Lenexa Feeder Manager Has Rollaway?

tieguy

Banned
recieved text message today that Lenexa drivers plan to boycotts safety cook-out because of center manager!!!!!! His has fired several drivers for same thing!

Now thats funny . They're going to boycott free food at the safety cookout and save the company money in protest. :happy-very:

tieguy

Banned
honestly i still dont see how you forget to set your tractor brake

Whats interesting with this story would be the idea that the guy did it while being graded on a pretrip.

Let me explain how this works. You run around and demonstrate a complete pretrip while giving a verbal explanation of the pretrip.

Meanwhile another DTS trained trainer is grading you and marking off everything you're supposed to explain and demonstrate. If they had an auditor there then this is what he would be doing.

The grading is very detailed so when the trainer enters the tractor he would be required to tell the auditor that the parking brake is applied and the transimission is in neutral while physically demonstrating that he has checked both. If he fails to do so this is a DQ item where he then fails the certification.

If he moves the tractor then he would be required to tell the auditor that he has applied the tractor parking brake when he stops moving. Again DQ item. Since it is a DQ item this is one part of the certification that gets a lot of scrutiny. I guess it could happen but generally the chance of both missing the point that the parking brake was not applied is pretty slim.

Here is where it gets even more interesting. In this relationship the person doing the grading is also considered the trainer of the one demonstrating. That means he is supposed to watch the person demonstrating grade him and stop him from doing anything unsafe.

So in this role if this happened as rumored then both the manager and the auditor would be at fault for the roll a way.

The wording of the description of this event also cast some doubt. If it was worded as an incident then that would probably mean there was some type of mechanical failure of the equipment which would have to be verified by the shop.

So as presented if we are to believe the story as presented then:

a) Niether person saw the parking brake was not applied. Possible but highly unlikely.

b) The auditor was not from lenexa. This means he would have been a former dts instructor working as an auditor at some region level capacity. The chance of that person missing the parking brake not being applied is very unlikely.

c) Roll a way described as an incident rather then accident. This means Lenexas onroad manager , safety manager, automotive shop and region transportation office were all engaged in a cover up of a roll away accident.

I think there is much more to this story then has been presented here so far.

over9five

Staff member
recieved text message today that Lenexa drivers plan to boycotts safety cook-out because of center manager!!!!!! His has fired several drivers for same thing!

I've seen this work very well! It's quite the slap in the face to the center manager when everyone but 2 safety weasels walk by his little cookout. The key is everyone participates, and no one says anything beforehand. Let us know how it goes.

There always is....

P

pickup

tie guy - I think there is much more to this story then has been presented here so far.

I think you might be right!

P

pickup

Now thats funny . They're going to boycott free food at the safety cookout and save the company money in protest. :happy-very:

I think they are going to save a lot of mangement people money in their food bills as the uneaten food will probably end up in their refrigerators and freezers.

over9five

Staff member
I think they are going to save a lot of mangement people money in their food bills as the uneaten food will probably end up in their refrigerators and freezers.

Just the look on his face when he asks 50 drivers to come have a hamburger, and they all say "No thanks". Priceless!

brown67

Just started as a package/feeder driver a month ago. Why is it that we don't put tractors in gear like a package car? No one seems to know why.

over9five

Staff member
Just started as a package/feeder driver a month ago. Why is it that we don't put tractors in gear like a package car? No one seems to know why.

A Feeder driver in NNE lost the big nationwide tractor trailer competition because of this. He parked his tractor in neutral, as is UPS policy.

Industry Standard however, is to park it in the lowest forward gear.

He told me at the time (last year), that he felt UPS would change their policy to match the Industry Standard soon. We'll see.

trickpony1

In the days of the air assisted clutch, if the driver left it in gear and the air leaked completely off then the driver couldn't get it out of gear to start the engine.
The GMC Astros had air assist clutch.
This may have been before your time.

trickpony1

A Feeder driver in NNE lost the big nationwide tractor trailer competition because of this. He parked his tractor in neutral, as is UPS policy.

He told me at the time (last year), that he felt UPS would change their policy to match the Industry Standard soon. We'll see.

Yep, and double clutching is still considered a "method" by UPS even though knowledgeable sources say it is hard on the clutch components. Driver examiners have even told new feeder drivers taking their road test that they don't have to double clutch.
What does that tell ya?

tieguy

Banned
Yep, and double clutching is still considered a "method" by UPS even though knowledgeable sources say it is hard on the clutch components. Driver examiners have even told new feeder drivers taking their road test that they don't have to double clutch.
What does that tell ya?

tells me thier not paying for the transmissions.:happy-very:

wannabeups

Had an older driver tell me one time that the reason for leaving it in neutral was so in case the tractor was moved it wouldn't jump start and take off. I asked how is it gonna start up and take off it the ignition switch is not on. I got no response.

Can someone explain this to me?................ "I'm all ears"

JimJimmyJames

Big Time Feeder Driver
The private school UPS sent me to instructed me to double clutch. The in house training we had afterwards taught us to double clutch also. They pay me to double clutch so thats what I do.

I personally feel double clutching saves on wear and tear of the transmission.

MechanicForBrown

Prblm found,part on order
The private school UPS sent me to instructed me to double clutch. The in house training we had afterwards taught us to double clutch also. They pay me to double clutch so thats what I do.

Sorry but I have to disagree;
  1. Not double clutching can get you more miles out of the clutch, many more!
  2. Double clutching will reduce the miles you can put on the clutch because unlike shifting without a clutch the clutch is disengaged and engaged more. Simple laws of friction.
  3. And to give an example, I had a Mack CH600 in my fleet that got its first clutch @ 678k, 678K, thats nuts! Good driver. Although the average for a clutch on this particular kind of tractor is about 500k witch is still impressive. But drivers who use the clutch faithfully can expect around 350-400k.:peaceful:
  4. And as far as wear and tear on the tranny, not using a clutch can put more wear on the tranny itself if you don't shift right, but if you can shift well all the time without a clutch then the amount of wear on clutch and tranny is much reduced. JMHO from a mechanics standpoint.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
In the days of the air assisted clutch, if the driver left it in gear and the air leaked completely off then the driver couldn't get it out of gear to start the engine.
The GMC Astros had air assist clutch.
This may have been before your time.
Thanks Trick. Learned something new. Having driven tractor/trailers for a number of years it was just standard practice to park out of gear. When I started driving for UPS I had to retrain myself.

Never really thought about the reason why it was practice to park out of gear until the question was brought up.

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS

Might save wear and tear on the tranny but it sure the hell doesn't save wear and tear on your knee. :knockedout:

dilligaf

IN VINO VERITAS
  2. Double clutching will reduce the miles you can put on the clutch because unlike shifting without a clutch the clutch is disengaged and engaged more. Simple laws of friction.
  3. And to give an example, I had a Mack CH600 in my fleet that got its first clutch @ 678k, 678K, thats nuts! Good driver. Although the average for a clutch on this particular kind of tractor is about 500k witch is still impressive. But drivers who use the clutch faithfully can expect around 350-400k.:peaceful:
  4. And as far as wear and tear on the tranny, not using a clutch can put more wear on the tranny itself if you don't shift right, but if you can shift well all the time without a clutch then the amount of wear on clutch and tranny is much reduced. JMHO from a mechanics standpoint.
MFB, I agree with you. (not that I'm a mechanic) I learned to slip shift and it is, by far, less stressfull on everything involved (including my knee) if done properly. I would have a hard time not doing it. Habit. The only thing you need a clutch for is starting out. IMHO

bluehdmc

Had an older driver tell me one time that the reason for leaving it in neutral was so in case the tractor was moved it wouldn't jump start and take off. I asked how is it gonna start up and take off it the ignition switch is not on. I got no response.

Can someone explain this to me?................ "I'm all ears"

Many of your older diesel engines (in particular Macks) had a knob you pulled which was a manual shut-off for the engine. It was the way the injector pump was designed. If the shut off even went in a little ways and the vehicle got bumped, (in particular with spring brakes, if the yellow button wasn't pulled out either) the engine would start and the truck would just idle along until it hit something that stopped it.

bluehdmc

If you go to Eatons website and view their online videos they recommend double-clutching. If I recall they say the average driver shifting without the clutch will mess up about 20% of his shifts. Which they feel is more detrimental to the transmission. Most clutch wear happens when starting out or backing up when your "slipping" the clutch, particularly backing up spotting a trailer. When you shift and double clutch you quickly disengage and engage the clutch. The slippage is minimal then.

(I'm an ex-mechanic, ASE certified although they've expired.)

raceanoncr

Whats interesting with this story would be the idea that the guy did it while being graded on a pretrip.

Let me explain how this works. You run around and demonstrate a complete pretrip while giving a verbal explanation of the pretrip.

Meanwhile another DTS trained trainer is grading you and marking off everything you're supposed to explain and demonstrate. If they had an auditor there then this is what he would be doing.

Yes, you are entirely correct! There IS much more to this story than has been presented here so far! In first starting this thread, I was asking if anyone had heard this. I got my answers, here, in PMs, in phone calls. I'm not going to go into anymore details here. I got my answer. I'm satisfied with the answers.

One answer I didn't get is if he was being audited, by anyone, his own, region, corporate. I don't care. It doesn't matter. I DO know that he rolled away. Period. I DO know that he did other things to try to cover this up.

CORPORATE BC MONITORS...
Are you listening? Are you reading? Are you following up on this? THIS is an integrity issue. The honorable thing to do is deal with this so that others may see it. If you don't, you will have more problems than you can realize.

I don't care if he's fired, suspended, reassigned, but this has to be dealt with so it can be seen that the company DOES hold up their end of the bargain. BARGAIN? Well, this guy is termination-happy, maybe rightly so in most cases. Why shouldn't WE also expect some kind of discipline?

I probably woulnd't mind working for a supe like Tieguy. He seems reasonable in most areas and one you might be able to work with if you just do your job and do it correctly. If this would have happened in my hub and Tieguy was at fault, it probably wouldn't matter to me because of the way he supposedly treats other drivers. But THIS guy seems out of control!

I implore you, Corporate, you MUST do something!