Is it mandated that you work no matter how bad the weather?

IESucks

2 questions here

The last 2-3x we had a winter storm our PT supe group was alerted by text from our direct report that our building was open and that its mandated that we come in to work no matter how bad the weather.

Also when our building is closed for bad weather we're told its mandatory to report to the nearest building that's still open, which is maybe 10-15 minutes away from current building while the hourly folks do not have to work.

Now we have one annoyed supervisor that wants proof of this mandate that we have to come in during bad weather and that we have to go to another building even when ours closes and the hourlies don't have to work. People are tired of hearing UPS promoting safety yet not caring when it comes to very bad weather, not being able to make it in and getting written up or talked to about it.

When some employees say they may not make it, the direct report just tells us how he made it with no problem at all because the highways weren't bad and acts as if because he made it, everyone else should. He forgets there are back roads that may not be plowed, people with cars that aren't great in the snow.

I have a 4x4 so I always make it in during bad weather...its just the couple folks that will question our being open in the group text message.

So are these 2 issues legit and mandated/mandatory?
You're management, we don't care

bumped

2 questions here

The last 2-3x we had a winter storm our PT supe group was alerted by text from our direct report that our building was open and that its mandated that we come in to work no matter how bad the weather.

Also when our building is closed for bad weather we're told its mandatory to report to the nearest building that's still open, which is maybe 10-15 minutes away from current building while the hourly folks do not have to work.

Now we have one annoyed supervisor that wants proof of this mandate that we have to come in during bad weather and that we have to go to another building even when ours closes and the hourlies don't have to work. People are tired of hearing UPS promoting safety yet not caring when it comes to very bad weather, not being able to make it in and getting written up or talked to about it.

When some employees say they may not make it, the direct report just tells us how he made it with no problem at all because the highways weren't bad and acts as if because he made it, everyone else should. He forgets there are back roads that may not be plowed, people with cars that aren't great in the snow.

I have a 4x4 so I always make it in during bad weather...its just the couple folks that will question our being open in the group text message.

This is all part of that "promotion" you got. Show up for work and do as your told.

Heavy Package

You're a PT sup. Go read whatever is on your clipboard like a good little minion and pretend like UPS cares about you or your safety. Do you finally realize the disconnect? Wonder why we all laugh at you as you whine and complain on this forum on one hand and then want to make us sign all of your meaningless paperwork on the other?

If it's not safe then why the hell would a reasonable company with reasonable management expect or even want its workforce out on the public roads? See the issue we have with this place now? Expectations and blowhard talk do not match. Practice what you preach.

Observer

When a polar vortex hits and everyone sees numerous massive pile ups on the highways it's time to take a break. When a person gets frostbite it's for life. In our major city - none of the secondary roads were plowed. So it was an awful mess. When they state on the weather that only necessary personnel be out, heed the warning. It's too bad that management has such low regards for workers.

Yolo

If you honestly can't make it to work then just call off. They aren't going to fire you for calling off once. Its easier for them to keep you around then to have to trick some 19 year old unloader into doing your job.

PT Car Washer

If you honestly can't make it to work then just call off. They aren't going to fire you for calling off once. Its easier for them to keep you around then to have to trick some 19 year old unloader into doing your job.
You will not be fired but it could look bad on your evaluation reports and raises and possible promotion to FT sup. So they will tell you.

silenze

Lunch is the best part of the day
PP0qO0B_d.jpg

rod

Retired 22 years
Anyone remember the older generation staying home because of the weather?

No-------we weren't allowed to. I do remember my Mother driving me one time on my paper route back in 4th grade because it was 20 below. But that was only because she happened to have that day off work.

The dark side

2 questions here

If your DM says you have to come, you come. At my hub it was negative -50 last month. My FT supe said if your car doesn’t start call an Uber be ready to come. Luckily my BRZ started both days it was -50. Wore layers I was fine. Our other supes were not as willing. I had to be the tac supe and a dock supe at the same time. Only brought in 16 people on a plan of 48.