It’s coming...

Gone fishin

My scenario is management keeps pushing more P2 to Ground especially on these rural routes , if the volume gets to great they can borrow from Freight, they have been doing this already this also keeps the contractors from getting to demanding.
I hope not. The customers aren’t going to take too much more from grounds incompetence. I get at least 1 to 2 complaints a day. It gets old for both the customer and myself

Aquaman

Exactly. This will "work" in some major metropolitan markets. The rest of the country will be business as usual.

Still haven't answered the question of what happens when the plane is an hour late and those P1 rtes are clearing at Noon instead of 10:31, thereby not being able to hand off these imaginary vehicles to the FTs.
You guys make perfect sense.. you won’t get an argument from me... but this is FedEx. Seriously do not assume your station is going to be business as usual. They ARE changing the courier model.

Aquaman

You apparently don't work in such an area. If you've got 15 routes, and only 3 are in town, everything else runs 200-300 miles a day, or more, you don't send the part timers out then the fulltime later. Fulltimers will start early, run all day. In bigger cities where more rts are in town you'll see the early part-time thing, but extended rts will still run all day with one courier. Part-timers aren't going to run to spread out areas 70+ miles from the station, do P1, then run back to hand off vans to FTers who'll then drive out into same areas for P2 and pickups.
You’re right. It’s not going to work.. and they’ll do it anyway. You think they won’t make a part timer leave an extended area to send another driver to the same area? Watch them...

AB831

For a college boy, he is totally clueless to how business works. The stock has gone up roughly $180 since February and he still thinks the company is gonna fail.
Oh, a worldwide pandemic that shut down businesses everywhere in the world, leading to an unprecedented reliance on shipping companies was part of Fat Freddy's strategy?

AB831

Exactly. This will "work" in some major metropolitan markets. The rest of the country will be business as usual.

Still haven't answered the question of what happens when the plane is an hour late and those P1 rtes are clearing at Noon instead of 10:31, thereby not being able to hand off these imaginary vehicles to the FTs.
I think you mean "when the plane is an hour late EACH DAY".

falcon back

You can thank Covid for the stock price.
You must make the best out of a bad situation. No layoffs other than early on furloughs and the company, its employees and the shareholders made plenty of money. Meanwhile other industries have lost employees and money.

abused.crr

Well. we tried to tell them that the days of Eedex being a high stature, high quality employer were coming to an end. trouble is it's coming to an end with a suddenness and a degree of shock and awe nobody could have predicted.

Where once the wearing of an Express uniform came with a certain level of pride and honor, it has now become a symbol of embarrassment given the degree to which that company has fallen.

Then again, it's a nonunion company. They can and will do whatever they damn well please and they can made life for letter luggers even worse and if done so in the name of profit , they'll do it and not think a thing about it.
I’ve been out of express for about 3 1/2 years. I still lurk here on occasion because I have a lot of good friends that still wear the uniform and drink the kool aid. I talk to these guys on a regular basis and get the updated :censored2: show news.
Working for fedex is like a being a dog that gets beat and abused but it never runs away because it gets fed by its abusing owner. Then one day the dog runs away and finds a new home. And the new family feeds it and loves it and is thankful to have it! That’s what leaving Fedex feels like! If I could do it after 22 years, so can you! Pkg handler, dg, team lead, csa, swing Crr, and I ended as an RTD. Get your CDLs!

Aquaman

I’ve been out of express for about 3 1/2 years. I still lurk here on occasion because I have a lot of good friends that still wear the uniform and drink the kool aid. I talk to these guys on a regular basis and get the updated * show news.
Working for fedex is like a being a dog that gets beat and abused but it never runs away because it gets fed by its abusing owner. Then one day the dog runs away and finds a new home. And the new family feeds it and loves it and is thankful to have it! That’s what leaving Fedex feels like! If I could do it after 22 years, so can you! Pkg handler, dg, team lead, csa, swing Crr, and I ended as an RTD. Get your CDLs!
A LOT of high seniority couriers are fleeing to RTD positions to hopefully hop into a day route & stay full time. Things get sketchy when you have 25 years in at a company with no transferable skill. At least with a CDL you have an out if need be, and could even go up in pay. Couriers are faced with delivering pizzas or slaving away on the UPS sort for 10 years waiting for a similar driver position.

vantexan

You’re right. It’s not going to work.. and they’ll do it anyway. You think they won’t make a part timer leave an extended area to send another driver to the same area? Watch them...
I've worked in those areas. The whole point of doing all of this is profit. FedEx isn't going to use two guys to do what one can do. Too much inefficiency with driving long distances to hand off truck. Too much fuel burned. First P1 stop 30 miles from station. Last P1 stop 60 miles. Bypassing P2 in 1630 commit areas to just do P1 then return. Too much stem time. Even ops mgrs get why that's unprofitable. Also those outlying small stations often have much earlier cutoff times and return to station earlier than big city stations that are near ramps. Fulltimers don't normally stay out late, they have to get back so truck can pull at 7 p.m. or whatever local pull time is.

Last edited:

MassWineGuy

My senior manager told me that although some things will probably change, who knows when? The track record of FX rolling out new stuff on time is dismal. Look at the Leo rollout. Ironic, no?

On a separate point, as a pm courier I’d be glad to give some early-ready pickups to the day side.

Aquaman

My senior manager told me that although some things will probably change, who knows when? The track record of FX rolling out new stuff on time is dismal. Look at the Leo rollout. Ironic, no?

On a separate point, as a pm courier I’d be glad to give some early-ready pickups to the day side.
A lot of managers are playing dumb right now. We’re about to have the biggest peak season in company history. Nobody, especially a senior manager is going to want to tip you off to bad news before peak.

MassWineGuy

Right. I know. She didn’t deny that the changes were coming. Just who knows when? And that part timers will always be needed. I’d rather keep to a pm shift. But if not, I’ll live.