Just like 97' all over again!

CentralSup

Maybe I wrong but didn't FedEx make ship jumping companies sign long term contacts last time if they switched at the last minute because they were overwhelmed.

I'm not sure how Fedex does contracts. Contract negotiations were only one slice of the pie. From what I understand the customer's corporate management team forced them to switch, they didn't want to because they have good relationships with our feeder drivers and center management team. It was probably a switch they'd been planning for awhile.

bbsam

Staff member
Our center had our largest customer switch to Fedex about two weeks ago. They would send 4 trailers worth of outgoing packages to our local sort, now they only send us 25% of a trailer with all their 3rd party billing packages. Local Sort volume dropped by about 35-40% a day.

One of their reasons was they don't want their business to be interrupted by a strike and would be willing to come back and make a deal once the contract negotiations are over.
The longer it drags out and IF the customer doesn’t see huge drop offs in service, the negotiations for sales to get them back become significantly harder.

ski or die

Ski or Die
Maybe I wrong but didn't FedEx make ship jumping companies sign long term contacts last time if they switched at the last minute because they were overwhelmed.
Yes, you are correct. But most of the companies who found other services to use and did not sign long term contracts returned immediately. UPS profits showed the clients were more interested in using UPS.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I’ll tell u what. When they take out a 400 plus piece disaster and leave it at the side of the road I will be laughing my ass off.
That’s just an urban legend amongst the smug Teamsters.
I took out a full load everyday of the strike. Wasn’t that hard since there were no pickups.
The only problem I had was with Union dock workers at which time I pulled the back door down and told the manager that if he wanted his packages to bring a truck and I would let him have them elsewhere.
Luckily I was in the South most the time.
It was more of a problem in the Seattle Redmond hub.
First time I delivered out of a P-1000.
Damn long PC.

brown_trousers

I bet fedex could handle the volume if they adopted personal vehicle deliveries like amazon does. And they are completely willing to screw over their employees like that.

And not to mention that amazon is looking for an opportunity to expand in this market

And i heard something about DHL looking to expand domestically as well

barnyard

KTM rider
We just had a pretty big sales push in our center and signed a bunch of new daily pick up accounts. 1 of them is 70-100 pieces a day and they want to start doing shipments to Canada.
I have 1 pickup where we discuss contract issues a little, but a strike is something they do not think is going to happen.

rod

Retired 22 years
That certainly wasn’t the case after the ‘97 strike.

I didn't say UPS wouldn't lose business but eventually they come back. Are there any from 97 that never did? It seems to me UPS can't handle what they have now. If I recall I think our center was back to full strength within 6 months of the strike--maybe sooner. The majority of the troops were back within a month.

Old Man Jingles

Rat out of a cage
I didn't say UPS wouldn't lose business but eventually they come back. Are there any from 97 that never did? It seems to me UPS can't handle what they have now. If I recall I think our center was back to full strength within 6 months of the strike--maybe sooner. The majority of the troops were back within a month.
They came back but not with all their volume.
The maturation of electronic manifests for incoming and actual delivery by other carriers makes billing management and consolidation as simple as hitting a key to merge all inbound and outbound data.

It’s a different world today.

Brownslave688

You want a toe? I can get you a toe.
We just had a pretty big sales push in our center and signed a bunch of new daily pick up accounts. 1 of them is 70-100 pieces a day and they want to start doing shipments to Canada.
I have 1 pickup where we discuss contract issues a little, but a strike is something they do not think is going to happen.
Because we won't.

Even if it gets voted down big time we will just work under the current contract