Just HOW long can we drive- all over again!

wornoutupser

Hey gang,

Here we go again this year!
The 11 hour rule was tossed out this year in my building. I just did an 11.5 day driving.
We have drivers laid off and the rest of us are really in for it this time!
For those of us driving, Merry Christmas from the brown ka ching machine!

Covemastah

Hoopah drives the boat Chief !!
just remember 1 you cant punch back in unless you have 1o hrs off
2 you cant go over 60 hrs for the week includes lunch
3 don't let them snowball you, these are DOT regs!!!!

outta hours

The 11 hour rule is for actual driving time. It does not include the time you are at stops delivering or picking up. It would be impossible for a pkg. car driver to actually drive for 11 hours in one shift. In our feeder dept we have guys that do over a 600 mi. turn per day and never reach 11 hours of drive time. And they don't have any stops in between.

So while you did have a very long day delivering you were not in danger of violating any DOT regulations. Hang in there and have a safe peak.

rod

Retired 22 years
The 11 hour rule is for actual driving time. It does not include the time you are at stops delivering or picking up. It would be impossible for a pkg. car driver to actually drive for 11 hours in one shift. In our feeder dept we have guys that do over a 600 mi. turn per day and never reach 11 hours of drive time. And they don't have any stops in between.

So while you did have a very long day delivering you were not in danger of violating any DOT regulations. Hang in there and have a safe peak.

:slap: bull

bluehdmc

You can't drive more than 11 hours in one day.
You can't be on duty more than 14 hrs in one day, this includes lunch.
You can't drive more than 60hrs in one week this time is not calculated using lunches. After the 60hrs you could technically still work in non driving duties, sorting, etc.
I don't really know how stops: pickups or deliveries would be calculated. If you were to use a paper logbook, everything is rounded to 15 mins. this is the way the IVIS works in the tractor. A stop is considered "on-duty not driving"So 2 or 3 minute stops would not be recorded.
You can't drive again until you've been off for 10 hrs, this resets your "daily" clock after you've accumulated 60 hrs you can't drive until you've been off for 34 consecutive hours. this resets the clock. The 34 hr rule resets the clock anytime.
You could technically work 7 days a week, 8 and 1/2 hrs or so a day and not be in violation. Or 4 13hr days, 1 8 hr day and take the weekend off.

feeder53

ADKtrails
I believe Bluehdmc is correct in his post. In the Logbooks, as soon as you stop for over 15 minutes, you log down to on duty not driving. I drove for TNT Redstar and they would run us to the letter of the law. There were times when I had enough time to run 7 days a week.

You can't drive more than 60hrs in one week this time is not calculated using lunches. After the 60hrs you could technically still work in non driving duties, sorting, etc.
I don't really know how stops: pickups or deliveries would be calculated. If you were to use a paper logbook, everything is rounded to 15 mins. this is the way the IVIS works in the tractor. A stop is considered "on-duty not driving"So 2 or 3 minute stops would not be recorded.
You can't drive again until you've been off for 10 hrs, this resets your "daily" clock after you've accumulated 60 hrs you can't drive until you've been off for 34 consecutive hours. this resets the clock. The 34 hr rule resets the clock anytime.
You could technically work 7 days a week, 8 and 1/2 hrs or so a day and not be in violation. Or 4 13hr days, 1 8 hr day and take the weekend off.

At the UPS we work for you cannot be on the clock more than sixty hours a week,period.

What'dyabringmetoday???

All of the above rules are true if you use a log book. Delivery drivers do not use a log book. There is other language in the DOT book to cover this but you need to have a Harvard education to understand it. Actually, you need to be a supervisor to twist it to fit your needs. It used to be required to be off the clock within 12 hours from the time you started work and that included all lunch and break time. This would ensure not going over 60 and no log would be needed to show the times. It later changed to up to 14 hours but no more than 60 for the whole week. I believe it has been challenged, with the help of the Teamsters (for those of you that think they do nothing) and I have not heard if it has gone back to the 12 hour rule. It would seem that something could be done to simplify the language. If we had a few more drivers, it would not matter anyhow.

HEFFERNAN

Huge Member
As a driver, they can work you 5 consectutive days of 11 paid hours. There is no issue there.

But in our building with drivers coming in on Sundays to sort, then the 60 hour limit becomes a factor.
So if you worked 8 hours on Sunday, and Mon-Thu you work 11 paid hours, that would be 52 hours and you could not exceed 8 hours on Friday period.

This is usually not an issue in the bigger centers because they can stagger work around to keep you in compliance. This is a true scenario that popped up 2 peaks ago in our center.

Cementups

Box Monkey
We have had guys in the past get to Friday and only be allowed out delivering 4-5 hour, cause they were out of time. 60 hour max., per week.

rod

Retired 22 years
? If you believe a part of my answer is incorrect please feel free to correct it.

So if what you say is true (which it isn't) how do you account for all the times I have seen delivery drivers grabbed out of their vehicals and made to punch out before their 60 hour limit is reached. I know NOTHING about feeders (other than they bend in the middle and go tsssssssh) but YES it is possible to go over 60 hours a week in delivery. But all hell will break loose if you do.:peaceful:

705red

Browncafe Steward
You can go over 60 hours as long as when you hit that 60 you are not driving a truck or company vehicle. You could be loading, unloading even pushing a broom but not driving!

outta hours

So if what you say is true (which it isn't) how do you account for all the times I have seen delivery drivers grabbed out of their vehicals and made to punch out before their 60 hour limit is reached. I know NOTHING about feeders (other than they bend in the middle and go tsssssssh) but YES it is possible to go over 60 hours a week in delivery. But all hell will break loose if you do.:peaceful:

Because your argument in regards to my misinformation has nothing to do with the question that was asked by the original poster or my (CORRECT)response to them.

The original question was about exceeding 11 hours of work in a single day. The 11 hr. rule only applies to time spent driving the vehicle. Actual driving time,to which my point was that it was impossible for a pkg. car driver to drive that much in a single shift. Drive time is only calculated when the wheels are in motion. A large portion of a pkg. car drivers paid day occurs when the vehicle is stopped. That is the point I was making to the original poster.

UPS does not have an IVIS (like in feeders) in pkg. cars to keep track of drive time because it is unnecessary. A delivery driver would never come close to actually driving 11 hours. I never said that pkg. drivers could not get close to the 60 hr. limit and be taken out of service early. That happens quite often this time of year. The 60 hr. rule was not mentioned anywhere by the original poster. I was only responding to the question that was asked.

I appreciate your attempt to point out my errors. Of which you were so very confident that I made. I enjoy the discussions and the information that can be obtained here. I have little patience with anyone who feels they need to be catty (which you were) hence the parenthesis with your comments to me. I suggest before you respond with your great knowledge of all things UPS, that you might spend a tad bit longer reading the actual question that was asked before responding negatively to someone trying to help.

rod

Retired 22 years
I appreciate your attempt to point out my errors. Of which you were so very confident that I made. I enjoy the discussions and the information that can be obtained here. I have little patience with anyone who feels they need to be caddy (which you were) hence the parenthesis with your comments to me. I suggest before you respond with your great knowledge of all things UPS, that you might spend a tad bit longer reading the actual question that was asked before responding negatively to someone trying to help.

You said if I believed a part of your answer was incorrect to feel free to correct it----(it was) so I did.

outta hours

You said if I believed a part of your answer was incorrect to feel free to correct it----(it was) so I did.

I would be happy to read your response. Please (READ) my first response and explain what is (incorrect). I think you have confused two different numerical hour rules the 60 hrs. worked and the 11 hr. drive time rule. The 60hr rule was never mentioned. There is also a 14 hr. rule if you would like to (confuse) yourself further with your replies.( Thanks)

rod

Retired 22 years
I would be happy to read your response. Please (READ) my first response and explain what is (incorrect). I think you have confused two different numerical hour rules the 60 hrs. worked and the 11 hr. drive time rule. The 60hr rule was never mentioned. There is also a 14 hr. rule if you would like to (confuse) yourself further with your replies.( Thanks)

Your post about it being "impossible for a "package car driver" to drive (work) an 11 hour shift is total B.S. You are the one that is confused my friend.

chev

Nightcrawler
Your post about it being "impossible for a "package car driver" to drive (work) an 11 hour shift is total B.S. You are the one that is confused my friend.
Rod, all due respect to you brother, but he is refering to actuall accumulated "drive time", and not an actual work day.
It really is impossible for a package driver to accumulate 11 solid hours of drive time. The rule is designed to keep any one driver from accumulating too many hours per day behind the wheel.
Hope this helps.
~chev

JustTired

free at last.......
While I'm not going to agree or disagree with what has already been said, I do have one question.
What is the big difference in reference to safety between being behind the wheel for 11 straight hours and working delivery for 11 straight hours? Seems to me fatigue becomes a factor regardless.

Heck, if you want my opinion, I don't think anyone doing either job should be working over 9 hours. If you enjoy working over that, maybe you should work in a sweatshop in China. The pay isn't great...but the hours will be satisfying!