Is buying water at a truck stop "time theft"?

Staydryitsraining

If you're doing anything more than using the restroom code it out. If you're buying water, chips, hotdogs, or whatever and you don't code that time as break you can be fired and it will stick. In my last year at work I saw a 30-year feeder driver fired for this exact issue and he lost at panel, last I heard he was driving a school bus.
Why if he had 30 years?

eats packages

Deranged lunatic
I got caught without enough water a few times. diad message, buy only water bottles, done.
Our state requires breaks every 2 hours in high heat conditions regardless. No "bargaining unit" exemption either like the previous labor laws that were also passed.
According to it, if temperatures reach 115 degrees, you'd be on some form of paid or unpaid break for half of your entire shift.

Last edited:

Almost

I've watched it go from common sense "don't abuse it, but we understand" to "It's stealing time".
i.e. it's just like buying a quick cup of coffee.
Some drivers take advantage and then management is forced to crack down on everyone.

With the new time constraints rolling out we might see an increase in things like this.

TearsInRain

IE boogeyman
Are you saying....stealing time is now accepted do to lack of staffing? If so, how about playing slot machines? Lot lizards? How about buying a scratch off lottery ticket?
everything is accepted if your supervisor doesn't care, that's the definition of accepted

*your supervisors definition may vary

quad decade guy

If you're buying a hot dog to eat for lunch, it should really be no question that you're punching out for it because you're about to eat lunch. But by making the inference that you're stopping to buy a hot dog but not taking lunch implies that you plan on eating that hot dog while driving.
Oh?

I didn't infer such at all.

To wit: Lot's of folks bring sack lunches, coolers, backpacks and all manner of stuff to work. Phones, headsets whatever.

Now, these folks bringing "lunches".....are they all "inferring" to eating while driving? And let's discuss the difference between eating skittles going down the road and taking a drink of water. Can you change stations on the company supplied radio while driving and why not your phone? How about answering a phone call on the company supplied radio? Bluetooth....

Leave the "inferring" out of it. Is buying anything "off the clock".......stealing? Yes or no. "inferring" is just nebulous gray.

quad decade guy

he caused a late load on the wrong day to the wrong sort or management really hated him for other things
No doubt, he was being "watched".

A lot of these guys don't realize or like so many on BC think they are invulnerable......their movements are being tracked by programs and God knows what. Many 30 year guys and Union tough guys are habitual in their routines....."so-called standing up for myself"....it just takes a little "surveillance" and they are literally caught in the act. Now, the surveillance is in cab.....

Some have said that they would NEVER punch out to buy a cup of coffee.......and I guess bet their careers on it.

sailfish

Master of Karate and Friendship for Everyone
Oh?

I didn't infer such at all.

To wit: Lot's of folks bring sack lunches, coolers, backpacks and all manner of stuff to work. Phones, headsets whatever.

Now, these folks bringing "lunches".....are they all "inferring" to eating while driving? And let's discuss the difference between eating skittles going down the road and taking a drink of water. Can you change stations on the company supplied radio while driving and why not your phone? How about answering a phone call on the company supplied radio? Bluetooth....

Leave the "inferring" out of it. Is buying anything "off the clock".......stealing? Yes or no. "inferring" is just nebulous gray.
Oh good God. I guess if you want to save a cold, soggy hot dog until later, knock yourself right out.

I'm going to assume you meant "on the clock" not off. So in my opinion, no. :censored2: them. And from what I've heard and read on here, they don't let you manually insert lunch times with a little bit here and there anymore anyway. So how are you going to do a petty little two minute transaction if the board locks you into a full blown break? They've stepped on their own feet with that one.

DriveInDriveOut

Inordinately Right
If you're buying a hot dog to eat for lunch, it should really be no question that you're punching out for it because you're about to eat lunch. But by making the inference that you're stopping to buy a hot dog but not taking lunch implies that you plan on eating that hot dog while driving.
Bro if you can't inhale a truck stop hot dog or four while driving down the road you're not cut out for feeders.

vvv

You don’t seem to work for UPS anymore. Most buildings, departments, and shifts are short handed. No one is getting fired for buying a hot dog and chips while they fuel up. They don’t have enough employees as is, especially feeder drivers.
I simply can't believe what I read here from long time veterans buddy. Shaking my head.

vvv

Well, it doesn't matter....right? stealing is stealing......right? I'm trying to define how water would be treated as it is necessary. Should we punch out to buy it if we need it and we must be allowed to drink water/hydrate.
Dude!! This company has told EVERYONE a MILLION TIMES or more to STAY HYDRATED!!
Therefore they are DIRECTING you as part of your JOB to drink plenty of fluids, mainly water...and stay hydrated.
And if you run out of water and need to stop and buy more THAT IS PART OF THE JOB!!

And guess what...what happens when you drink a lot water? YESSS....you need to stop and take pee pee breaks whenever needed.
And guess what....because you were directed to drink plenty of water going pee pee is a direct result of that job order.....so you DO NOT need to punch out for that either!!

I have read many of your posts over time but never comment on them, but I guess now is the time.
You speak SO MUCH about being the victim of bullying on here.
I find it clearly obvious that you bring it upon yourself.
If a long time veteran is worried about or is getting bullied for water breaks whether it's the act of buying or drinking it, then it is on you for being a company punching bag and allowing it to happen for so long that they can even think of broaching that subject with you.

Her is a perfect example of how "I" operate.....maybe you can learn something.
Years ago I had an 8 hour request in. Clowns in shop decided to over grease my back door and rails on a relatively newer truck. Junk was getting on the boxes on top shelf if they rubbed on rails or door going up and down.

So when I finished my route I stayed on my area and ON THE CLOCK and went into Auto Zone and bought a can of degreaser along with 2 rolls of those nice blue shop towels and proceeded to clean the back door til it was perfectly white again, and wiped clean all the rails from the bottom to where it loops over your head to remove all the goop...and any any crevice I deemed had too much buildup. And I did it for TWO HOURS-ON THE CLOCK-AND NOBODY SAID A PEEP.
If you're doing anything more than using the restroom code it out. If you're buying water, chips, hotdogs, or whatever and you don't code that time as break you can be fired and it will stick. In my last year at work I saw a 30-year feeder driver fired for this exact issue and he lost at panel, last I heard he was driving a school bus.

If you or anybody you know let someone get fired over getting water that's a damn simple shame and extremely weak. Especially when it's in the records that you are directed to.
Judging from many posts on here over time I just can't get a grasp of how many pushover and play dead locals there are around the country supposedly representing us. (although definitely not where I am at)
I don't blame the company at all for what they do and abuse people and contracts. We simply allow them to get away with too much and don't have nearly enough members with any semblance of guts to take a stand.

To the weak.....enjoy sleeping in that rock hard bed that you made for yourself.
Mine is soft n cushy.....just the way I like it.

vvv

I’m on UPS’s side about this

No , you can’t just stop at gas station and buy water on the clock.

Come to work prepared like a big boy

( or deliver the stop while you buy stuff 😎✊)

🧔‍♂️✊
MECH.....love ya buddy.....but I wish there was a "poop" symbol to toss on this one.
If I need a drink and have run out I am stopping and not coding.

vvv

Get away with?

Seriously, I try to do the right and best job I can do. I sleep at night because of it. I've had a long and relatively uneventful career because of my work ethic. I don't try to "get away with" anything.

Yeah seriously. Jesus Christ didn't have anything to do with it.

This is bullying.
That is FAR FAR AWAY from bullying buddy. Please stop the victim act as it's grown old and tiresome.

quad decade guy

Dude!! This company has told EVERYONE a MILLION TIMES or more to STAY HYDRATED!!
Therefore they are DIRECTING you as part of your JOB to drink plenty of fluids, mainly water...and stay hydrated.
And if you run out of water and need to stop and buy more THAT IS PART OF THE JOB!!

And guess what...what happens when you drink a lot water? YESSS....you need to stop and take pee pee breaks whenever needed.
And guess what....because you were directed to drink plenty of water going pee pee is a direct result of that job order.....so you DO NOT need to punch out for that either!!

I have read many of your posts over time but never comment on them, but I guess now is the time.
You speak SO MUCH about being the victim of bullying on here.
I find it clearly obvious that you bring it upon yourself.
If a long time veteran is worried about or is getting bullied for water breaks whether it's the act of buying or drinking it, then it is on you for being a company punching bag and allowing it to happen for so long that they can even think of broaching that subject with you.

Her is a perfect example of how "I" operate.....maybe you can learn something.
Years ago I had an 8 hour request in. Clowns in shop decided to over grease my back door and rails on a relatively newer truck. Junk was getting on the boxes on top shelf if they rubbed on rails or door going up and down.

So when I finished my route I stayed on my area and ON THE CLOCK and went into Auto Zone and bought a can of degreaser along with 2 rolls of those nice blue shop towels and proceeded to clean the back door til it was perfectly white again, and wiped clean all the rails from the bottom to where it loops over your head to remove all the goop...and any any crevice I deemed had too much buildup. And I did it for TWO HOURS-ON THE CLOCK-AND NOBODY SAID A PEEP.

If you or anybody you know let someone get fired over getting water that's a damn simple shame and extremely weak. Especially when it's in the records that you are directed to.
Judging from many posts on here over time I just can't get a grasp of how many pushover and play dead locals there are around the country supposedly representing us. (although definitely not where I am at)
I don't blame the company at all for what they do and abuse people and contracts. We simply allow them to get away with too much and don't have nearly enough members with any semblance of guts to take a stand.

To the weak.....enjoy sleeping in that rock hard bed that you made for yourself.
Mine is soft n cushy.....just the way I like it.
Personal attack and bullying