Kansas comes through!

bbsam

Staff member
Profitable for FedEx maybe. Profitable for you is a different story. When you can't even pay as much as Express to keep drivers, it's all "relative".
Right. They have some serious decisions to make. They are not, however,on the verge of imploding.

overflowed

I have a feeling the contractor model may go away in the future. It is becoming a lot of company's kryptonite. There seems to be a big push to get company's off the government tit. Which in essence all these low pay no cost models are based on.

MAKAVELI

I don't see how Freight getting organized will do anything for Express, except taking away more benefits to pay for it.
They can't keep drivers with what they offer now. What makes you think they could justify more takeaways to pay Freight? Could you see the effect of a unionized Express would have on ground or would you still believe in that untouchable contractor model?

vantexan

They can't keep drivers with what they offer now. What makes you think they could justify more takeaways to pay Freight? Could you see the effect of a unionized Express would have on ground or would you still believe in that untouchable contractor model?
Taking away our traditional pension and stagnating pay hasn't lit a fire under the couriers so I doubt taking away other benefits will. The sick day bonus, how many weeks of vacation we get, taking away the 35 hr guarantee, the 401k match or just having the 401k and no portable pension...all or some could be on the table in coming years. The lowest payscale topout is around $24hr with the latest raise so I doubt you're going to see very many topped out couriers signing union cards. It'll be years before you see most of the topped out couriers gone.

vantexan

I have a feeling the contractor model may go away in the future. It is becoming a lot of company's kryptonite. There seems to be a big push to get company's off the government tit. Which in essence all these low pay no cost models are based on.
There are tens of millions of people making much less than what FedEx starts out at. Even Ground pays better than many jobs. I'm not talking about right or wrong, just the reality. Unless the government establishes a fairly high minimum wage we won't see many low paying jobs being offered more.

MAKAVELI

There are tens of millions of people making much less than what FedEx starts out at. Even Ground pays better than many jobs. I'm not talking about right or wrong, just the reality. Unless the government establishes a fairly high minimum wage we won't see many low paying jobs being offered more.
That maybe true in your area but not everywhere. Out here in California it's a revolving door. The job simply doesn't pay enough for the workload and bs. They don't even get many applicants that can pass the drug test and background. Ground is even worse. FedEx is no longer "better than most jobs".

MAKAVELI

Taking away our traditional pension and stagnating pay hasn't lit a fire under the couriers so I doubt taking away other benefits will. The sick day bonus, how many weeks of vacation we get, taking away the 35 hr guarantee, the 401k match or just having the 401k and no portable pension...all or some could be on the table in coming years. The lowest payscale topout is around $24hr with the latest raise so I doubt you're going to see very many topped out couriers signing union cards. It'll be years before you see most of the topped out couriers gone.
With the revolving door we have and more long tenured employees leaving either for retirement or better opportunities we wouldn't need those topped out drivers signing cards. They're becoming the minority in stations. That fire wasn't lit because of the brainwashing done by management and Fred's deep pockets when it comes to keeping his RLA exemption. The teamsters might be far from perfect but they haven't given up on FedEx. They are actively organizing Freight as they know it's their way in and will lead to organizing Express.

vantexan

With the revolving door we have and more long tenured employees leaving either for retirement or better opportunities we wouldn't need those topped out drivers signing cards. They're becoming the minority in stations. That fire wasn't lit because of the brainwashing done by management and Fred's deep pockets when it comes to keeping his RLA exemption. The teamsters might be far from perfect but they haven't given up on FedEx. They are actively organizing Freight as they know it's their way in and will lead to organizing Express.
But how will it lead to organizing Express given the RLA? I'm all for it, but bet most likely if Freight gets a union we will see more takeaways at Express, but no union.

vantexan

That maybe true in your area but not everywhere. Out here in California it's a revolving door. The job simply doesn't pay enough for the workload and bs. They don't even get many applicants that can pass the drug test and background. Ground is even worse. FedEx is no longer "better than most jobs".
I've often wondered if the day will come when there just aren't enough applicants willing to do the job. It's why they keep raising starting pay IMO.

bbsam

Staff member
I agree. If they truly want that change, it is well within their ability to get. Looking at the political climate, I'd say that future is quite a ways away. Between money in politics and gerrymandered districts I'm afraid the ugly status quo we see is here to stay for a decade if not longer. And by that time, who knows what the "hot button" labor questions of the day will be? Imagine what happens in 5 years when interest rates on a 30 year mortgage hit a respectable 6.5%. We have been living in an economic fantasy land with a lot of moving parts. Too big to fail has become epidemic.

MAKAVELI

But how will it lead to organizing Express given the RLA? I'm all for it, but bet most likely if Freight gets a union we will see more takeaways at Express, but no union.
The teamsters only need a way in to organize Express. Moral is low and turnover at all-time highs. How do you think all the bottom and mid range drivers will feel to see the freight division fight and negotiate for better pay , benefits and working conditions while realizing they will never be topped out or have a real pension without union representation? My guess is that many will feel they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.

M I Indy

But it's all relative.
Yes....Yes it is! I'll ask again. Tell me what a Ground Driver does that is inherently different than an Express driver? Express, the original division of this company, was built with employees as drivers. Just because you change the colors, doesn't change the duties. Ex bought a company that did the same basic duties that they do in Express, put their name on it, yet wanted to keep the company's business model. Companies can't pick and choose like that. Ex gets spanked in court all the time for this thought process.

bbsam

Staff member
Yes....Yes it is! I'll ask again. Tell me what a Ground Driver does that is inherently different than an Express driver? Express, the original division of this company, was built with employees as drivers. Just because you change the colors, doesn't change the duties. Ex bought a company that did the same basic duties that they do in Express, put their name on it, yet wanted to keep the company's business model. Companies can't pick and choose like that. Ex gets spanked in court all the time for this thought process.
According to MFE, Express and Ground are completely different as far as job description.

vantexan

The teamsters only need a way in to organize Express. Moral is low and turnover at all-time highs. How do you think all the bottom and mid range drivers will feel to see the freight division fight and negotiate for better pay , benefits and working conditions while realizing they will never be topped out or have a real pension without union representation? My guess is that many will feel they have nothing to lose and everything to gain.
The Teamsters could be organizing us right now given the morale and turnover. They're going after Freight because it's possible. And good for them. The only chance Express has IMO is the Teamsters go to a Democrat led government and point out how FedEx has tightened the screws even more on Express couriers to keep their profits up after Freight went union and we need union protection too. Not going to happen anytime soon. Getting half of all couriers to sign cards isn't going to happen without the union out in front of all stations handing out cards and info.

vantexan

We run a sort in the morning and a reload in the evening. We handle and receive annual training for hazmat. We meet time commitments throughout our day and are under pressure to get back in time for reload. We often don't have freight waiting for us when we come to work and are expected to get the work done and get back on time even though we got out of the building late. We get paid more because they couldn't keep us with all the demands put on us if we were paid like Ground. Many, if not most, would quit.

barnyard

KTM rider
Ok, I'm sure he will chime in, how about an answer according to you?

It is funny how you guys go round and round and round on this. MFE will chime in that FEE drivers are skilled and far more talented than a FEG driver.

The truth of the matter is that they are not that different. Combine FEE and FEG and you have a UPS driver.

BBsam is only doing what business people have been doing since the start of business, taking advantage of a business opportunity. He is following the rules as they are currently written, as is his right.

Eventually the contractor/ISP model will go away. Might be 20 years from now, but whatever. In the meantime, bbsam has a responsibility to make a living for his family. He has found one and it is currently legal. Even though many of us find it objectionable, the reality is it is legal.

MrFedEx

Engorged Member
I don't see how Freight getting organized will do anything for Express, except taking away more benefits to pay for it.

That's a loser attitude. Any progress against FedEx is significant. Maybe Fred can drop a few million from his Republican lobbying fund.

M I Indy

It is funny how you guys go round and round and round on this. MFE will chime in that FEE drivers are skilled and far more talented than a FEG driver.

The truth of the matter is that they are not that different. Combine FEE and FEG and you have a UPS driver.

BBsam is only doing what business people have been doing since the start of business, taking advantage of a business opportunity. He is following the rules as they are currently written, as is his right.

Eventually the contractor/ISP model will go away. Might be 20 years from now, but whatever. In the meantime, bbsam has a responsibility to make a living for his family. He has found one and it is currently legal. Even though many of us find it objectionable, the reality is it is legal.

Not me going round and round, bbsam just nevers answers that question. I agree they are not that different. According to MFE's argument I would classify Ground as employees (so be it, lower paid), same basic inherent task, deliver packages. The model will go away, sooner than later as states are tightening the tests determining employee or independent contractor, due the abusive maneuvers of the law. States make these rules, and Ex will never be able to satisfy all of them, even with current ISP model.