Just curious what are the shipping rates like

BiggieBrown

I'm trying to figure out how much money UPS makes off my labor every night when I'm loading these trailers by myself and how badly I'm getting screwed breaking my body for them.

We usually do around 1500 packages, a lot of heavy industrial stuff. I'll go conservative and say the average weight to be around 20 lbs (it's more). I'll even subtract 300 from the total packages for smalls.

1200 packages at an average weight of 20 lbs says I'm loading 24,000 lbs or 12 tons of freight by myself every night, all within an hour and a half. At the end of the day I'm taking home about $36 to do this.

I'm assuming that the big industrial accounts we have get some kind of discount rate for being daily customers. But does anyone have a rough estimate on how much money UPS is paid in shipping fees for 24,000 lbs of packages? I want to see how much it dwarfs my $36.

BlackCat

I'm trying to figure out how much money UPS makes off my labor every night when I'm loading these trailers by myself and how badly I'm getting screwed breaking my body for them.

We usually do around 1500 packages, a lot of heavy industrial stuff. I'll go conservative and say the average weight to be around 20 lbs (it's more). I'll even subtract 300 from the total packages for smalls.

1200 packages at an average weight of 20 lbs says I'm loading 24,000 lbs or 12 tons of freight by myself every night, all within an hour and a half. At the end of the day I'm taking home about $36 to do this.

I'm assuming that the big industrial accounts we have get some kind of discount rate for being daily customers. But does anyone have a rough estimate on how much money UPS is paid in shipping fees for 24,000 lbs of packages? I want to see how much it dwarfs my $36.

Dont you get enough daily torture as it is?

Turdferguson

Just a turd

You'll be taking home more the longer you are there. So you feel that you should be getting more of the pie after working there a couple of months?
GTFO

FromOffTheStreets

You also have to add in all the other people who touch each package.
They guy that picked it up, the guy that unloaded it from the package truck, the guy that's loading it in the morning on the destination truck, the guy delivering it.
The fuel, the insurance, the wages, etc.

scratch

Least Best Moderator
Staff member
One of my supervisors once told me a trailer full of packages was worth about $96K of revenue. Trailer full of air a lot more than that.

MyTripisCut

Never bought my own handtruck
You also have to add in all the other people who touch each package.
They guy that picked it up, the guy that unloaded it from the package truck, the guy that's loading it in the morning on the destination truck, the guy delivering it.
The fuel, the insurance, the wages, etc.
Don’t forget the useless supervisors. The useless ORION system. Stock dividends. Loss prevention, clerks, mechanics.

Box Ox

You should ask management to unchain you from your work area and let you leave if the Company is making too much money off of you.

Box Ox

Oh don't worry "brother", I'm just about there.

Everybody has those thoughts. Spent a whole lotta time in trailers myself wondering what the hell I was doing there. Whether one sticks around or not just depends on their long term plans and commitment to get there.

BiggieBrown

One of my supervisors once told me a trailer full of packages was worth about $96K of revenue. Trailer full of air a lot more than that.
There's the answer I was looking for.
So I'm getting less than one one-thousandth of one percent of the value of the trailer and a broken back to boot.
Thanks now I have something to brood on tonight in the trailer.

cosmo1

Perhaps.
Staff member
So I'm getting less than one one-thousandth of one percent of the value of the trailer and a broken back to boot.
Thanks now I have something to brood on tonight in the trailer.

Tell your supe you'll split with the company. 48k per trailer.

Then, let us know how that works out.

MECH-lift

Union Brother ✊🧔 RPCD
Thanks now I have something to brood on tonight in the trailer
I’m pretty sure it says somewhere in the contract “ a fair days work for a fair days pay” , if your the one breaking your back it sounds like you are screwing yourself. SLOW DOWN CHAMP

FromOffTheStreets

Don’t forget the useless supervisors. The useless ORION system. Stock dividends. Loss prevention, clerks, mechanics.
Yep. Also forgot the actual vehicle, trailers, semis. Buildings, electric/ gas/ water bill, uniforms, dolly's. I'm sure there's much more...
Also a 20 lb.. package is around $30 x 1200ish = $36000.

burrheadd

KING Of GIFS

You need a hobby