Investments, 401K, Etc (on topic)

oldngray

nowhere special
Some high income earners would not be eligible to have a ROTH IRA., So the Roth 401k is a big advantage for them

The two reasons I have my money in the Roth IRA is
1) many more investment choice

2) if you have Roth money in your 401k you have to take a RMD at 70 1/2
For some people in their situations a traditional IRA would be the way to go. Roth is mostly set up for 401k's anyway.

IRA was great when they first came out but got neutered because the government felt they were losing too much tax money. The incentives to save were working too well.
They are too worried about getting they tax money now. They need to find a way to encourage people to save for retirement. Most people do not have pensions anymore and social security is way under funded.

MattM

From +18% to -36% within a month

Times are great. I’m glad I only did $25/week for the past 6-7 years.
It’s not make or break at the moment.
I feel for those that did max 35% of a $1000 pay check. They’re down the same 33+% but at a much worse level.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.

I feel for those that did max 35% of a $1000 pay check. They’re down the same 33+% but at a much worse level.
Yet they still have way more money in their 401k than you. Smh

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns

Depends on the person's age, no?

Rack em

Made the Podium
I would argue that the vast majority of 401k investors are buy and hold. They pick 3-4 investment categories and let it ride.
Pretty much what I do, but I'll look every quarter and see how things are going and I might move some stuff around if one category hasn't been doing well.