It’s coming...

Aquaman

I've worked in those areas. The whole point of doing all of this is profit. FedEx isn't going to use two guys to do what one can do. Too much inefficiency with driving long distances to hand off truck. Too much fuel burned. First P1 stop 30 miles from station. Last P1 stop 60 miles. Bypassing P2 in 1630 commit areas to just do P1 then return. Too much stem time. Even ops mgrs get why that's unprofitable. Also those outlying small stations often have much earlier cutoff times and return to station earlier than big city stations that are near ramps. Fulltimers don't normally stay out late, they have to get back so truck can pull at 7 p.m. or whatever local pull time is.
Okay man. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. By summer next year there are going to be thousands of couriers with great routes & schedules looking for new jobs. Don’t be surprised if certain stations like the ones you’re talking about aren’t just closed down.

MassWineGuy

I know it’s been brought up, but I don’t see a realistic scenario where Ground will succeed in taking on all the extra volume. The Ground drivers I see are already pushed to the wall. And customers will revolt (read: Switch to UPS) once the new system begins to implode.

vantexan

Okay man. Don’t say I didn’t warn you. By summer next year there are going to be thousands of couriers with great routes & schedules looking for new jobs. Don’t be surprised if certain stations like the ones you’re talking about aren’t just closed down.
If they close down how in your estimation will Express freight be delivered?

bacha29

" What A Fool Believes".....The Doobie Brothers.

btrlov

i heard something like this, but slightly different. That some stations will absorb part timers into full time positions. I know in UPS, Fulltimers are required to be created by contract , but management target those employees asking them do they wanna go home early.- whenever the sort is overstaffed dictated by volume. Another words, you are fulltime but effectively or perhaps constructively part time in practice. depending on operational needs. I dont know if fedex can do this with commitment times

CatMan

Right. I know. She didn’t deny that the changes were coming. Just who knows when? And that part timers will always be needed. I’d rather keep to a pm shift. But if not, I’ll live.
ONE of the most important elements of working for FedEx is, there will be hours for you and there will be positions for you, all you need to do is adjust and "find your niche"...But never forget that operational needs is the rule of law. Period.

vantexan

The Ground guy and I got a chuckle out of this while we were each picking up a handful of boxes from the same customer.
Yah, but totally different from two Express guys working the same long distance Express rt. Just curious, can you do your Express route and the local Ground guy's route too every day? Been my experience that they always have me plenty to do with no time to take on all the bulk in the big Ground truck. I get a chuckle thinking about even trying to get through a day with the routes combined.

Aquaman

Yah, but totally different from two Express guys working the same long distance Express rt. Just curious, can you do your Express route and the local Ground guy's route too every day? Been my experience that they always have me plenty to do with no time to take on all the bulk in the big Ground truck. I get a chuckle thinking about even trying to get through a day with the routes combined.
It’s going to affect your station. You’re not going to be getting P1 & P2 at the beginning of the day anymore. The tractor trailers that bring your freight will show up with P1... then later in the morning show up with P2. The company is going to 2 sorts. 100% that is happening. However your station decides to deal with that is probably up to them. But I doubt they’re gonna sort P1 and wait to send you out until the P2 comes in. All the P1 would be late by then. And with no P2 on a truck... there’s no need to keep the route full time.

Gone fishin

It’s going to affect your station. You’re not going to be getting P1 & P2 at the beginning of the day anymore. The tractor trailers that bring your freight will show up with P1... then later in the morning show up with P2. The company is going to 2 sorts. 100% that is happening. However your station decides to deal with that is probably up to them. But I doubt they’re gonna sort P1 and wait to send you out until the P2 comes in. All the P1 would be late by then. And with no P2 on a truck... there’s no need to keep the route full time.
We take p1 and p2. We then have some close rts come back to the station and pick up the second sort. There will be 2 shuttle rts to take the further rts their freight. We have a smaller station , but that’s how it’s working here

vantexan

I'm retired. Just speaking from experience. FedEx can route outlying freight to a station for the early morning sort whether P1 or P2. It's certainly feasible that they'll have part-timers working early, then driving back in 10-15 minutes to hand off trucks in large metro areas with a big city surrounded by suburbs. They aren't going to have a PT courier go way out in rural areas, then drive almost an hour, maybe more, to hand off to a FTer, who'll go back out into an area with few pickups and some of his P2 already diverted to Ground. If you are running a business would you do that? Would you hire a bunch of PTers so that you could lose even more money on rural routes? If some P2 is already diverted to Ground that FTer is going to have less to do anyways and get in earlier. They may even have him deliver some P1 freight on his way out to his area to help make service in the city. Believe it or not FedEx isn't going to cut off its nose to spite its face.

zeev

It’s going to Ground first P2 than P1 eventually absorbing small rural stations into Ground the systems of air and ground will stay in place and the LMO will do just that deliver everything.

Gone fishin

It’s going to Ground first P2 than P1 eventually absorbing small rural stations into Ground the systems of air and ground will stay in place and the LMO will do just that deliver everything.
Hopefully ground goes to express so Fedx can become reputable again. Ground is making Fedx look ridiculous

vantexan

So basically you think Express employees will do just pickups and Ground will do the rest?

zeev

Eventually everything will be Ground the Express stations will not be worth it. Freight is available to help out as Ground as expanded. Contractors model has been used for years in trucking but has been going away because of the internet has allowed owner operators to bypass the companies for loads. Ground contractors and drivers have no leverage on freight and Fdx knows it.

MAKAVELI

Eventually everything will be Ground the Express stations will not be worth it. Freight is available to help out as Ground as expanded. Contractors model has been used for years in trucking but has been going away because of the internet has allowed owner operators to bypass the companies for loads. Ground contractors and drivers have no leverage on freight and Fdx knows it.
Freight might be able to help with line haul a little bit but they will not be delivering small packages.