Is Doing Ups Delivery Driving Worth The Money ?

brett636

The money is good, but depending on where you go to work it can take anywhere from 5-10 years to get into a driving position, and even after that you will be at the bottom of the seniority list leaving you just as the fill in driver which could also last a couple years at least. Also if you aren't good at managing stress its not the job for you. Some will say if you love your family you won't want the job either because it takes a lot from your typical family hours. Despite all that the money and benefits (paid vacation, paid health insurance, pension plan, etc.) are top notch.

nystripe96

The job is not stressful unless you bring attention to yourself. The job itself is easy once you learn the different routes however, the physical aspects of it can really wear you down. The top rate in my local will be 36.20 plus the 7-10 hrs OT I average/week. Do the math it's good money if you're young & are very patient. You may stay PT for quite some time before you get a shot

Wally

BrownCafe Innovator & King of Puns
Lots of action if you want it. As a split driver, you are all over the center on different routes, each of them filled with young females! YOU CAN'T MISS!

ManInBrown

If one can physically and mentally handle the job, it's absolutely worth the money. But you'll never see your family during the week. If you can handle that trade off, GL to you.

Rainman

Its all good.
What other options are you considering, what are your priorities in life? If free time and family time are tops, don't do it. If you are willing to give up your free time and some of your family time in order to provide a better life for your family, then stick around and ask more specific questions.

hellfire

no one considers UPS people."real" Teamsters.-BUG
You will give up your family, personal life, and hobbies, anything that makes you happy. You will be so tired on the weekends that getting off the couch and doing the things you used to enjoy will be a distant memory and your family/friends will resent you for it. After 20 yrs, then 30, your body will be a crippled pathetic memory of what you were, and you will retire disabled... Enjoy!

box_beeyotch

Good money and great job if you're young and single. You're moving all day, but the money makes it worth it to me. I'd much rather do this then sit a desk all day wearing a suit with a thumb up my butt and have to go right home to a whiney kid and even whinier wife.

JL 0513

You will give up your family, personal life, and hobbies, anything that makes you happy. You will be so tired on the weekends that getting off the couch and doing the things you used to enjoy will be a distant memory and your family/friends will resent you for it. After 20 yrs, then 30, your body will be a crippled pathetic memory of what you were, and you will retire disabled... Enjoy!

Other than that, it's great!

brownmonster

Man of Great Wisdom
In my case not even close to accurate.

Re-Raise

This could not be further from my reality. I'll have 30 in this spring.

Grey

Swing driving sucks especially when you have low seniority but the sooner you get started the sooner you'll build your way up the list. It's stressful but worth it.

TooTechie

Geek in Brown
The issue isn't whether or not the work is worth the money. It's whether you're a part timer who has put in your years of part time work to earn the job, or if you can manage to get them to hire you off the street (somewhat rare).