Porknado

Former oilfield worker here as well. That job can make package car seem like light duty, at times. I’m coming into this in my 40’s as well, but my goal is feeders in 5-6 years, if the cards are right.

Sissy Brown Short Shorts

I'd hate to know I started at the bottom at 48 in package. Might just jump off a bridge instead with the way things are now at ups.
This job makes you stress age like presidents do from years one to eight. I’ve never asked around the old timers to see how they feel, I’ve always been curious when is a good time to get out. Take your 20 early and start a second career, or do 30 and bail and hope the pension is there. Seems like most guys need to cover their asses from mid 50s to 67 when social security and Medicare kicks in. I started as early as possible, 21 so I could retire early and have plenty of time to save and rehab my body, but would have no idea what to do with myself.

UPSER1987

don't listen to people saying you are too old. I am 46yo now unloading trucks and that's all I want to do. I like dishing out the punishment! :-) I can completely dictate when I leave for the day. I work my butt off, to get the work done, so I can leave.

I have a full-time job and work at UPS for the spare change and the full-time benefits.

I am also the one of best unloader at my location with a PPH of 1575. I kick these little 18-25yo punks butts, they whine, complain, take frequent breaks, throw up, give up, quit...etc.. and I am old enough to be there daddy!

So don't listen to anyone, when they tell you are too old at 48.
That’s cool and I applaud you. You, unfortunately, are the exception. There are so many softies at UPS now it’s a joke. Injuries, heat exhaustion, too much work etc etc. Fake tough guys- whiny babies.

quad decade guy

This job makes you stress age like presidents do from years one to eight. I’ve never asked around the old timers to see how they feel, I’ve always been curious when is a good time to get out. Take your 20 early and start a second career, or do 30 and bail and hope the pension is there. Seems like most guys need to cover their asses from mid 50s to 67 when social security and Medicare kicks in. I started as early as possible, 21 so I could retire early and have plenty of time to save and rehab my body, but would have no idea what to do with myself.
Actually 18. It is possible.

the_Dark_Knight

I'm healthy, active, and would want to work until 67. I'm in the interview process now, and keeping an eye on the strike. Any comments?
maybe not, I've known 'oldsters' start a second career at USPS ('40ish') and FedEx (65).Unless the job has a job position performance physical restriction like a.) lifting 70lbs, or standing 8 hours, etc.) it shouldn't be an issue.

Zowert

Oh I don’t know. You’ll be fine for a while I suppose. I’m 34 and my knees are already killing me. Stepping in and out of that package car 200 times a day, even with three points of contact, is hard on the knees.