (trace) of speedy dry left over AND it's not soiled, only dusty? Or spills with speedy dry left over them, still wet and not cleaned up?
There should be no residue from a properly cleaned up spill but, I believe the situation reported involved the speedy dry being put down was the only thing done in response to the spill.

UnconTROLLed

perfection
Nope, only serious if a hazardous material. Otherwise, just annoying. And messy.
What integrity is missing is that there is a threshold for effects to become serious enough for first-aid attention. You'd need to empty several bags of speedy dry and inhale it intentionally, or roll around in it, for anything to come of it. The typical "dust" or particles is not even close to worthy of attention unless the air is absolutely saturated

Integrity

Binge Poster
You're missing the point and splitting hairs, either the spill was absorbed or not. Sometimes it is simply impossible to get every bit of speedy dry.
Standards of clean up and instruction for correct use and handling of speedy dry are clear.

Impossible, I don't agree.

Integrity

Binge Poster
What integrity is missing is that there is a threshold for effects to become serious enough for first-aid attention. You'd need to empty several bags of speedy dry and inhale it intentionally, or roll around in it, for anything to come of it. The typical "dust" or particles is not even close to worthy of attention unless the air is absolutely saturated
Are you saying that you don't have to follow safe use and handling instructions of spill clean up material?